Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Elin (formerly Elin's Inn) - Dwarf Fortress-like from the creator of Elona

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noacat/elin

This is a totally different game from Elin (Codex thread), which is put on hold, this is a Dwarf Fortress-like sim.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ElinsInn/comments/dgs2iz/about_elins_inn_and_help/

Hello everyone, this is a developer of Elona and Elin's Inn.

Elin's Inn is a game set in Ylva where you make a new comm and expand it as you like. Fans of Dwarf fortress kind of games(gnomoria, towns, kingdom adventurers etc) might find its gameplay familiar.

It has made a good progress last year but lately I'm having some problems such as motivating myself (as always) and thinking about which direction the gameplay should focus. Also, finding bug is getting more and more difficult as the game becomes larger.

Elin's Inn is my last attempt on making games and I'd very much appreciate if you can help me with your feedbacks and ideas(and bug reports too).

I will prepare a demo and upload it shortly(hopefully tomorrow).

Thanks!

f9mgv3o282s31.png

Alpha version is released: https://old.reddit.com/r/ElinsInn/comments/dh892w/elins_inn_010/

First off, thank you for taking the time to participate in this.

Here is the link to Elin's Inn 0.10.

Elin's Inn alpha0.10 Google Drive Link

■ About the demo , what can you do in the demo?

You can build your comm using bulid mode and watch your residents do some basic life stuff like eating and sleeping but that's mostly all you can do in this demo. You can also switch to AdvMode and walk around.

I'm aware that there's no game-balance yet and probably not fun to play around and I apologize if you were looking for more.

There are many things I'd like to ask to players but for now, I'd be interested in hearing your first impressions, general opinions and whether if you think the game is going to be good or not or if there's something that needs to be really changed(like UI and graphics) and so on. Any feedback is welcome.

■ Requirements

* 64bit Windows 7-10( Only tested on Windows 10 )

* At least DX10 compatible on-board graphic chip. Doesn't require much GPU power but CPU intensive due to pathfindings.

* 1GB+ memory, 200MB HDD space.

Why Elin is put on hold: https://old.reddit.com/r/Elona/comments/cxzioy/update_from_noa/eyyw8y5/

The title mentioned in the update is "Elin's Inn" and is actually a totally different game than Elin. It's a dwarf fortress/gnomoria/sims kind of game. I hate to disappoint you but the development of Elin has been suspended due to the lack of graphical resources. It may be possible to hire an artist and restart the project after "Elin's Inn" but it will be a long, long way to go. Another possibility for Elin would be to implement an adventure mode like the one seen in DF and it's somewhat already there as an experimental mode but I personally prefer keyboard control and top-down view for a roguelike game so those still need be reworked.

Anyhow, sorry for the lack of updates/news. I've been trying to make a new game or a sequel of Elona for maybe 7-8 years and utterly failing to do so. "Elin's Inn" is my final attempt and I hope I can deliver it to you this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

mogwaimon

Magister
Well Elona is basically a roguelike on animu-flavored crack to a power of 10 so if this game turns out to be Dwarf Fortress on animu-flavored crack I think it'll be a hit

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Dude failed to produce multiple versions of his other ideas so he went ahead and started a new game that requires extensive, complex designing and coding in order to be reactive and enjoyable.

What could go wrong?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
To be fair, Elona already involved extensive, complex designing and coding. I agree that dropping both it and his last project is a bad sign though, and I'm not super hyped for another dwarf fortress clone; I feel like there's plenty on the market already at varying levels of detail. I guess the anime niche hasn't been filled yet though. Unless you throw some mods at Rimworld.

I don't mind the drop in graphical quality but it's sad to see this guy spinning his wheels for so long without releasing anything really playable, since Elona was such a fantastic game. Such a waste of talent, I hope this project goes somewhere.

Codex Year of the Donut
Dude failed to produce multiple versions of his other ideas so he went ahead and started a new game that requires extensive, complex designing and coding in order to be reactive and enjoyable.

What could go wrong?
I've never played it but I've seen Elona receive heavy praise.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

What could go wrong?

From what I understand, yeah. Elona was a game with tons of reactivity, freedom and depth.

I'm not talking about Elona though, but rather his subsequent failed projects which he talks about if you read the OP. Like, if you're trying to recoup from a bad string of failures, I would think of not trying to tackle an even more difficult endeavor but rather a smaller, less difficult one so that a smaller success might pave the way for the next one.

Codex Year of the Donut

What could go wrong?

From what I understand, yeah. Elona was a game with tons of reactivity, freedom and depth.

I'm not talking about Elona though, but rather his subsequent failed projects which he talks about if you read the OP. Like, if you're trying to recoup from a bad string of failures, I would think of not trying to tackle an even more difficult endeavor but rather a smaller, less difficult one so that a smaller success might pave the way for the next one.
His failures might be entirely psychological caused by the success of Elona and his fear that his new projects won't measure up to it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

So, confusingly this is now titled "Elin".

And got Steam page. Coming to Early Access... someday.

ss_8ca392709aa1cb6a45fc5a30f8266058219615c9.600x338.jpg
ss_f6a8935fd05c00dfc0d38cf67c7b99c0197ac1e6.600x338.jpg

notpl

Arbiter
So is that video still the only thing that exists after three years?

Lafrontier

Lafrontier
Developer

Elin's Inn was basically Elin's development name. The name changed to Elin due to some story and game mechanic related changes in development concepts.

Lafrontier

Lafrontier
Developer

Elin's Inn was basically Elin's development name. The name changed to Elin due to some story and game mechanic related changes in development concepts.

Oh wow are you Elona developer? Or are you his English translator team?
I am involved with Elin's development, I'm not Noa though to be clear.

Lafrontier

Lafrontier
Developer
Hello, I'm Rusty of Lafrontier. Part of a small development group for Roguelike JRPG Elin. Roguelikes and JRPG's are my two favorite genres and I've been a bit of a lurker at rpgcodex for a long time.

We just released our Pre-launch page for Elin's Kickstarter recently. As far as Elin, it's the prequel to Elona by it's original developer.

Elin is traditional roguelike meets JRPG and just like in Elona - gameplay mechanics will involve being able to do things like play a snail, turn armor into raw meat and eat it or grow extra feet for when a single pair of boots isn't enough. We released a Tech demo around Christmas showcasing new building mechanics and a fairly powerful editor integrated into standard gameplay for building anything from a hut in the woods or a small farm to shops and towns. We also have a dedicated artist who is wonderfully talented and has produced beautiful SNES era art.

Our game will be released on Steam and before full release will have an Alpha/Beta and Early access phase. Please feel free to ask questions and/or share what you would like to see in a JRPG Roguelike!

Pre-launch page for Elin's Kickstarter
Tech demo
Steam page

Edit: Please note that Elin is not a Dwarf fortress-like. The merged topic references early design for Elin. Elin does use a lot of features that were designed during this time and we have built on them even further but we took those systems and merged them with a design closer to Elona.

-Rusty

Last edited:

Lafrontier

Lafrontier
Developer
Please feel free to ask questions and/or share what you would like to see in a JRPG Roguelike!
1. Will there be a release not tied to Steam? I’m on win 7 and they’re gonna kick me off :)
2. Will this game support mods like Elona?
1. Oh man, I didn't realize that would be a thing. That's concerning. Elin "development" will most likely be tied to Steam exclusively but I will bring this issue up with the dev team to consider alternatives.

2. Elona didn't really support mods, that required us sharing the source. I think the community, including Noa uses the term variants. Some other roguelikes use terms like forks. Having said that, it's too early for us to consider mods. There's a LOT that we have planned and we intend for many features to be a part of the base game. I personally would like to minimize the risk of modders releasing content that we planned to do anyway.

We want to make the base game into the best possible state it can be without having to worry that the community is going to accuse us of "stealing ideas". As it is, I don't think anyone on the dev team has even played Elona+ but involvement in the community has already shown us that some of our ideas for Elin seem to have been implemented in Elona variants.

We are actually avoiding mods specifically to not draw ideas from variants. It's a complicated subject for us though.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hopefully the dev has half a braincell not to put any significant time and effort into supporting a long since sunsetted commercial OS. Put that effort into proper Linux support if anything.

Lafrontier

Lafrontier
Developer
Hopefully the dev has half a braincell not to put any significant time and effort into supporting a long since sunsetted commercial OS. Put that effort into proper Linux support if anything.
I'm not here for Windows vs Linux discussion. The tech demo already runs on Steam Deck so not only do we seem to have more than half a brain cell but both OS's communicate with each-other due to the interconnected protons. If we ever meet in real life though, I'm more than willing to sit down with a bottle of wine and watch the sunset while killing some brain cells though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is this old news repeated? HERE!

Nvm... i should have read the prev posts.

Currently they're at
$256K+ raised. Good lord.

Elin​

The prequel to Elona, the legendary Japanese free Roguelike JRPG - ローグライクな伝説のフリーゲームElonaの続編

From free to CA-CHING!

???
rCZZOX1.jpg

Dl1dlkJ.jpg

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Damn wish it was GOG sold instead of steam key. The physicals look interesting and it is a damn shame they didn't offer add-ons like the coin by itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom