Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Fallen Heroes development on hold, Logic Artists moving on to third Expeditions game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Fallen Heroes; Larian Studios; Logic Artists

When the Original Sin 2 tactical spinoff Divinity: Fallen Heroes was announced back in March with an intended release date of later this year, we were all expecting to be bombarded with information about it during E3 and Gamescom. Instead it completely disappeared as Baldur's Gate III took center stage. Today it turns out there was a reason for that. Development has apparently not progressed as planned and so Larian have decided to declare the game "on hold", although it sounds like they still want to release it someday. Logic Artists will be on moving on to other things, namely the third Expeditions game confirmed last year. Here's the announcement:

It is with a profound sense of regret that today we announce Divinity: Fallen Heroes has been put on hold, as we fondly celebrate the work done so far. We’ve been working with Logic Artists for over a year since before the announcement on March 27, 2019. Though enthused by the reception of the announcement and the energy of our fans, we have taken many things into consideration over the course of the last few months, and today we’re ready to talk about its future.

Originally scheduled for a November 2019 release, it has become clear to everyone involved that the game will need far greater development time and resources than are available now to bring it to fruition, in a fun and sustainable way.

Going forward, we at Larian will continue to work on Baldur’s Gate 3 with news coming soon, and Logic Artists will be focusing on their own Expeditions games. As an independent developer ourselves, we understand and value the importance of a developer investing into their own IPs, and their own future.

We’re sorry for the players excited for Fallen Heroes, who will have to wait an unspecified period of time, but we strongly believe that bringing Fallen Heroes to fans should be done in a timeline that allows it to be developed soundly.

We value the work that everyone has put in to Fallen Heroes, and though we lament its status as of now, we all agree that there’s a great game in there that will sometime reach the players who await it.

Logic Artists shared the following statement: “It's always sad to put an exciting project on hold, but sometimes the realities of development and release schedules simply assert themselves in ways that are outside anyone's control. It's been an incredible honour to work with Larian on their Divinity IP, and everyone at Logic Artists has been blown away by how helpful and welcoming Larian has been throughout the project.

There's no doubt we've learned much that will benefit our own projects in the future, and we'll always be grateful for that experience. As our own team pivots to focus fully on the third installment of the Expeditions series and a new IP of our very own, we wish Larian the best of luck with Baldur's Gate 3. We can't wait to play it!”
It sounds like Logic Artists were committed to beginning development on Expeditions for THQ Nordic and were simply unable to finish Fallen Heroes on time. I wouldn't be surprised if Larian end up hiring another third-party studio to finish it.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great, I prefer much more another expeditions game than a crippled divinity with no story using the shitty armor system combat from D2

Also, now that THQ nordic owns logic studio, there is no reason to work for peanuts for other companies when you can push your own IP while having financial stability

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Come on, this isn't really bad news. I understand working with D:OS IP would provide a big paycheck to LA and people are lemmings which means an expeditions game can't really hope to sell as much as a Divinity game, but it doesn't change the fact that LA was prioritizing polishing a turd over developing their own very promising IP. And this spinoff title had all the red flags:

- Armour was confirmed to be the same idiotic thing as it was in D:OS2
- Larian's mentally challenged "writers" were tasked with doing the writing instead of LA themselves. Mind boggling decision and if the "writer" ever bothered to play Vikings and compare the writing to the trash that is D:OS2 then he/she/it/xir would immediately resign in shame
- The solution to initiative sounded like a bad one. Sorry, but individual initiative is the only way this game could possibly work in a non stupid way
- Only white pill was their announcement that the cancer ridden itemization got ditched, but no details on its replacement

So...yeah. Bad news, but also good news. Shame about Logic's wasted development time, tho. That's the real tragedy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- Armour was confirmed to be the same idiotic thing as it was in D:OS2

Because you saw it in some unofficial pre-alpha footage? Swen said he he regretted the mechanic so they might have ended up changing it.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The meme "cool story bro" has never seemed more appropriate. What an egg on the face.

Oh well. I was looking forward to game, but Baldur's Gate III and a new Expeditions game are huge upgrades over a Divinity tactics spinoff.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was particularly looking forward to the Dragon Commander-esque elements. I hope they'll keep those if they change the developer. Question is, which third party dev would Larian now trust with their IP?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
While I didn't particularly care for what they were showing, the idea of having a Larian-Logic Artists collaboration was pretty exciting. At least this means LA can focus on their next Expeditions game, so far they're doing a great job.

So there is no new Divinity game in the foreseeable future.
The Divinity setting itself is crap, and the brand doesn't have a defined gameplay style, so perhaps they will try to replace it with something more exciting after they finish with BG3 and the Larian name overshadows Divinity? We can only hope.

Cross

Arcane
Is there any precedent for a game turning out well after a public announcement that's it been put on hold and handed to a different developer to finish?

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Not going to lie, I thought this sounded like a cool idea, and I'm pretty disappointed to see this one being put on hold. Oh well, hopefully LA knocks it out of the park with the next Expeditions!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Personally I was ready for the Savage Worlds to Divinity's Ultima. Larian's systems and engine need a change of genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom