Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Vatnik Wumao
Do you lads prefer to distribute early skill points evenly among a large number of skills or do you invest in the same 1-2 ones at successive level ups?

Kim is
actually a girl. If you raise the affection points enough, this is revealed. Remember all the little hints about changing name etc.?
:shredder:
That's even more shocking than my end point for the night. I disbelieve you. I DISBELIEVE YOU.

hdX0gQF.jpg

Prime Junta

Do you lads prefer to distribute early skill points evenly among a large number of skills or do you invest in the same 1-2 ones at successive level ups?

I systematically built up Per to a tolerable level. After that I’ve been going with the flow. There are a few skills I want to focus on, so I wait for interesting white checks on them to come up, then spend them to get the retries and build the skills. Occasionally I spend one pre-emptively on a red check.

It genuinely angers me how amateurishly it railroads you into not finding out the sniper's hideout by yourself. Not only the place for checking the boardwalk hideout is fucked (seriously, you can't check the top of it, but an underground bunker, as vital to the later scene it is, is the last place anyone would think a sniper shot could've come from), but you can't even go check the last potential place for the shot to be made from. It wouldn't be that bad if there was a decent explanation as to why you can't, but Joyce has a yacht RIGHT THERE that she uses to cross that little straight. The hard trigger for the tribunal being finding Ruby and not the passage of time is also a big "Why?" for me. Klaasje figuring out the shot came from the island and explicitly marking the way for you is an ultimate kick in the nuts.

Honestly, I didn't like this either - would have been fine if they explained why you can't

go to the island early, at least - having the option to ask Joyce and the Net-Picker and getting a "fuck off" would have been enough. And yeah, the boardwalk/bunker thing doesn't really make sense.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
This game is amazingly well-written, yet the disappointment keeps swelling in me. I bought into the advertising and the shill brigade promises hook, line and sinker, while the actual game doesn't really resemble them. It's small, real small, a focused thing, not even approaching the 60 hours figure thrown around by the developers or the amount of different locations PS:T had (also their words). I wouldn't have expected more if they'd gone and said: "Yes, this is going to be focused in one small district", but they didn't. What it's also not is a good detective game.

It genuinely angers me how amateurishly it railroads you into not finding out the sniper's hideout by yourself. Not only the place for checking the boardwalk hideout is fucked (seriously, you can't check the top of it, but an underground bunker, as vital to the later scene it is, is the last place anyone would think a sniper shot could've come from), but you can't even go check the last potential place for the shot to be made from. It wouldn't be that bad if there was a decent explanation as to why you can't, but Joyce has a yacht RIGHT THERE that she uses to cross that little straight. The hard trigger for the tribunal being finding Ruby and not the passage of time is also a big "Why?" for me. Klaasje figuring out the shot came from the island and explicitly marking the way for you is an ultimate kick in the nuts.

Which is not to say I didn't like the game. Phys+Psyche playthrough with a lot of Shivers and Inland Empire is very interesting to say the least, and makes the final confrontation better, but I can't help but wonder how much better the main quest could've been if it wasn't like this.
Even a fanboy characterized it as a "visual novel" (as opposed to a comic book).

Man, I really wanted to like this game, but then I realized - shit! - that it actually belongs to arbitrary linguistic category x instead of arbitrary category y. Oh, god, the horror.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is amazingly well-written, yet the disappointment keeps swelling in me. I bought into the advertising and the shill brigade promises hook, line and sinker, while the actual game doesn't really resemble them. It's small, real small, a focused thing, not even approaching the 60 hours figure thrown around by the developers or the amount of different locations PS:T had (also their words). I wouldn't have expected more if they'd gone and said: "Yes, this is going to be focused in one small district", but they didn't. What it's also not is a good detective game.

Show Spoiler It genuinely angers me how amateurishly it railroads you into not finding out the sniper's hideout by yourself. Not only the place for checking the boardwalk hideout is fucked (seriously, you can't check the top of it, but an underground bunker, as vital to the later scene it is, is the last place anyone would think a sniper shot could've come from), but you can't even go check the last potential place for the shot to be made from. It wouldn't be that bad if there was a decent explanation as to why you can't, but Joyce has a yacht RIGHT THERE that she uses to cross that little straight. The hard trigger for the tribunal being finding Ruby and not the passage of time is also a big "Why?" for me. Klaasje figuring out the shot came from the island and explicitly marking the way for you is an ultimate kick in the nuts.

Which is not to say I didn't like the game. Phys+Psyche playthrough with a lot of Shivers and Inland Empire is very interesting to say the least, and makes the final confrontation better, but I can't help but wonder how much better the main quest could've been if it wasn't like this.
Valid point.
I was going to comment on this as well, but the fact is that the game would be pretty anticlimatic if they let you just sail over. They should had some dialogue checks where you ask Joyce but she says no (further drawing suspicion to herself and the Mercs), and they could have made it so that the fisher lady's boat was still getting tarred and wouldn't be ready for a few days. It didn't really bum me out too much, but I can get why this might be a MAJOR turn off for some people. TBH, if I was watching a movie and the same thing happened, I would probably immediately get turned off and call the whole thing shit. It's different with a game though. The placement for checking the sniper shot was weird though I agree. You can go to the top of the bunker, but for some reaosn they put the check at the matress down below. Go figure.
Kim is
actually a girl. If you raise the affection points enough, this is revealed. Remember all the little hints about changing name etc.?
Say sike. There's no fucking way...

Remember how he reacts when you tell him that your decision-making has been compromised by the pussay? Not affected by young girls, eh?

True.
Love.
Ending.
At least tell me it was a girl this whole time and we just couldn't tell. Was it trans the whole time?!?!
:prosper:

EDIT: Lithium Flower With the ninja.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Due to main resolution mechanic being a 2d6 roll, you're getting more bang for your buck spreading the points around a bit. Every now and then I raise one of the three skills I want my character to be good at, but I usually bump whatever's most useful at the moment/ what's needed to get a white reroll.

Stompa

Arcane
I was going to comment on this as well, but the fact is that the game would be pretty anticlimatic if they let you just sail over.

Except then the climax would've shifted from arresting the killer to the confrontation with mercs, which would've been fine all things considered. As it stands, once you break out of the game's hypnotic flow and think for a minute, the whole second act feels like a scam.

bminorkey

has anyone managed to

get a different outcome at the mercenary tribunal with hardies crew not dying?

is it even possible? :D

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
has anyone managed to

Very curious about the above as well.
I'm gonna replay the game with very high Motorics, and I'm gonna metagame some of my actions (namely reaction speed and hand eye coordination) to see whether or not it'll effect anything. If you can dodge all the bullets and shoot them dead, it should be fine, right? At the end it's implied that you can avoid all the death.

has anyone managed to

I'm gonna replay the game with very high Motorics, and I'm gonna metagame some of my actions (namely reaction speed and hand eye coordination) to see whether or not it'll effect anything. If you can dodge all the bullets and shoot them dead, it should be fine, right? At the end it's implied that you can avoid all the death.

The second Reaction Speed check is impossible to succeed (when the "scab leader" shoots you in retaliation, that is.) However, I do know of two factors that might influence things:
1. You can apparently set the "scab leader" on fire by turning the medicinal spirit into a fucking molotov cocktail.
2. You can apparently shrug off the shot if you have the net-picker's sword (which you get from going on a date with her) equipped during the shootout

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
has anyone managed to

The second Reaction Speed check is impossible to succeed (when the "scab leader" shoots you in retaliation, that is.) However, I do know of two factors that might influence things:
1. You can apparently set the "scab leader" on fire by turning the medicinal spirit into a fucking molotov cocktail.
2. You can apparently shrug off the shot if you have the net-picker's sword (which you get from going on a date with her) equipped during the shootout
I had the net-picker's sword equipepd during the shootout, but I wasn't able to shrug it off. Perhaps I missed something. Let me retry it real quick, I think I have a save that goes back to right before.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Lithium Flower
Tried the check again, still nothing. I even got an Inland Emire warning this time where it mentioned the Saber, but nothing happened. Also, I take back the bit I said regarding the armor. I passed the first dodge check luckily even with my low Motorics. If you have the armor and pass a pain threshold check, the first shot doesn't affect you. I didn't have the gun though, so perhaps that affected it? Don't know about the cocktail thing. I'll give it a shot this second run.

Harry ascended to a higher plane of existence with shivers and copious amounts of speed. This whole sequence was amazing and makes me wish it let me reroll my Harry mid-game for a life-changing moment. Fuck that was good. FUCK.

When discussing Moralintern's symbol with Kitsuragi your skills start telling you what they see when they look at the symbol. For instance, Inland Empire says 'Something ominous'.

What does Shivers say?

Harry ascended to a higher plane of existence with shivers and copious amounts of speed. This whole sequence was amazing and makes me wish it let me reroll my Harry mid-game for a life-changing moment. Fuck that was good. FUCK.

When discussing Moralintern's symbol with Kitsuragi your skills start telling you what they see when they look at the symbol. For instance, Inland Empire says 'Something ominous'.

What does Shivers say?
I haven't seen/heard of Moralintern's symbol, or if I have I've forgotten it. What day does that show up? I'm still in day 3 with Harry "Erich Zann" Du Bois.

Hellion

Arcane
Regarding the Hardie boys, at my "best" playthrough so far
only 3 of them die during the shoot-out, and the leader who survived seems pretty glad about that outcome when you come round 2 days later.
But I'll definitely keep in mind to check and see if you can do better than that.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Regarding the Hardie boys, at my "best" playthrough so far
only 3 of them die during the shoot-out, and the leader who survived seems pretty glad about that outcome when you come round 2 days later.
But I'll definitely keep in mind to check and see if you can do better than that.
I guess to do better than that you would need to avoid the 3% shot. It's mathematically possible, or game lies.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I guess to do better than that you would need to avoid the 3% shot. It's mathematically possible, or game lies.
Should spoiler this tbh. Regardless, would be nice to get developer confirmation. Would be a damn shame if the game is lying Kasparov

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom