Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where will you be purchasing The Outer Worlds?

Where will you be purchasing The Outer Worlds?

• Total voters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, on Epic because the Windows store is even more shit. Epic is pretty unobtrusive, you usually don't even need the client running to play.

Danikas

Arcane
Bonnet.gif

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Infinitron announcement trailer for TOW had 10 million views. Those are AAA blockbuster of the year numbers. E3 trailer has 1m which is still good, but then social media engagement literally drops dead and most of the subsequent materials rarely break 50k. TOW subreddit is mostly dead as well.

I doubt this will flop, but after Epic store drama hype really went limpdick. And there was a point when TOW seemed destined to be the next multi billion franchise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron announcement trailer for TOW had 10 million views. Those are AAA blockbuster of the year numbers. E3 trailer has 1m which is still good, but then social media engagement literally drops dead and most of the subsequent materials rarely break 50k. TOW subreddit is mostly dead as well.

I doubt this will flop, but after Epic store drama hype really went limpdick. And there was a point when TOW seemed destined to be the next multi billion franchise.

I hear that, but when I look at a game that you can pick up and play for $1/$5/$10, I wonder how it could possibly not rack up great numbers. If Fallout: New Vegas is still a cult game, people will give it a shot.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Considering the vast majority of players will get this on console, are Youtube view counts really that much affected by the Epic controversy? There has to be other contributing factors.

A console player wouldn't care about an issue that doesn't affect them.

Tigranes

Arcane
I doubt 98% of potential sales are impacted by people who protest the decision to Epic exclusivity.

It might lose sales of all the casuals who vaguely heard about the game but they don't see it on Steam and then forget about it, maybe.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I hope it flops of its own accord, not because of Epic.

Look at the trailer. It's got jumpy fun edgy music, like something COOL is gonna happen any time now. They show a shot of a robot mowing grass and you think "oh boy, something is gonna happen NOW!!!" and nothing, it cuts to another shot. The other shot got something else going on and you think "oh boy, this guy is gonna GET IT NOW!!!" and nothing happens, cut to another shot. Then repeat 80 times and that's the trailer (with one exception, they blow up the barrels once, wowza!). With a slightly-ironic narration fit for 8 year olds.

Shit, if they didn't even have anything to show in the trailer, this shit is doomed.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I'll probably buy it for $9.99 during the 2021 Steam Summer/Christmas Sale. It looks like uninspired mediocrity right now so it might be a full skip. I'll guess we will know in a week.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Epic hurt no doubt, but I’m not too worried. Also the one shooting themselves in the foot with that decision is Private Division. For the franchise itself the only thing that really matters are Gamepass downloads. And I do think this will be popular for that. Ain’t nobody who has GamePass gonna care about Epic on the decision of trying it out.

Codex Year of the Donut
I doubt 98% of potential sales are impacted by people who protest the decision to Epic exclusivity.

It might lose sales of all the casuals who vaguely heard about the game but they don't see it on Steam and then forget about it, maybe.
In the span of ~3 months(announcement -> epic announcement,) the subreddit for Outer Worlds gained 16.5k subscribers.
In the ~7 months since(epic announcement -> today), it gained 8k subscribers.

The epic announcement badly hurt its popularity, it's not even deniable.

Tigranes

Arcane
Correlation not causation. We need more data to eliminate alternative hypotheses, otherwise it's not particularly logical.

I think Epic exclusivity is dumb and not good for consumers, and I personally dislike Game Pass, so it's not like I like what they're doing. I just strongly doubt that the average consumer cares enough. It's like thinking that the current free speech protests will hurt Blizzard's bottom line.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't think Epic backlash will have a direct impact on sales. Internet consumer boycotts had never worked yet, most people simply don't give a shit.

But sales are definitely driven by hype, and the hype has died out. Infinitron does have a point though, good reviews and ability to get the game on the cheap through game pass can revive the interest in the game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GOG, though i bought pc gamepass for $5 some time ago out of curiosity (which i've barely used) when they had a sale and i bought a new GPU last week that had a gamepass voucher which i haven't activated yet, so i'll most likely play the game from there. I doubt i wont like the game at all since i like both first person shooters and first person RPGs and i'm easy to please. But how much i like it will dictate how much i'll wait for a sale after the GOG release (well that, and my finances at the time :-P).

hexer

Trailer views dropped from 1M to 50k?
Holy crap! Someone in the management should get fired

Is there a way to buy Outer Worlds and Red Dead Redemption 2 in the same place? Neither will be on Steam.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I hope it flops of its own accord, not because of Epic.

Look at the trailer. It's got jumpy fun zoomer music, like something COOL is gonna happen any time now. They show a shot of a robot mowing grass and you think "oh boy, something is gonna happen NOW!!!" and nothing, it cuts to another shot. The other shot got something else going on and you think "oh boy, this guy is gonna GET IT NOW!!!" and nothing happens, cut to another shot. Then repeat 80 times and that's the trailer (with one exception, they blow up the barrels once, wowza!). With a slightly-ironic narration fit for 8 year olds.

Shit, if they didn't even have anything to show in the trailer, this shit is doomed.
Whole thing looks made for retarded teens. Or worse, for women. Top it off with the Pixar-wannabe visuals and you've got something nobody in their right mind should touch.

Lurker47

Savant
The better question is when. I don't think it looks very good (bad FPS combat is a slog) but I could be proven wrong.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'll probably watch a "let's play" on jewtubes, then maybe it'll be "avast ye swabs" and if I really like it then, I'll wait until all of the bugs are ironed out and pick up in a Steam sale next year.

Tyrion8338

Novice
I'll probably get this game on PC Microsoft game pass but only if the game gets descent reviews. Game pass is reasonably priced and if I will want to do second playthrough in a year or two the game will be probably discounted and in game of the year edition.

I might consider getting it on gog too if the price is right and the game is long enough to warrant paying full price.

I don't understand why people are so addicted to steam. Steam will be less popular in the future because of huge 30% cut they take from devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom