Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
My body is ready to receive the news that this is a third-person action game alla Witcher. The satisfaction knowing I was right is going to keep me warm while Larian attempt to destroy RPGs for the mainstream forever.
Only RPG coming out next year that matters is Pathfinder Kingmaker 2 so they cannot ruin anything.
Next year? That's a bit optimistic. You gotta wait 3 month after release for patches too. So in fact that's way to optimistic.
Only RPG coming out next year that matters is Pathfinder Kingmaker 2 so they cannot ruin anything.
Is that actually WIP?
That's open secret. The only thing we don't know is - what module and when.

Elex

Arbiter
Yes, but not by that name as their next game will use same engine but adapt some other official Paizo module. And since they are just using same engine that they already refined and worked on to release Enhanced Edition now they just need to build areas, quests and stuff like that so it will take them less time than what they needed for PKM.
i just hope they don't use pf2 ruleset!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
i just hope they don't use pf2 ruleset!

Paizo is not draconican like WotC. If i remember correctly(not sure), Paizo allowed then to use wathever edition that they wanna. And considering the cost to re implement everything, i an expecting PF1e on PF:KM2. Solasta looks like will launch in 2021(not sure), and BG3 will really launch next year?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is the action game meme pure tinfoil speculation or is there some actual evidence that a company that has a fully functional turn based rpg engine that is wildly successful with top tier combat would suddenly make something else ?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
D:OS games were never created to be mainstream, however they ended up really decent games in age of decline so they became main stream

If there are no journalists writing negative reviews complaining because "mimimi i can't kill a swarm with an axe" or "i need to understand the game rules to play on hardest difficulties", the game is mainstream.

A IGN journalist complained because he needed to use elemental protection to fight enemies with elemental damage on Path of Exile. And note that PoE is one of the most played steam games...

IF the game is accessible to game journalists, he is very mainstream.

Delterius

Arcane
PF:K isn't mainstream. D:OS2, all things considered, kinda is.
D:OS games were never created to be mainstream, however they ended up really decent games in age of decline so they became main stream
sven referred to D:OS1 as a game you can play with your girlfriend, therefore it was aimed towards the mainstream audience of girlfriend havers

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some of the best games in recent years had Early Access, like RimWorld for example.
The important part is to actually have a plan to get OUT OF EA

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Isn't Rimworld that bad UI, bad graphic, simplistitc game (assuming you do vanilla without mods), that typically devolves into killing random strangers making fridge, and selling organs from dead strangers to random merchants?
It was so long before release, people were starting to make mods to add content out of desperation.

Or perhaps we should say something about Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor, which was also listed as early access game.

Divinity OS II was a game I tried to hack to increase non combat skill points to avoid uber specialization and to make stuff properly enjoyable. Considering combat was done more to make stuff difficult for player, than realistic. Watching 30 monsters that are waiting in front of sewers for characters to emerge, for 100 years rise question, why did they wasted theirs time? And lets not list all these exploding barrels near enemies. They are suicidal, that's fine, at least the combat was over sooner.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
sven referred to D:OS1 as a game you can play with your girlfriend, therefore it was aimed towards the mainstream audience of girlfriend havers

As if you need to be lonely to enjoy good RPG's... But as i've said, if game journalists can play a RPG, is because the RPG lacks depth

user

Savant
When Larian says "DnD rules don't fit a video game" and "you miss too often" and other asinine BULLSHIT like that (which P:K has already disproved), we shouldn't get our hopes up...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's not as noticeable in RTwP.

Look to ToEE. Turn Based. In my first time, i did a no reroll, no reload run(except in death/imminent death), had a Sorcerer with 7 DEX who got diseased and he was without spell,. He managed to miss 27 times in a row and i see no problem(trying to rest 8 hours and got const ambushes). In fact, makes sense that he would miss that often.

PnP rules makes sense. If the enemy is a death knight in plate armor buffed by illusion spells and you have regular human stats, is extremely unlikely that you will deal any damage on him. It makes perfectly sense. And note that he criticized spell slots and leveling too. Hell, casts / rest is something that exists even on Dark Souls and pasm. Pokemon. A children's portable game. Your Charizard can use 5 Fire Blasts / rest. I don't see how it is not intuitive, if even children can play.

When Larian says "DnD rules don't fit a video game" and "you miss too often" and other asinine BULLSHIT like that (which P:K has already disproved), we shouldn't get our hopes up...

Not only PF:KM. You miss a lot on video game adaptations since pool of radiance(1988) to PF:KM(2018) and note that Pathfinder is much more complex than D&D 5e. They are probably aiming to "game journalists"

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's not as noticeable in RTwP.
Exactly. Missing feels bad when it wastes your turn. Which leads me to believe this will be TB.
incline.png

I'd rather get TB and grazes instead of misses, than RTwCrap with misses. By a fucking huge margin.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Exactly. Missing feels bad when it wastes your turn. Which leads me to believe this will be TB.
incline.png

I'd rather get TB and grazes instead of misses, than RTwCrap with misses. By a fucking huge margin.

Greazes was one of the worst rules of PoE1. As for RtWP VS Turn Based, i don't care. There are good turn based adaptations and good real time adaptations, but ZERO "lets ignore the rules" good adaptations.

edit : Did you played Solasta demo?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
incline.png

TB (and even RTwP to a lesser extent) with no probabilities at all leads to stale, one-tactic-to-rule-them-all scenarios where battles play out like a mathematical formula than something more engaging. I'm perfectly aware it's all math either way, but the human mind doesn't work that way and it adds a bit of an arrhythmic cadence to the combat.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
TB (and even RTwP to a lesser extent) with no probabilities
If to hit chance is not removed, but rather the probability of a miss is replaced with the probability of a graze, then there are still probabilities.

Second, your argument is rather weak because things don't become boring if your guys have a high to hit chance in a game, unless combat is terribly designed in the first place. Variety of enemies and contexts leads to a variety of tactics being useful. There may also be many viable tactics for one given encounter.

Codex Year of the Donut
incline.png

TB (and even RTwP to a lesser extent) with no probabilities at all leads to stale, one-tactic-to-rule-them-all scenarios where battles play out like a mathematical formula than something more engaging. I'm perfectly aware it's all math either way, but the human mind doesn't work that way and it adds a bit of an arrhythmic cadence to the combat.
Have you ever heard of this game called Chess?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom