Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Prime Junta

Obsidian has literary repped them

lvOIN4n.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't get out over your skis, the game had a 2377 player peak last night: https://steamdb.info/app/632470/graphs/ These are indie game numbers.

They had virtually zero marketing.

My best and only hope for DE's commercial success is that it's a critical hit, then goes viral, then people start picking it up. I'm really hoping the numbers will go up in the coming days.

They'll obviously go up over the weekend. But for now, frame of reference:

Age of Decadence: 703 peak players
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 7430 peak players

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
My best and only hope for DE's commercial success is that it's a critical hit, then goes viral, then people start picking it up. I'm really hoping the numbers will go up in the coming days.
I think it will have an opposite effect sadly. While the game clearly has PST qualities, I think it's way harder to get into. PST's outside appearance lured people that already knew infinity engine RPGs into the depths of it's writing. DE's gameplay and narrative will prove too innovative for generic gamers IMO, and a slush of negative "no combat lul" reviews will follow.

Quillon

Arcane
Played for 5 hours; its 23:nn and I'm about to start the autopsy in the garden in the f-----g dark, in my next session. So far its great but I feel like I'm playing it wrong by trying to behave. Also I still haven't left the premises of the motel, pacing seems off a bit touring in between motel-garden-car all day, if there is really a time limit it'll fuck me. On the bright side I'm looking forward to a wacky playthrough already.

might be big spoiler, maybe
it is great cop > tragedy(loss of wife/family) > miserable cop right?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Don't get out over your skis, the game had a 2377 player peak last night: https://steamdb.info/app/632470/graphs/ These are indie game numbers.

It will. It's got good scores and word of mouth. That just has to be discovered by players first.

Of course its never going to make AAA numbers. It's a highly rated, but niche game by definition. And theres nothing wrong with that. It's a big enough niche to sustain itself. And that niche tends to grow die-hard fans.

Cross

Arcane

They'll obviously go up over the weekend. But for now, frame of reference:

Age of Decadence: 703 peak players
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 7430 peak players
Both those games sold roughly the same amount of copies, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I think DE will definitely be a big hit. It's a very easy to jump into game, it has a very distinct style to it, the writing is intelligent, humorous and most importantly engaging. It's bizarrely charismatic. You can't help but want to keep playing and see what comes next.

There are also some genuinely great little systems here. I really like that Thought Cabinet, for example, and I like that you get to go more into the "guts" of the attributes to pinpoint what you want exactly. I hope future RPGs learn from what is found here, especially how your thoughts swarm you in various ways.

Prime Junta

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I still think that this is going to sell by word of mouth, or not at all. I'd be surprised if even ZA/UM thought they'd sell a gorillion copies at launch; the prerelease hype may have been intense but it was confined to extremely niche places -- like a thread or two here. Even some Codexians are going "wait what, where did this come from, is it any good?"

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I have this faint hope that this will somehow outsell low-effort 30min bait-and-switch techdemo Gone Home.
Probably not gonna happen though, but who knows.

tripedal

Savant
I just started the game over and ran into a bug: picking up the shoe outside doesn't actually add it to my inventory...I'm stuck with one shoe.

Egosphere

Arcane
I just started the game over and ran into a bug: picking up the shoe outside doesn't actually add it to my inventory...I'm stuck with one shoe.
happened to me once out of my 3 different attempts at the game so far, although for me it was the shoe inside

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom