Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - Final Fantasy Tactics-like RPG

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is no longer in Early Access. The full release is out, if that's what you mean.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
It is no longer in Early Access. The full release is out, if that's what you mean.
I guess I'm asking is there a conclusion to the story where you presumably visit, all the shrines and probably go back to the capital, because when I played you did the fights in the desert and the story was done

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I guess I'm asking is there a conclusion to the story where you presumably visit, all the shrines and probably go back to the capital, because when I played you did the fights in the desert and the story was done
Yes, there are proper save-the-world endings now.

New Recruits: When a class is unlocked, the player will always be able to switch to it, even if the requirements are not met. The main effect from this is when recruiting a unit in an advanced class (like Gambler for example), the unit will be able to switch back and forth to that class even if they don't meet the requirements.
Goddamnit, right after I finished the game. I had to grind some classes back ffs.

It was still fun tho.

Thanks. Sounds maybe worth checking out sometime. Least it sounds better than the other FFT-clone that just got released, the Druidstone one.
Meh. Druidstone is not an FFT clone. It's more of a puzzle game. Worth checking out imo but not the greatest thing either.

Man i'm having a weird time with this one. On the one hand, i really enjoy leveling up and mixing and matching the classes, and the fighting is decent, but on the other the game fails so hard at making me interested in what's going on. It's not that it doesn't try either, there is tons of world-building and character exposition going on, but it's just so forgettable. The biggest issue is the main caste. I just don't care about Kyrie, Reiner or Anadine. They are boring people with boring personalities. I don't like the protagonist at all, not because she is a woman, but because she is this particular woman. I am not able to relate to her at all and when the main character of the game is un-relatable, that just takes a lot of the mood out of it. Same goes for the rest. Reiner is NOT funny, no matter how many times the game states otherwise, and Anadine is just... empty. She has no personality. Some of the support cast are just 'okay' in comparison, but that's not saying much. Also, I do not like the art style at all, neither the main style used in the scenery (it looks cheap by intention which is just mindblowing) and I specially don't like the portraits. Some people here seem to like them, but i find them ugly and dumb looking most of the time, specially when the characters are portraying some sort of emotion. I'm about 7 hours into the game and like i said, i had a good bit of fun playing around with the classes, but i think i'll stop playing soon. It's just not enough. I'd rather go play Fire Emblem Awakening. I hear that game is pretty solid.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I'm actually surprised at the length this game is, almost 2 times the content from early access when I played it, most current rpgs don't put in half the work

One complaint is the fact that story characters can't use badge classes, the marked and demon knight are just shitty reavers only one of whom can get cleave

Guild characters are more powerful than your hero who's supposed to save the world and have special powers

Aside from that it's fantastic, and I wish it had Multi-player like xcom

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I'm actually surprised at the length this game is, almost 2 times the content from early access when I played it, most current rpgs don't put in half the work

How long did you need, to finish the game? Are there different endings or just one?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

How long did you need, to finish the game? Are there different endings or just one?
I have 130 in probably left it on overnight once or twice, haven't beaten the game yet, if you want to collect almost everything I would assume 100 hours

If you've played final fantasy tactics you know the depth of class combinations possible, yet there are more in this game, and they seem to synergize better

I don't think I'll find every treasure on every map

So 130 hours so far counting for the fact when I played the early access which was half the game

I can pretty confidently say on one playthrough if you like to grind out classes and get the treasures then you can get 100+ hours out of one playthrough

If you just want to breeze through, which isn't easy by any stretch without good classes maybe 50 hours

Absinthe

Arcane
Tried out the demo (Demo links: Game Jolt / itch.io / Indiexpo). My quick take on it is:
  • The writing is banalshitboring. It doesn't have an agenda. It's just completely dull and uninteresting, to the point I actually found myself zoning out during the opening video introducing me to the world, on my first run.
  • The gameplay on the other hand seems to be alright. AI is okay, build potential is interesting, and even randomly generated enemies will on occasion spawn with more devastating build combinations.
  • Level scaling (even with limited level ranges), however, is an abomination. I think you can mod it out, but then you'll probably set all the monsters in a whole arc to a specific level.
  • The fade effect screen transitions are a fucking retarded idea. They look ugly and waste my time when I'm trying to do shit.
  • The art is slightly shitty. And random characters don't generate with the costumes that better match their portraits.
It seems like they made use of the Early Access to refine the combat system and overall gameplay, but not the writing. The few slightly interesting variations here are the consumable system: Consumables have limited uses but restock every battle (and are upgraded through Crafting) and the fact that you can equip Accessories in every item slot if you want. That's about it. Looking over the wiki, the story classes (ie. your protagonists) actually seem to have less build potential than your hirelings, because they can't access the badge classes. Spymaster being a minor exception because he can just copy a badge class's active abilities with his last active ability. So far, Spymaster and Demon Knight are probably the better story classes. There's also the character who does not get human classes at all and can instead get monster classes. Kyrie (the main protagonist) doesn't seem to have a very good class from what I can tell. Spymaster can probably be abused just by giving him a bunch of permanent buffs from equipment and Focus or Boon and letting him share his buffs with allies.

Once you cheese the combat hard enough though I guess that's about it. All that's left is to experiment some more with different builds.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Devlog #1 - Missions System
Hello everyone!

We've been quite busy hammering the designs down for Missions and Monsters, and we've finally reached a point where we feel we have enough details to start our devlog on the creation process.

With each devlog, we'll be focusing on one of the new systems that Missions and Monsterswill be adding to Fell Seal. This week, that's missions! But first, a quick refresher on the general scope of the DLC.

General Concept

Missions and Monsters isn't meant as a continuation of Fell Seal's story, but rather to extend and add to the core systems of the game, as well as add new challenges and content.

As such, the plan is to add a missions system, a guild upgrade system, recruitable monsters, a monster-taming system, monster classes, new encounters, new classes and new crafting recipes. We're also adding large encounters that will feature a lot more combatants on each side, for putting to work more of those units you've been collecting.

Missions

The new missions system is wide-reaching and meant to achieve several goals.
It will give more things to do for "benched units", with some missions giving special rewards, opening new content and being a viable method to procure many crafting components. Missions can also serve as an alternative means of earning EXP and AP for benched units, although in that case they tend to yield less impressive loot. Most missions will be repeatable, but some will be unique and award something quite special.

It'll be up to the player to decide which style of missions they want to focus on, as they can only run a limited amount of missions at once.

Missions (and guild upgrades, which we'll cover in a later devlog) are accessed through the Guild menu:
fe8dcff709a8de9542a4a2a51aec2aee867793d9.jpg

A new resource called Company Points (CP) will be added next to the current GP bar. Currently, CPs are only used to purchase Guild Upgrades, but we're considering adding a cost in CP to run Missions as well.

Once you've selected Missions from the Guild, you need to select the Region in which you want to start a mission. There are 5 Regions in the game and they open up as you unlock new nodes on the world map.
64e4c8f66b7fc98fe59cf6a7ea23984b1f8e54b5.jpg

In this screenshot, only the "Centina Hinterlands" region is available and it's still missing 3 nodes to be fully unlocked. All missions have a location node where they take place, and thus won't be available until the given node has been explored by the player on the world map.

After selecting the region, the player can start a mission in that region.
fc64212976381b49e05ff2a0ba2b29aa2897d8f3.jpg

Missions that aren't known yet (because they are locked behind a map node, or because they require a previous mission to be completed, for example) are shown as ??? in the list.

Missions can be in various states: new, in-progress, completed-and-done, completed-and-redoable. They have a different icon depending on their current state. In the example list, they are all "new" or unknown.

Here you can see the rewards of the mission as well as the required participants and how long they last (more info on that later!).

Selecting a valid mission will bring the player to a selection screen to decide which units to send on the mission. Only the units participating in the mission will earn the various rewards, such as AP, EXP, etc.
f45c6ff9f8e00675c63a94098bd02439a2eeb290.jpg

Story-characters can't be sent on missions and only recruits without an injury can be sent. When a unit is sent on a mission, they won't be available to be deployed in a regular battle map.

Each mission has a minimum and a maximum of participants and the first participant chosen becomes the leader of the mission. Once enough units are selected, the mission can be started.

Once the mission is started, it'll show as "in-progress" in the missions list.
7d9646a06b77b61779dc9a9ba37ffb48e80c8f16.jpg

In-progress missions have their own icon and are always sorted at the end of the list for a quick visual identification. Selecting a mission already in progress will allow the player to cancel it if they want to. Cancelling the mission will free up the units that were running it, but no rewards shall be given for the mission.

Currently, the maximum amount of missions that can be run at once is 3, although there is a way to increase that amount via the Guild Upgrades system.

When a mission is in progress, it will take some amount of time to complete, usually 30 mins, although that's something we're still tinkering with. After 30 mins of "real life time" has passed, the mission will be completed and display a result for the endeavor anywhere on the world map.

Mission success is not guaranteed, although the success rate will be tuned to be pretty high in general. There are multiple ways to increase that, including Guild Upgrades and carefully selecting the leader of the mission. The class of the leader will grant them a bonus success rate based on the mission. The description of the mission itself will have clues hinting at which type of class would do well on it. This bonus is only applied to the leader of the mission, to reduce the amount of micro-managing of classes that the player has to do for missions, while still providing some incentive for "thinking about it" rather than just clicking through things. Missions can also have a critical success result, in which case bonus rewards will be granted to the player.

The overall goal of the missions and guild upgrade systems is to create another layer of interesting actions the player can take "outside of combat", with a wide array of goals possible, such as farming AP, EXP, GP or CP, as well as focusing on crafting materials, special rewards or unlocking new content.

It'll be tied to the Guild Upgrade system, which we should cover in our next devlog.

Feel free to send us comments, ideas, feedback and suggestions about the design or the devlog itself!

Thanks everyone!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.fellseal.com/single-post/2019/12/06/DLC-Devlog-2---Guild-Upgrades
DLC Devlog #2 - Guild Upgrades
December 6, 2019

|

Pierre Leclerc

Hello everyone!

In this week's devlog, we'll detail another system tied to the missions: the Guild Upgrades system.

Upgrades

As mentioned in the previous devlog, the world is divided into 5 different regions. Upgrades can be built into any of these 5 regions and will confer a variety of bonuses, primarily to that region.

After selecting the Upgrades section in the Guild, the player can decide in which region they want to build upgrades for. Selecting a region will show it on the world map, show which battle maps are tied to it and which upgrades are currently built on there.

d50ec1_8401c11d195d43d287c77259b67380e7%7Emv2.jpg

Afterwards, the player can build upgrades for the region, or reset current upgrades for the region.

d50ec1_79cb593f31ba49349fd920007632dc65%7Emv2.jpg

Resetting the upgrades will refund a portion of their cost and clear all upgrades from the area, so the player can change their layout if they feel like it. On that screen, the player can see the layout for the selected region and the currently built upgrades if there are any. Each region has its own layout for adding buildings. This example has a 3x4 area to add buildings. Other regions will have different areas, such as a 3x3 or perhaps a 2x3 and a 1x3, etc.

Selecting to build a new upgrade will show the list of all possible upgrades the player could create as well as their cost in CP (Company Points). There will be a core of buildings that will be the same for all regions, but some regions will have unique buildings that confer special bonuses or bonuses that pertain to the specific zone better (things tied to poisonous maps for example).

d50ec1_03cbe4e831e5443ba83cdfff1ed162c4%7Emv2.jpg

You can see the bonus for the selected upgrade in its description. These bonuses are divided into 3 general categories:

- Mission Bonuses: these bonuses apply to Mission that are in the same zone as the Upgrade.

- Patrol Bonuses: these bonuses apply to Patrols that are in maps that are part of the same zone as the Upgrade.

- Global Bonuses: these bonuses apply all the time to all zones. Those are considerably rarer.

On top of this base bonus that a building confers, there's a concept of synergy, where a building can bolster another building if they happen to be touching on the building grid. For example, the Cantina will confer a bonus to the Gardens, the Bounty Board and the Watchtower if they are built side by side. Thus, the grid available in a region (3x3 vs 2x3 for example) will impact what kind of bonuses you could get in that region. And, of course, the player's choices in placing the buildings will also have an impact on that front.

Here's what it looks like when selecting the Gardens, which receives a bonus from the Cantina. It shows what the bonus would be on that building if it was next to a Cantina, in this case "receive 2x as many components from Gathering".

d50ec1_542092b931af47899e43e17fa2e66896%7Emv2.jpg

Finally, when selecting a specific upgrade, you will be able to place it where you want in the building grid, assuming you have the CP and the grid position isn't already occupied by another building. As you select a position, the "border bonuses" that will be active will light up to show which would be active from placing the building there and greyed out if they wouldn't currently confer a bonus.

d50ec1_c14b4e6b55e64e949f99d11ac3a78439%7Emv2.jpg

The current building icons were taken from some of our maps and aren't final, but they should showcase the visual style the buildings are going for.

Upgrades Bonuses

Currently, there are 24 different building upgrades and each will have its own unique building sprite. Each has their own bonus and many will have synergy bonuses as well. Here are some examples of the bonuses the upgrades will grant:

Missions:

- Missions take 20% less time to complete.

- Missions award 20% more CP.

- Missions award 2x as many components as normal.

- One extra unit can be sent on each mission.

- Missions award 20% more AP

Patrols:

- While patrolling the region, increase the chance of meeting stray Kawa Bandits 5%

- While patrolling the region, increase the chance of meeting stray Zotzits 5%

- While patrolling the region, increase damage dealt by player units by 5%.

- While patrolling the region, all deployed units will start with Renew.

Global:

- Store prices in any store are 5% cheaper when buying.

- Guild prices in any guild are 5% cheaper for all services costing GP.

- Can run 1 more mission at the same time.

When combined with the Missions, the Guild Upgrades system should give the player a lot to do outside of battles and help them open up new challenges, areas and rewards.

Feel free to send us comments, ideas, feedback and suggestions!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/699170/announcements/detail/3586491361625765144
Missions and Monsters DLC - Hunts
Hello everyone!

Missions and Monsters is a collection of new systems, updates and additions to the game, resulting in a richer and more engaging gameplay experience. One of these new additions is the special Hunts.

Hunts:

The Hunts tie together the new missions system and the new monsters variants system (a quick refresher on this can be found right here). For most hunts, you'll unlock them by undertaking a special mission, or a "mission chain", which is multiple missions that must be completed in order and culminate into a difficult and rewarding special mission. These missions will become available from around the mid-game, right up to the final fight in the game.
After the mission is completed, it'll open a new "Hunt event", which will show a special icon on the world map, much in the same way as character events .
990083cf5c7c45c74a7525571356a274e0fb8629.png

The player can then visit that node and trigger the Hunt event, which will feature a custom battle against a very powerful hand-crafted named monster unit, boasting a complex monster variants setup. Achieving victory in a Hunt should be a challenging endeavor and will award the player unique rewards. Each Hunt can only be completed once.

New Maps:

On top of the new systems, new classes and new abilities, we'll be adding new maps as well. Notably, both Port Grendel and Fenfjord will get a town map, replete with special encounters and patrols. But we'll be adding many other extra maps as well (you can expect many Hunts to take place on these new maps we'll be adding!)

Here's a sneak peek at two of them:
f7157e5b49d49664369c9912b1b4a0d520e4ebcb.gif

d5d7d54522be60ff6c30c6aa5b4ec8dc9f28aaee.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How many ff-tactics like games came out in the last year? I got pulled in Dark Crystal Resistance... its ok.

I'm glad there's still interest in making them.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This is the only one that hooked me for a bit. I believe it's got to do with the great menuing, and being available on Mac. I'm curious about Tower of Time.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Been playing this for the last couple of days, got it really cheap in a promo(around $4.40 if you convert it).

So far I'm liking it a lot. Dunno if it's the comfy factor of playing it in bed with a controller, but I'm getting the same vibes I got ten years ago, playing FFT and Tactics Ogre on PSP.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/699170/announcements/detail/2238794150181815790
Missions and Monsters DLC - The Wrangler
Hello everyone,

Today, we're going over the last of the new human classes that will be introduced in Missions and Monsters: the Wrangler class.

As we've mentioned before, the Wrangler class will be pivotal to the growth of your Beastmaster units, because of its Tame ability that lets you recruit monsters during battle. But, the Wrangler class is a lot more than just a supporting actor to your Beastmasters and brings many powerful abilities of its own.

The Wrangler focuses heavily on interacting with monsters in general, be they allies or enemies, so it tends to lend itself better to a supporting role. Without any monsters on the field on either side, the Wrangler is probably not going to outshine most other classes. But with monsters around... it's a different story. And with monsters stronger than ever in Missions and Monsters, you'll quickly find yourself welcoming the Wrangler's expertise!

Abilities:

Let's go over their abilities, passives, and counter:

Counter:
Might: Counters any offensive action taken on the character by using Atk and Mnd up. This gives the Wrangler an easy means to pack a bigger punch if they'd rather be more hands-on than supportive.

Passives:
Skirmish: The character will be able to move 1 extra tile at the end of their turn. So if the unit moves before it attacks, it will get a second movement phase of 1 tile after its attack, and if it moves after it attacks, it will get to move 1 extra tile. This gives the Wrangler extra mobility and versatility, and even allows for extra back-attacks by melee units.

Owner's Pride: Whenever an allied monster unit falls in battle or defeats an enemy, the Wrangler gets a stacking 10% bonus to their speed stat (up to 40%), allowing them to snowball their advantage or come back from a tough situation more easily.

Actives:
Tag Team: The Wrangler can select an ally monster unit in range and "swap them out" for a benched monster unit. The new unit will get all the buffs, debuffs, current HP/MP and turn completion transferred to them. This grants the Wrangler immense versatility as they can change the party composition itself as the battle progresses.
80999c57ed7c6db5e8cc4adde6147f2a63a07dc1.gif

Tame: This lets the Wrangler recruit enemy monsters. The chance is based on the enemy's current HP (the lower, the better) and won't work on bosses and special enemies. But there are otherwise no restrictions.

Attack!: The Wrangler orders all allied monsters on the map to attack the first target in range directly in front of them. With careful planning and placement, this ability has the potential to be devastating.
519983f8f7b4bb09127ec1fc6fb0208b7f8ef91f.gif

Frenzy!: This gives Atk Up to all allied monsters, but removes Mnd Up from all of them.
Calm...: This gives Mnd Up to all allied monsters, but removes Atk Up from all of them. A quick way to bolster all of your allied monster friends.

Heel!: This allows the Wrangler to select an enemy or allied monster within 5 tiles and teleport them to a tile adjacent to the Wrangler. This gives the Wrangler great control over the placement of all monsters on the field and can be used both offensively and defensively to great effect.

Beast Whisperer: Allows the Wrangler to use Mind Control on an enemy monster (Mind Control is a superior form of Charm where the target will get an immediate turn, controlled by the Wrangler, on top of being left with the Charm status afterwards). This ability is melee range, so it's a little riskier than other Wrangler abilities, but very potent.

Quicken Monster: A version of Quicken that targets only Monsters. It costs less MP as a trade-off.

Hunt: An attack that deals high damage to monster units, but poor damage to humans and bzils. Counts as a regular attack.

And that's it for all of the Wrangler's abilities! Their kit is unique and a little more subtle to use than most other classes, but if the field has many monsters and you're clever about placement, their potential is immense, both defensively and offensively.

Stay safe everyone! And thanks for your continued support.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hate the character design, pretty much a huge deal-breaker. it's that huge-head and thin body korean style that looks like cellphone garbage.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't mind them visually, they're kinda meh but servicable. They really are boring as hell though. Everyone is a one note character, and they're not even interesting notes. Kind of a shame fans of FFT couldn't find a writer to do the homage justice.

Combat is pretty great though, actually a decent challenge on the harder settings, and even truly cheesy shit can get countered by the wrong set of enemies. This is also pretty much the only game I've played where I actually bothered to use the 'bench' characters; both because of the wounding system (which is fantastc) and also because it made it easy and effective- you can swap equipment and even classes at the start of a battle after seeing your enemies but before deploying your team. So if you see the map has 2 dudes that will counter your buffing strategy, you can bench that support mage and swap in someone else.

spekkio

Arcane
I don't mind my characters in japtactical game being badly written. What matters is OFC combat boobs.

Anyway, I plan to play this one at some point.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the little hidden treasures and even sidequests and mini puzzles are satisfying to hunt down. Easily the best implementation of that sort of thing in the genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom