Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm at the end of Day 2 and I don't know how to sleep/get Kim to fuck off so I can talk to the bih on the roof. I have 4 dollars to my name and I can't afford to pay for my hostel room. I wasn't able to sleep in the dumpster or on the bench.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
As something of a sauce addict (six bottles of wine, two litres of spirits and god knows however much else varying 9% Russian beers being a typical weeks output if no other drugs are available) the game captured substance abuse perfectly (to the point I suspect the writer has some first hand experience).

I've come to the realisation that western games suck because western game devs tend to have little to no interesting life experience.

>being a drunkard
>interesting life

:avatard:

Western devs nowadays don't make good games, because they don't know shit about good game design (probably never even played good games) and more importantly aren't interested in making a game in the first place, but some pretensious oscar bait shit to call themselves "un artiste".

Do you think Thief or Deus Ex was good because the guys who made them drawn it from their life experience as criminals/agents. And what about all those Jap salarymen that work for a major Japanese gaming company, they surely must not have boringly ordinary lives to keep making good games for so many years.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
I'm at the end of Day 2 and I don't know how to sleep/get Kim to fuck off so I can talk to the bih on the roof. I have 4 dollars to my name and I can't afford to pay for my hostel room. I wasn't able to sleep in the dumpster or on the bench.

Same situation, except I have 16 real.

frajaq

Erudite
- Content for low INT builds is incredibly half-assed. My 1 INT cop somehow understands Latin, French and the voice in my head speaks like an academic. :roll: So much for endless roleplay possibilities, lol. Similar to PST and Numanuma, talky builds are the way to go and everything else is pointless filler.

- Likewise, health/morale mechanic is just bad. I'm sure it was added because they realized game is too easy. But dying in wacky ways was only amusing in the tutorial area, after that it really gets old quickly. So you either keep your h/m topped up to remove any resemblance of difficulty or you enjoy such nonsense as your character kills himself because he couldn't push random door open and it made him sad. :?

I agree with both these points tbh

I went with a 1/2/5/4 build, a very physical, very dim, not very good with people character, and I was surprised by how well I managed to solved most cases even with a significant low amount of Intellect skills

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
(Sorry about getting a bit carried away there. Truth is though that your continuous needling IHaveHugeNick is tiresome, and I wish you'd stop. Whatever else you might think at this point you could have the good grace to admit that it's not just me by my little self shilling for an oddball East European commie game. It would be cool if you accepted at least that much.)

What on earth, bro. I gave the game an honest shot and wrote a positive-neutral review that praised much more things than it criticized. If that's something that pushes you on the brink of emotional meltdown, you should probably step aside and remember that it's just a game.

And worry not, it's not my style to stick around and shit on games I no longer play just to mess with people who are having fun.

Terenty

Liturgist
I will reserve judgment till i finish the game of course, but if 1 INT character can solve the case as easily as a 6 INT(without savescumming) it will be quite disappointing.

Reports of finishing the game in 15 hours with good ending, whatever it means, are certainly waorrysome.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I (NPC #61873) came up with this opinion all by myself:

It is not an RPG. It is an adventure/IF. With stats and checks.

Even PS:T sometimes feels like an adventure/IF. And DE goes even further. It doesn't have combat. It's too railroady (even in comparison with PS:T). It totally lacks this I-wanna-gain-more-exp-to-advance-to-the-next-level feeling.

From the fact that DE is is not an RPG it doesn't follow that DE is a bad game.

I've enjoyed it to some extent. Unexpectedly I like its writing. Sometimes it's too pretentious and purple-prosy IMO, but quite often it's also funny. Those who were worried that it's going to be Rick-and-Morty kind of funny are not that wrong. Still, funny is funny.

Alas, funny >< fun. I find this game slightly boring. While I've played it to the end, its gameplay never truly held my interest. The story and the setting were the things that motivated me to play DE, not the gameplay.

Also. It's not a political game. I don't think DE is even trying to be a political game. But if it does try, it fails completely. The political polemics here are built around either cliches or memes. I mean it's cool that you can "internalize" communism or race theory in this game, but all this political stuff doesn't even get to the level of smart satire, it's just the pure po-mo mockery. Personally I rather count it as the game's virtue.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I found a spelling error:

6n2pIes.png

It's spelled "commutard".

Edit:
Unironically, an opportunity was missed in this game, not referring to it as gommunism.

vota DC

Augur
When I start a new game they seem to take in account the equipped thought of older character in the character creation screen, very strange bug.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Re finding a place to sleep:

ZAUM_Dani [developer] 7 hours ago

First, there is no other place to sleep in Martinaise Proper than the Whirling. You can not sleep on the bench or in Cuno’s shack. You might find a place later, on the coast, but not on day 1 or 2. For now, paying for a night in the Whirling is the only way.
Here are some ways to earn money.
1. Go to Roy in the Pawn Shop and sell him some of your quest items.
2. Keep exploring and looking into containers. They often include money.
3. Joyce (on the pier) can give you money. You need to pass a Volition white check for this.
4. There is a locked container in the harbour that needs a Rhetoric check. I won’t spoil it further but there’s a chance to get money involved.
5. If it’s before 23.00, you can equip the yellow tare bag, collect tare and sell it in Fritte.
6. If it’s before 22.00, you can also pass a check with Siileng and ask for money.
7. If it’s 02.00 and everyone has gone to sleep, the streets are empty and you can’t do any -- or enough, at least, to pay Garte -- then congratulations: you are the hobocop now
The only way to get out of this jam is to load a save from earlier. At minimum before 02.00 -- when you can still sell Roy some of your stuff. And if you’re really straped for cash -- before 23.00 when Fritte is still open.
In general, around 19.00 – 22.00 is a good time to start worrying about making rent.

Basically I don't know why Hobocop is a thing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

I went with a 1/2/5/4 build, a very physical, very dim, not very good with people character, and I was surprised by how well I managed to solved most cases even with a significant low amount of Intellect skills

I will reserve judgment till i finish the game of course, but if 1 INT character can solve the case as easily as a 6 INT(without savescumming) it will be quite disappointing.

I went 1/1/6/4 and only tagged physical skills when leveling, hoping that I will be a loose-cannon dumbass cop who kicks down doors and beats confessions out of people. Instead it feels like playing a guy who has a medical condition which makes his IQ randomly bounce from 0 to 150.

It's really undercooked and just doesn't feel right.

Glupaca

Augur
Does someone know if the song looping in the cafeteria of your hotel is based off some actual obscure indie song? It constantly sounds vaguely familiar and slightly nostalgic.

That’s probably what they were going for with the music choice, though.

Glupaca

Augur
I went 1/1/6/4 and only tagged physical skills when leveling, hoping that I will be a loose-cannon dumbass cop who kicks down doors and beats confessions out of people. Instead it feels like playing a guy who has a medical condition which makes his IQ randomly bounce from 0 to 150.

I only somewhat agree with the low INT build critiques. I’m playing a high PSY/PHYS character (1/5/4/2 if I remember correctly), but I don’t find it so flawed. I kind of interpreted it more as my character being completely burnt out and encephalopathic with moments of clarity that aren’t unexpected in someone in a deranged state.

However, I don’t know how this looks when combined with a non-PSY build. I feel like Inland Empire makes the lack of conversation skills or encyclopedic knowledge feel like it makes sense - as if the character isn’t properly in touch with reality and that causes him to be disconnected, but not outright stupid or dumb in terms of being low IQ.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
this game is funny and good and i forgive its stupid titles including the current iteration

Terenty

Liturgist

So all those descriptions of skills are basically bullshit?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh wow we're on page 37. I thought we were somewhere around 21...
When is the uncensored version of the game coming?
I've heard of a lively community of hard-core cRPG aficionados out there. Some of 'em might enjoy modding.
Some of the voice acting is also censored if I remember right.. how do you propose to mod that?
I also heard of a dev studio that has original voice files and can give them to modders..

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So all those descriptions of skills are basically bullshit?

Skills are situational. It wouldn't be humanly possible to script everything. So going on massive extremes can lead into situations like that.

And the thing is, if you fail the checks in the background, you won't even know that you failed.

Does someone know if the song looping in the cafeteria of your hotel is based off some actual obscure indie song? It constantly sounds vaguely familiar and slightly nostalgic.

That’s probably what they were going for with the music choice, though.

You mean this?

Isn't that British Sea Power?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
So my options were to reroll and lose 11 hours of progress, or to edit my save file and give myself enough money to cover the hostel room. I did the latter. Not sure why you guys designed it like this. At the very least, having the Hobocop thought should allow me to sleep on the streets at the cost of not getting a health/morale refill.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sigh... Nick, when was the last time you were touched by a woman? Seriously dude... let off some steam.
It has been some time since Feargus touched him. Last time it was when he told him that he is disowning him
and asked him to return him his favorite strawberry flavored dick sex toy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom