Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with most intelligent puzzles

What do you guys think?

My favorite is Ultima Underworld.

Falksi

Arcane
Zelda 4: A Link To The Past. A great array of puzzles in there which require some creative thinking. Not particularly hard, just nicely balanced & thought out.

What about all these old adventure games I keep hearing about but haven't played yet? Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, Quest for Glory, etc. Are puzzles in those good?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The CRPG with the best puzzles is definitely Dark Heart of Uukrul. In terms of being logical and the satisfaction gained from figuring them out it just might be up there with best puzzles, period. Realistically, though, you're looking at an adventure game, but I dunno which one in particular. It's not any of the Schafer Lucasarts ones, I can tell you that much, although they're still worth playing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What about all these old adventure games I keep hearing about but haven't played yet? Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, Quest for Glory, etc. Are puzzles in those good?

If you're not into adventure games then they're likely not for you. On their own, no, the puzzles are not good or intelligent most of the time. It's more about the context in which they're put and if they're amusing (for the funny games).
Grim Fandango should be played by everybody, though.

Regardless of that I seem to remember liking the puzzles in Aura: Fate Of Ages, which is a rather obscure (I think?) Myst-like.

Edit: Oh yeah, one of the Deponia games has a very unique and clever "audio" puzzle.

Last edited:

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
1st: The Talos Principle, it uses SS3 engine and has a really immersive soundtrack. :obviously:
2nd: Obduction, in the vein of Myst and has a cool story too. :incline:
3rd: the first Myst game, I never beat it but I was quite young at the time, and lacked discipline and patience. :cool:

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
PS:T's "What can change the nature of a man" puzzle is the best.

Because it makes you think there is a correct answer when in truth there isn't.

mind_blown.gif

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The mutagen puzzle in Underrail had me making up an excel spreadsheet to figure that shit out. Not many games have got me that salty before. Also genius move to make it random so the answer is just sitting there on google.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chaosdwarft is correct that The Talos Principle is excellent. You will feel smart.

The Witness
is even better; I keep trying to get people to play it and you are one of them. Don't pay $40 for it, but play it.
The downside to The Witness is that it was made by a guy who has a personality that some people don't like, unlike all other games which were all made by complete saints.

In both cases, no spoilers, no walkthroughs, no youtube, no let's plays. Just fucking get them and play them.

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

Zelda Oracle of Ages had some nice puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom