Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

S.torch

Arbiter
I'm pretty sure that AwesomeButton is talking about "innovation" in the context of RPGs that are FPS, like Fallout 3. Not about RPGs in general. At least that is what I understand.

Quillon

Arcane
It's a fucking rat and you're not even indoors, just walk past it.

I'd personally just run the hell away
rating_shittydog.gif
Small and fast things are scary af

It's a fucking rat and you're not even indoors, just walk past it.

What if the rat has a quest?

What if it has a quest to latch on your back/get under your clothes, ha?
rating_negativeman.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
1. Attempt to sneak past it.

Rat: I can smell you from a mile away.

2. Try to talk to it.

Nick: Hello there
Rat: Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity.
Nick: Are you Darth Roxor?
Rat: Perhaps.

3. Draw your weapon

Rat: Deadfire was ok though.

3. Holster your weapon

2. Try to talk to it.

Rat: So what are you doing in my game?
Nick: Former owners always become NPCs.
Rat: Can I have some phat loot?
Rat: I can make it worth your while.
Rat. *winks*.

3. Draw your weapon.

Rat: No homo.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
1. Attempt to sneak past it.

Rat: I can smell you from a mile away.

2. Try to talk to it.

Nick: Hello there
Rat: Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity.
Nick: Are you Darth Roxor?
Rat: Perhaps.

3. Draw your weapon

Rat: Deadfire was ok though.

3. Holster your weapon

2. Try to talk to it.

Rat: So what are you doing in my game?
Nick: Former owners always become NPCs.
Rat: Can I have some phat loot?
Rat: I can make it worth your while.
Rat. *winks*.

3. Draw your weapon.

Rat: No homo.

Slowly work your hand up and down the shaft of your weapon, nod and grin.

Roll to save versus poison, Rohypnol.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if he will eventually grasp the irony of bitching about bad graphics and lack of innovation, and doing it on a forum that worships pixelated games build around 40-year old gameplay concepts.
Are you just pretending to be dumb? This game is not a throwback and is first person. Graphics shortcomings are a legimitate complaint.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I wonder if he will eventually grasp the irony of bitching about bad graphics and lack of innovation, and doing it on a forum that worships pixelated games build around 40-year old gameplay concepts.
Are you just pretending to be dumb? This game is not a throwback and is first person. Graphics shortcomings are a legimitate complaint.
not to mention that complaints are mostly about aesthetics.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Legitimate complaints are instantly rendered illegitimate if they also apply to other games, especially if they are old games that you happen to like for other reasons. This is the ultimate argument of intelligent people. Do you feel the irony melting your nervous system as you realize how ironic this all is? Now bow.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Gameplay looks garbage, from the graphics to the shooting mechanics to the oversized weapon blocking half the screen to the small number of dialogue choices. You know im not one to critize rpg's for being more action games, i love action adventure games, but this shit is just bad.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Can somebody find the quote, where Leonard and Tim explicitly state, how graphics and animation in Outer worlds are to be the pinnacle and defining vision goals for the project?

Thanks in advance!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Amazing! Can a codex post be uninteresting and stupid at the same time? This fact probably wouldn't be fun, but I feel like it might be possible.

Trashos

Arcane
Potential lack of innovation is kinda important. What is the chance that creative people on a roll won't introduce innovations (even small ones) in their work? Not that big. That's, like, how such minds work.

Unless they are not on a roll.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Potential lack of innovation is kinda important. What is the chance that creative people on a roll won't introduce innovations (even small ones) in their work? Not that big. That's, like, how such minds work.

Unless they are not on a roll.

Troika wasn’t particularly innovative and they made fantastic stuff.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The flaw system is fairly fresh or at least a re-imagionation/twist of the trait system if anything. Leadership is huge improvement over Charisma from FNV.

The game certainly has fresh ideas or fresh takes on old ideas. It certainly something that we can't graps at fullest without actually play the game. Only a handful of flaws was actually revealed for example.

Trashos

Arcane
Troika wasn’t particularly innovative and they made fantastic stuff.

Arcanum was pretty innovative (character creation, crafting, some quest design etc-etc). For ToEE, innovation was already in the concept for the game (translating the rules and making them work in a cRPG). I don't know much about Bloodlines.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Gamers: I want a game that is exactly like all my favorite games
Also gamers: but it has to be completely new and different

Never gets old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom