Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; ZA/UM

Disco days are here at last! It's been almost four years since ZA/UM's Disco Elysium was revealed to the world as No Truce With The Furies. During that time, both the game and the studio were renamed, the developers decamped from Estonia to London, the game was picked up and then dropped by a publisher, and the Codex previewed it twice (once for each title). I've never seen a game go so fast from being a vaporware dream to the second coming, but here we are. It's been difficult to find anybody with something bad to say about Disco Elysium, but now we'll find out what the average Codexer on the street has to say about it. Without further ado, here's the launch trailer:

Disco Elysium is available now on Steam and GOG for $40. Our friend Hellion from Ragequit.gr has reviewed the game and given it a 90%. Our own review will hopefully be ready within the next few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Infinitron stop posting news and play this fucking thing. You were right about it having a very dirtbag left* style sense of humor.

*That’s the so-called anti-woke left for anyone who’s got their hackles up because they’ve been hitting the hard stuff.**

**the hard stuff is fascism, bröthers.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
please don't suck, please don't suck, pretty please with sugar, nuts, a cherry and chocolate sprinkles don't suck

Deleted member 7219

I don't think much of the name but at least it isn't "No Truce with the Furies".

Bought it, downloading now. Hoping for some good conversation options and C&Cs.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Bought it, installed it and played for a half-hour on my lunchbreak. Loving it so far. Though 30 minutes isn't much to go on, I immediately love the aesthetic, the traits (Inland Empire!), the constant dice rolls in dialogue, and the dialogue itself.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
My advice - don't buy it before checking out gameplay at least. For some reason it's praised here even though the beginning is even worse than in Numenera. There's not much gameplay and skill checks can be overcome using save scumming (not that it's recommended or anything but it breaks the immersion when the same dialogue line might work not because of your skills but because of luck).

It's interesting that Numenera was trashed here but this game is praised for the same things.

I haven't played that much and my opinion might change but my first impression is - delete it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
My advice - don't buy it before checking out gameplay at least. For some reason it's praised here even though the beginning is even worse than in Numenera. There's not much gameplay and skill checks can be overcome using save scumming (not that it's recommended or anything but it breaks the immersion when the same dialogue line might work not because of your skills but because of luck).

It's interesting that Numenera was trashed here but this game is praised for the same things.

I haven't played that much and my opinion might change but my first impression is - delete it.

The dialogue is the gameplay.

TTON wasn’t ill-conceived—no one would’ve been disappointed if there hadn’t been real demand for a dialogue heavy, reactivity-rich CRPG. But they botched the execution. The story had no hook, the pacing was terrible, there was a lot to read but no particular reason to read it, and the mechanics were at war with the gameplay. They didn’t really support the kind of game inXile was trying to make.

None of that is true for Disco Elysium.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The last two RPGs I played for more than a few minutes were MOTB (in 2008) and AOD (in 2015). It seems like Disco Elysium is probably worth making the effort to play. My main question, for those now playing it, is it one of those games that is likely to be significantly improved with patches, such that waiting a year or so makes sense?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
The last two RPGs I played for more than a few minutes were MOTB (in 2008) and AOD (in 2015). It seems like Disco Elysium is probably worth making the effort to play. My main question, for those now playing it, is it one of those games that is likely to be significantly improved with patches, such that waiting a year or so makes sense?

It's already very polished, especially for a CRPG. There are a few spelling mistakes and occasionally the game will freeze after your character wakes up, but you can fix that by quicksaving and reloading. They had a real beta rather than using the player base to test it post release and it shows. If they'd released it six months ago, I might've told you to wait a couple of months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom