Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What exactly captures the feeling of Fallout in Underrail?
It has basically no C&C and has great combat which sucked in FO. It has no companions who were important in FO, it has no open-ended quest solving options like FO...
What does it capture exactly from Fallout? I never get the comparison.

The specific flavor of atmosphere and exploration. This is what made fallout to me, not the particular mechanics, and it is exactly what other games continue to fail to capture.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The thing is, if it's that hard to find, up to a point where only a tiny percentage of players will find it on their own, why develop more content for it? Waste of development time.

Either make it easier to find or don't waste time on a thing 95% of players will miss. Seems like common sense to me.

Shitty attitude.

Finding something like this gives you that cool feeling of discovery only obscure shit like that can give you.

Like Arcanum's Iron Clan quest, which would even give you a special ending if you find it with Loghaire and Magnus in your party (and getting Loghaire in your party is hard and easily missable by itself)

This kind of obscure content is what makes an RPG great.

It may be wasteful to just add ONE thing that is extremely hard to find but when the world is filled with hard to find things, it becomes part of gameplay and increases the chances of rewarding experience.

Jezal_k23

The thing is, if it's that hard to find, up to a point where only a tiny percentage of players will find it on their own, why develop more content for it? Waste of development time.

Either make it easier to find or don't waste time on a thing 95% of players will miss. Seems like common sense to me.

Shitty attitude.

Finding something like this gives you that cool feeling of discovery only obscure shit like that can give you.

Like Arcanum's Iron Clan quest, which would even give you a special ending if you find it with Loghaire and Magnus in your party (and getting Loghaire in your party is hard and easily missable by itself)

I agree. I'm just keeping in mind the realities of game development. Most of the time spending months developing content for a whopping 2.5% of the player base is not a good decision. If they feel like this is not a waste of time, especially now with the recent burst of sales, more power to them.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Shitty attitude.

I agree. I'm just keeping in mind the realities of game development. Most of the time spending months developing content for a whopping 2.5% of the player base is not a good decision. If they feel like this is not a waste of time, especially now with the recent burst of sales, more power to them.
no. a game should reward clever, dedicated players and this is the best way to do it. trough meaningful content isntead of shitty achievement or whatever it is

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Shitty attitude.

I mean, only 20-60% of players ever get to the ending, which you can see from Steam achievements - the percentage of people who actually get the "Finished the Game" achievement is pretty low for most games. So why bother even creating a proper ending, right?

The reality is that by including obscure content that rewards dedicated players, your dedicated fanbase will love you even more, while the average player will drop the game before the end anyway.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I do think some things (Free Drones and Oculus) should be more accessible though.

I have to disagree with this sentiment. Part of the awesomeness was finally realizing I had done the quests correctly to get access to oculus.

Free drones as well. It's an either-or scenario situation. Either the free drones or the protectorate. Can't be friends with both.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Free drones as well. It's an either-or scenario situation. Either the free drones or the protectorate. Can't be friends with both.
Specifically with the Free Drones, it was annoying that I could never sign up with them after persuading them to let the hijacked supplies go onto Rail Crossing. At that point the only other thing I'd done in regards to Protectorate was the first Oculus quest where you bug their compound, report on their security, and free a prisoner. It was a bit surprising that persuading the Free Drones to let the shipment go locks you out, particularly since the logic you use is that Rail Crossing should be defended against Ironheads, you don't say anything pro-Protectorate.

Maybe neither quest for accessing Free Drones and Oculus should be changed, but it would be nice if there was another opportunity to get in.

ciox

Liturgist
I'd like to see the "Recycle" option on the crafting screen have 10-12 boxes, so I can load up all the rathound armors I find at one time and only press the "Create" button once.
Be nice if there was a hotkey for Create first.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Specifically with the Free Drones, it was annoying that I could never sign up with them after persuading them to let the hijacked supplies go onto Rail Crossing. At that point the only other thing I'd done in regards to Protectorate was the first Oculus quest where you bug their compound, report on their security, and free a prisoner. It was a bit surprising that persuading the Free Drones to let the shipment go locks you out, particularly since the logic you use is that Rail Crossing should be defended against Ironheads, you don't say anything pro-Protectorate.

Maybe neither quest for accessing Free Drones and Oculus should be changed, but it would be nice if there was another opportunity to get in.

Regarding the free drones, yeah at first that sounds right. But then once you join up with them, you realize that everything said about them regarding their methods and terrorism is pretty much BS and that the people there are mostly victims of Protectorate reprisals and violence. In my mind, it then makes sense that if you even take a stance against them politely they don't want you. Gotta remember, look at Vera from SGS. She's just itching to join SGS with the protectorate and the United Stations. She's not a jackbooted thug, but a politician. And a nice one at that. Most likely, they recognize that the most dangerous pro-protectorate ideologues are the silver tongued ones who come with an outstretched hand, not a mailed fist.

Either way, if you do enough of the protectorate quests, you may also come to realize that the Protectorate is just as bad in some ways as BioCorp was in its heyday, concerning some of their more vicious methods in dealing with armed combatants. Hell, if it really is who I think it is running the Protectorate, then there is no difference. It's just Old Biocorp under a different name.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
But then once you join up with them, you realize that everything said about them regarding their methods and terrorism is pretty much BS and that the people there are mostly victims of Protectorate reprisals and violence.
Yeah, and when Drones hijacked train they also was victims of "reprisals and violence"...
Gotta remember, look at Vera from SGS. She's just itching to join SGS with the protectorate and the United Stations. She's not a jackbooted thug, but a politician. And a nice one at that. Most likely, they recognize that the most dangerous pro-protectorate ideologues are the silver tongued ones who come with an outstretched hand, not a mailed fist.
Yeah, apparently guys who want to talk are more dangerous than weaponized monkeys, mostly because Free Drones employ last category to shoot first category. Not to mention that all "talk" can persuade some members to stop being retarded fanatics for once...
Either way, if you do enough of the protectorate quests, you may also come to realize that the Protectorate is just as bad in some ways as BioCorp was in its heyday, concerning some of their more vicious methods in dealing with armed combatants. Hell, if it really is who I think it is running the Protectorate, then there is no difference. It's just Old Biocorp under a different name.
If I remember correctly Old Biocorp was monarchy, so Protectorate a bit different.

It's not that odd. The game is obviously built around replays, so if you do accidentally lock yourself out of joining the Drones then you can just join Protectorate instead. On your next character you can join Drones and see what they're like. Just like how you can join a different corporation in Core City and see what they're like instead of whoever you joined the first time you played.
It makes sense from a fluff perspective too. The Drones already have a problem with spies, so they're not going to allow anyone in unless they can be sure they're reliable. If you convince the guards to abandon the train and then tell Protectorate where it is so they can recover it then they obviously can't be sure about you. Maybe you did it just because you wanted to help Rail Crossing, but maybe you didn't.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
But then once you join up with them, you realize that everything said about them regarding their methods and terrorism is pretty much BS and that the people there are mostly victims of Protectorate reprisals and violence.
Yeah, and when Drones hijacked train they also was victims of "reprisals and violence"...
Gotta remember, look at Vera from SGS. She's just itching to join SGS with the protectorate and the United Stations. She's not a jackbooted thug, but a politician. And a nice one at that. Most likely, they recognize that the most dangerous pro-protectorate ideologues are the silver tongued ones who come with an outstretched hand, not a mailed fist.
Yeah, apparently guys who want to talk are more dangerous than weaponized monkeys, mostly because Free Drones employ last category to shoot first category. Not to mention that all "talk" can persuade some members to stop being retarded fanatics for once...
If I remember correctly Old Biocorp was monarchy, so Protectorate a bit different.

Protectorate scum! Biocorp was not a monarchy either. It was controlled by the Apex Technocrats, a board of directors-like organization of the highest ranking and most powerful scientists, many of whom were psionic as well.

My belief is that General Melek is in fact Vovin, Kirill Gavrilyuk, one of the last remaining Apex Technocrats from the days of Original Biocorp. Perhaps unlike his compatriot Wight, Vovin does not have the patience for a proper experiment to play itself out and wants to reunify Underrail. Perhaps instead this is Vovin's own experiment. Who can say. But I believe that Vovin is General Melek.

Edit: Additionally, we know of two Old Biocorp personnel that are still alive and kicking, both of whom were quite high ranking: Anton Matveev and John Dyson. Both are powerful psionics, Anton being among the most powerful to come out of BioCorp at the time. Why is it so impossible that Kirill is not behind the scenes running things?

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Was about to enter JSC and lo and behold I get a call saying the camp is under attack. I'm so glad I spent all that effort activating the Naga Protector so that Aegis Security could accidentally hit it with a grenade, turn it against us, and then cause the Aegis sectroopers to only target the Protector! Then it died after a few hits from the natives!

I think I'm fucking done with Expedition.

ciox

Liturgist
I finally dealt with
Balor
It's a shame that I have absolutely no use for his weapon.
Wonder how many metal scraps you get from recycling it. I think that depends on durability, except Balor's hammer is indestructible looks like? Maybe it gives one billion metal scraps and you'll never run out of repair kits ever again.

ciox

Liturgist
Was about to enter JSC and lo and behold I get a call saying the camp is under attack. I'm so glad I spent all that effort activating the Naga Protector so that Aegis Security could accidentally hit it with a grenade, turn it against us, and then cause the Aegis sectroopers to only target the Protector! Then it died after a few hits from the natives!

I think I'm fucking done with Expedition.

Possibly the only instance where someone other than the player gets punished for friendly fire, and it still leads to the player losing out.

Old One

Arcane
I'm so glad I spent all that effort activating the Naga Protector so that Aegis Security could accidentally hit it with a grenade, turn it against us, and then cause the Aegis sectroopers to only target the Protector!

For future reference, you also want to avoid using Electrokinesis near the Protector. Even though it's friendly the lightning will jump to it and turn it hostile.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
In JSC...

WTF? I just cleared out what I presume to be the first level (sneaked past the cameras in the first area, killed all the spiders and Strongmen in the second area, deactivated the cameras via the console in the office, and picked up all the loot in the area with the two Naga Protectors. Now when I reenter the office all the Strongmen and Handmaidens immediately wake up. Did I do something wrong or is this some scripted shit? Infuriating.

ciox

Liturgist
In JSC...

WTF? I just cleared out what I presume to be the first level (sneaked past the cameras in the first area, killed all the spiders and Strongmen in the second area, deactivated the cameras via the console in the office, and picked up all the loot in the area with the two Naga Protectors. Now when I reenter the office all the Strongmen and Handmaidens immediately wake up. Did I do something wrong or is this some scripted shit? Infuriating.
It happened every time for me too, yes it's pretty annoying.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
In JSC...

It happened every time for me too, yes it's pretty annoying.
It's especially annoying because I restarted this entire level as the first time I did it I aggro'd the bots in the first area and then by the time I got back to this area, I thought it would be impossible to pass it with the bots all awake. But I guess that doesn't matter since they're scripted to wake up regardless.

Edit:
It seems that lifting the lockdown from that console in the office is what activates the robots, though the robots don't actually wake up until you exit and then reenter the first area. I suppose it says something about this in the dialogue on the console, so you're supposed to have a high enough hacking to disable the turrets and cameras, then you can pass the turrets and go into the next area which has a broken jetski and leads to the water.

Last edited:

apostrophe

Novice
I read on a couple of different places that you level much faster on Dominating when playing classic EXP, that you can have level 12 before even starting Depot A.
I barely have Lvl 9 before depot, and even if I clean the entire depot I can't reach level 12. And i do everything except i skip a lot of burrowers and robots.
Is my game bugged, are they full of shit or something else? I dont think i level faster at all compared to Hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom