Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finished the game, think I got a good ending so that's nice

Wondering about which kind of character to go next

Also have some spoiler-y question:

There was no moment in the game where I got a flashback sequences about Du Bois's woman leaving him, like it showed in the trailer for the game, did anyone get that and how?

What would you say, how long on average is the game?
Long,i am on the third day and played for like 20ish hours.
the game have only been released for around 30 hours and you have played 20 hours. NEET-dom is amazing
:whatho:
What kind of hobo are you????

Also does anyone know if you can get the boots if you send him away?

Prime Junta

I agree in principal, even though I don't feel you could get more mindblowing than PS:T. But PS:T with tactical dialogue-based combat would have been phenomenal.

PS:T is handicapped in one big way compared to DE. D&D gives only minimal mechanical support to what’s best in it. You only have threshold checks for six stats. DE’s Metric system is built specifically for this job.

It’s amazing how well PS:T does, considering — and it really had to twist AD&D almost to the breaking point to get there.

Latro

Arcane
I agree in principal, even though I don't feel you could get more mindblowing than PS:T. But PS:T with tactical dialogue-based combat would have been phenomenal.

PS:T is handicapped in one big way compared to DE. D&D gives only minimal mechanical support to what’s best in it. You only have threshold checks for six stats. DE’s Metric system is built specifically for this job.

It’s amazing how well PS:T does, considering — and it really had to twist AD&D almost to the breaking point to get there.
i'm almost glad you're here instead of the brexit thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why is everyone assuming this has bombed? Underrail recently achieved nearly 2k concurrent players (thousands of Underrail copies sold at $7.49 due to the Sseth review), and from what we heard from Styg, this is apparently a huge success. Disco Elysium has pulled off over 3k concurrent players, each copy sold at $40. How is this anything other than an amazing result for an indie game?

If anything, it seems to be performing much better than we could reasonably expect. It's just that some people had comical expectations that it's gonna be a GTA level blockbuster. They know who they are.

Prime Junta

Writing is terrific, as if they hired an actual writer for this (and a good one!)

More like, an actual writer hired actual artists, musicians, and programmers.

Which is still not quite correct.

The tl;dr version is that a D&D group with an exceptional DM grew up and turned into a bunch of artists, writers, musicians, and misfits, continued playing D&D in between too much drink, drugs, sex, and radical politics, then succeeded a hard Volition check, kicked the booze and the drugs, and decided to turn the D&D campaign into a computer game. So here we are.

Tigranes

Arcane
Dude can't stop posting but remember, he hates it, he isn't affected at all

The thing with ZA/UM is that we might never get another Disco Elysium even if these guys do end up making another game. MCA took a much more conventional path, but he never made another Torment, either.

Prime Junta

Like I'm tempted by magnesium-based lifeform since I go through a lot of it but I don't trust the thoughts enough to really want to keep internalizing them now.

The thought names give pretty good hints of the effects and they don’t cheat. It’s fairly safe to assume that Magnesium helps with Morale in some way.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Writing is terrific, as if they hired an actual writer for this (and a good one!)

More like, an actual writer hired actual artists, musicians, and programmers.

Which is still not quite correct.

The tl;dr version is that a D&D group with an exceptional DM grew up and turned into a bunch of artists, writers, musicians, and misfits, continued playing D&D in between too much drink, drugs, sex, and radical politics, then succeeded a hard Volition check, kicked the booze and the drugs, and decided to turn the D&D campaign into a computer game. So here we are.
is the fortress accident SCL company some kind of self insert then

Prime Junta

Do all of those consequences for maxing out the skills actually come into play in the game? Do you really have significant gameplay detriments for hitting the gameplay cap forsuggestion for example?

Not sure... but I’ve just seen the skills starting to give more and more questionable advice. Yelling I AM GOD!!! at a witness only helps some of the time...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
MCDkl7E.jpg

Deleted Member 16721

PS:T to me at this point is like the Mona Lisa. But would I want a PS:T similar to DE? Absolutely. I think we got some of that with Numenera but I digress.

oscar

Arcane
As something of a sauce addict (six bottles of wine, two litres of spirits and god knows however much else varying 9% Russian beers being a typical weeks output if no other drugs are available) the game captured substance abuse perfectly (to the point I suspect the writer has some first hand experience). Neither glorifying it (you will end up doing some embarrassing shit) nor overly shaming it (but then again so you will completely sober). Love the little nods and hints of your character being able to become a weird mix of every sort of noir archetype from a sleazy drug-addicted Rust Chole in True Detective, a truth hungry Irwin Fletch to some naive Philip Marlowe purist

I've come to the realisation that western games suck because western game devs tend to have little to no interesting life experience. They were annoying dorks in high school who then became politically correct dorks in college and then became meek robotic corporate dorks after and went on to making games without getting in a fist fight, crashing drunk or snorting a few lines between. Hence generally their attempts to write realism or seriousness fall flat.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Wary of putting my cash into this due to the divisive nature of the comments, I pirated the game first. 4 hours in have provided enough enjoyment for me to uninstall and make the purchase on steam; my congratulations to the entire team for an amazing work.
I'm all too glad you proved my suspicions wrong, and here's hoping that all the remaining hours will be as fun!

I've come to the realisation that western games suck because western game devs tend to have little to no interesting life experience. They were annoying dorks in high school who then became politically correct dorks in college and then became meek robotic corporate dorks after and went on to making games without getting in a fist fight, crashing drunk or snorting a few lines between. Hence generally their attempts to write realism or seriousness fall flat.
Truer words have not been spoken brother. I'm often baffled by the disparity between what comes out of California's big gaping cunt and the rest of the world. It's as if they live on an entirely different planet where all of humanity's instinctive values have been subverted, nay perverted, to serve some sort of obscure, semi-existent one-up-man-ship masquerading as moral idealism. These "dorks" have never possessed enough strength to power their wills physically, and neither do they have enough clarity to self-realize and be happy regardless of their circumstances, and so the only avenue open to them is self- and social- destructive passive aggression.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

PS:T to me at this point is like the Mona Lisa. But would I want a PS:T similar to DE? Absolutely. I think we got some of that with Numenera but I digress.
Numenera was like giving a blind autistic person crayons and saying draw something called the Mona Lisa.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Slightly disappointed at the end of Day 1. Went total detox and prioritizing the case. Didn't take bribes. Didn't ask for money, so in the end I had like 25 real, and then, at 2 AM time just stops. Can't sleep outside. Can't crash at Cuno's shack or the boiler room. Had to go along Kim's offer.

So, is it even possible to Hobocop?

Prime Junta

btw

I'm surprised nobody's picked Evrart as an avatar yet. There's something highly Codexian about his face. Or is it just missing from the gallery? If so somebody needs to get on that, stat

RPLke2U.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom