Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Rieser

Scholar
Huh. Finished the game - took 17 hours. Was anticipating it to be... longer. Granted, I did have an event where I got injured and time skipped 2 or 3 days. I'm guessing that's avoidable... Oh well, at least I got a happy ending.

Guess I'll start a new run in a few days and see how much I missed.

God fucking DAMN it rhetoric don't do me like this

9B3E2AE037CC45DB201B6575F7CD4ECB8EA9FBF1

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because it's Commie dog shit. I had it on my wishlist for 3 years, removed it, never going to play it.

He is in NO WAY a critique on Communism as an ideal.

He is a critique on the horrors of war and is a stubborn old dog, refusing to let go of the past.

He is simply another example of a Communist doing it "the wrong way". I got news for you, 'real' Communists did not like Stalin. Because "'real' Communism hasn't been tried yet" brah.

None of the characters are intended to be a critique of anything. They’re just characters. But it’s silly to claim that this game is communist agitprop when the only self-avowed communist NPC is that guy.

Disco gives you the choice to play as a communist. If you don’t take that choice, there really isn’t that much communist inflected content in it. It sounds like you watched a let’s play where someone clicked all the communist dialogue options. That’s not the whole game, it’s one guy’s playthrough. If he’d chosen to pick all the libertarian dialogue options, it would’ve come off as a game obsessed with free markets.

And, again, the game really DOES NOT lionize you for going all in on communism. Instead, it treats you like Don Quixote.

Goose

Learned
Because it's Commie dog shit. I had it on my wishlist for 3 years, removed it, never going to play it.

He is in NO WAY a critique on Communism as an ideal.

He is a critique on the horrors of war and is a stubborn old dog, refusing to let go of the past.

He is simply another example of a Communist doing it "the wrong way". I got news for you, 'real' Communists did not like Stalin. Because "'real' Communism hasn't been tried yet" brah.

None of the characters are intended to be a critique of anything. They’re just characters. But it’s silly to claim that this game is communist agitprop when the only self-avowed communist NPC is that guy.

Disco gives you the choice to play as a communist. If you don’t take that choice, there really isn’t that much communist inflected content in it. It sounds like you watched a let’s play where someone clicked all the communist dialogue options. That’s not the whole game, it’s one guy’s playthrough. If he’d chosen to pick all the libertarian dialogue options, it would’ve come off as a game obsessed with free markets.

And, again, the game really DOES NOT lionize you for going all in on communism. Instead, it treats you like Don Quixote.

Yeah okay, it's not Communist agitprop unless a character specifically says they are a Communist. Okay.

Who's dick do I gotta suck to get buttons so I don't have to type out responses?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finished the game, think I got a good ending so that's nice

Wondering about which kind of character to go next

Also have some spoiler-y question:

There was no moment in the game where I got a flashback sequences about Du Bois's woman leaving him, like it showed in the trailer for the game, did anyone get that and how?

What would you say, how long on average is the game?
Long,i am on the third day and played for like 20ish hours.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck this game is gud,but also the most faggot game i have played lol. I take it that all the ZAUM are massive faggots,and part of the underground.

Waste of a good skill point.
TsICYLg.png

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game, think I got a good ending so that's nice

Wondering about which kind of character to go next

Also have some spoiler-y question:

There was no moment in the game where I got a flashback sequences about Du Bois's woman leaving him, like it showed in the trailer for the game, did anyone get that and how?

Long,i am on the third day and played for like 20ish hours.
the game have only been released for around 30 hours and you have played 20 hours. NEET-dom is amazing

Jrpgfan

Erudite
is this really selling badly? because it's been in #1 top seller everytime i see it.

i expect i would make half of estonia's GDP by the first week

Even IGN reviewed(very positively) the game, so they'll probably get there eventually.

It is, however, a PST clone, so expecting huge sales was already unrealistic to begin with.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It is, however, a PST clone, so expecting huge sales was already unrealistic to begin with.

I wouldn't call it a PST clone, more like the natural evolution of it

I really want MCA to play the game and see what he thinks about it. After playing DE, you feel like combat was a straitjacket when coming back to PST, and it would have been better without and instead replaced them with the dynamic interior discussions of DE

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I wouldn't call it a PST clone, more like the natural evolution of it.

I meant it falls under the same category(text-heavy, story-focused RPG), which is a very niche type of game within an already niche genre(redding is teh hard for the vast majority of players).

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, combat is not missed here at all, in fact it feels like it wouldn't fit here. I'm okay with most combat in PS:T though, even if thugs are trash mobs it fit the setting right imo.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, combat is not missed here at all, in fact it feels like it wouldn't fit here. I'm okay with most combat in PS:T though, even if thugs are trash mobs it fit the setting right imo.

I get that, a D&D game without combat would have been odd, I just feel like, imagine a young MCA had played DE and then designed PST, the game would probably have been even more mindblowing

Deleted Member 16721

I get that, a D&D game without combat would have been odd, I just feel like, imagine a young MCA had played DE and then designed PST, the game would probably have been even more mindblowing

I agree in principal, even though I don't feel you could get more mindblowing than PS:T. But PS:T with tactical dialogue-based combat would have been phenomenal.

i feel you. feels like stygian would be better too without the shitty combat

Agreed. Combat unfortunately makes me not want to play Stygian.

Tigranes

Arcane
Conu attacks you with Skinhead Machete +1.
Conu hits you! for 6 damage.
You attack Conu with Kim's handkerchief.
Critical miss!
You take 3 damage.
You fall unconscious!

You wake up in the dumpster next to a skull.
Sadly, it does not speak.

Jinn

Arcane
I thought the lack of tactical combat in this game was going to bother me way more than it actually does. It's hard to tell from screenshots and gameplay videos, but the dialogues really do keep you engaged with a continued feeling of "playing" rather than just the reading and clicking it looks like. I do wish there was a little more exploration and environment interactivity in between, but there is still a fair amount and I really enjoy the pace of the game. Again, if I had held off on buying this and just watched videos, I never would have understood what exactly was so fun about the game. I would have gotten how it's interesting and unique, but that actual impact of fun wouldn't have translated through a passive viewing experience.

It's really such a unique game that it kind of has to be played to be understood. I'd urge anyone at least slightly interested to try the first couple hours within the refund window on steam, or "demo" it (then of course buy it if you intend to play the whole thing).

That being said, a game like this with well thought-out encounters and tactical combat would be absolutely GOD tier. Hope we get to see that from ZA/UM someday.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I did a fairly (but not COMPLETELY) completionist run, always explored, always tried to do side-tasks if able, and my time played was 20 hours

Did you savescum the checks? Because there is no way you could finish it that quickly otherwise.

I can't figure out how to get to the fishing village and I already sent Kim away with the body. Did I fuck up?

Speaking of the body, I failed the impossible perception check at 97% and I am goddamn livid.

It only becomes possible on the third day, next to the pawn shop.

v1rus

Arcane
Another question, and Im off to finally finish the bloody work, so I can finally play this.

I also have a bad case of munchkinism + OCD, but I think im gonna manage and play this the right way. But, skimming through the thread I heard theres a thought that allows you to increase your perception limit, somewhere near the start of the game. Is that thought easy to miss? Any non-spoilery tips on how to get it asap?

I also decided my build is gonna be 5-4-1-2 or 5-4-2-1 depending on whether Im gonna mark endurance or perception on the start. Which one of those would you recommend? Does marking perception even make sense if i take the before mentioned thought?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Why don't you just play a guy whose life is on the rocks and everything has a chance of going wrong? Why do you care that you get 18 oodles of content as opposed to 19? The less you treat it as a minmaxing game, the more you'll get out of it. Are you playing the game to maximise the sheer quantity of lines on a computer screen you will see, or are you playing to have a cohesive, well-paced experience? I also like minmaxing, but if I wanted to datamine traits, build a spreadsheet and reload 18 times to get the right build, I would play a combat-heavy party RPG with a robust system.

To be fair, how many people do you think want to play as a total looser and just go with whatever happens in their escapist fantasy game? They have reality for that already.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck, I hate those lowlives who don't work, I have barely been able to play a few hours
This.

I barely had an hour to play, but it was fantastic. If the quality of further content is consistent we have a new contemporary classic RPG here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom