Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
Didn't see this before. Someone who played the demo back in July/August wrote down his observations

https://www.farflame.cz/clanek25.htm#eng

Outer Worlds - details about gameplay and quests in english:
Gameplay details
- 3 types of ammo; light, heavy, and energy
- At least 3 different guns confirmed - a sniper rifle with a long-range scope, a laser Gatling gun, and a hefty pistol.
- By pressing RB you can instantly use your emergency Medicinal Inhaler, if you have items for it. This won’t instantly heal a chunk of health, but restores your health over a few seconds.
- Each time you level up you gain another point that you can put into perks.
- On the equipment screen, press down the left stick to compare weapons to your current one.
- Companions have their own inventory, and you can trade items between them and yourself, basically making them easy storage.
- You can command companions to use their abilities by hitting left or right on the D-Pad. These abilities will automatically be used on the nearest enemy.
- You can switch weapons quickly by tapping Y, or hold down Y to bring up a weapon wheel.
- You can fast travel to any town or major location you’ve previously visited.
- Tactical Time Dilation, on the LB button, lets you slow down time significantly and aim. It’s kind of like VATS but with manual aiming. Recharges very quickly, especially if you invest in perks for it.
- You can steal practically anything in town, but be careful not to get caught.
- You can use the Charm stat to convince characters to trust you, in one case my Charm convinced the leader of Fallbrook, Catherine Malin, to give me a quest.
- Certain enemies will have obvious weak spots, like Mantisaur Soldiers have a glowing green node on their stomach.
- You get experience any time you use something like Charm, Lie, or Persuade in conversation.
- Like in the Fallout games, sometimes when you kill enemies they’ll explode into bloody messes with body parts flying off.
- In addition to shops, there are vending machines that you can use to buy new items, armor, ammo, and more.
- Many melee weapons have different effects on them, for example, I bought a Plasma Cutter in Fallbrook that can cause fire damage to enemies when you hit them.
- You can melee with ranged weapons, but it does almost no damage compared to using a melee weapon.
- Weapons and combat have really good sound design, making each one feel weighty, even for laser weapons.
- You can use Workbenches to apply mods to your weapons or Tinker with them, which will increase their damage output at the cost of bits.
- At the Workbench I applied a mod to my pistol that made it shoot acid rounds, which would slowly drain an enemy’s health when the rounds hit them.
- You can get experience for discovering new things, like discovering a vending machine netted me 300 XP.
- Lockpicking is done automatically, there’s no mini-game involved, but you’ll still need sufficient lockpicking skill. - Some areas will have environmental hazards, like one area I ran through that had giant pools of bubbling acid that would damage any friend or foe that wandered into them.

World and Quests
- Monarch is just one planet you visit in the game. Terraforming went wrong there so it’s filled with strange rock formations and geology.
- Monarch appears to have four major towns; Cascadia - Fallbrook, Amber Heights, and Stellar Bay.
- The two cities I visited, Fallbrook and Stellar Bay, both had a rustic feel to them. They were definitely sci-fi, but still managed to have that kind of retro 50s feel as well.
- Loading screens have a wealth of in-game lore, from pictures of the anatomy of alien creatures to posters for fictional in-universe movies.
- There are plenty of terminals to look at, providing little clues and context for locations and characters, similarly to the Fallout games.
- Companions will often comment on locations/objects, like talking about Fallbrook’s reputation when you enter the city - Companions will interject in conversation if they know a character.
- You can talk to your companions at any time, and sometimes this will open up a new quest specifically for them. For example, at one point I talked to Nyoka and received a quest where I had to track down the grave of an old ally of hers, to dig up a precious item. The quest let me learn a bit more about Nyoka, but ultimately I wasn’t able to finish it as the next step required me to go to a different planet, something I didn’t have time for.
- There are multiple ways to approach quests; for example with the Slaughterhouse Clive quest I could just barge in guns blazing to kill Clive in his Clive’s Boarst factory, I could sneak in using the sewers, or I could talk to a shop owner and get a fake employee ID. Using my fake employee ID I could go right into the factory, however, when inside there was a kind of “awareness” meter that would constantly drain. When the meter is completely drained enemies became suspicious of me. If it fails, you will probably end up in a massive shootout with the factory’s guards and robots.
- Another option for the quest was to simply sabotage the Boarst factory, and one way I did the was by feeding their cystypigs 4000% extra.
- Killing Clive lowered my reputation with the C&P Boarst Factory faction and made them “Off-Put.” However, it did allow me to complete the quest and raise my reputation with Fallbrook.
- After killing Slaughterhouse Clive I was able to bribe Catherine Malin, the leader of Fallbrook, and buy access to a VIP suite for 2480 Bits. This gave me a location I could dump items into for storage, rest at, and based on the conversation, presumably murder people there without anyone batting an eye.

The Outer Worlds launches on Octover 25th.

Efe

Erudite
he has yet to impress. there is a reason nobody ever mentioned him as a golden boy / stretch reward in history of obsidian

Duraframe300

Arcane
he has yet to impress. there is a reason nobody ever mentioned him as a golden boy / stretch reward in history of obsidian

?

Leonard impressed enough in his career. Also the reason being that he was hired for Outer Worlds and before that had a cozy Blizzard job.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Idk So far nothing in the writting feels lackluster or bad. And i really liked little pieces like Felix introduction or the guy that think mechanical going to dominate the planet, especialy because the dumb options sold me that the player character was actually believing the guy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The Heavy armors in the game look P.Good. Also i got FNV gives from this shot.
Ahhh no,the fallout armour looks practical while the armour on the right looks like some over designed fantasy garbage lol.

Eh, NCR armor needs to lose the jacket to look practical.
Ahhh no,it is called camouflage! Do you expect him to shine like a star in all that brown-red desert??? The armour is made mainly from metal,thus a reflective surface!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh no,the fallout armour looks practical while the armour on the right looks like some over designed fantasy garbage lol.

Not everything needs to look pratical. It's video-game and sometimes it's just fine to go with the rule of the cool and make non-sense armors that looks good. But this is just imo..

I just really like non-sense armors like Berserker Armor from Berserk , that look cool rather than pratical.
Depends on the setting,if it is realistic it needs realistic armour.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Heh, Avellone's May of Rage thread is quite awkward in hindsight. None of his various wild accusations about embezzlement of funds, poor business practices and bad treatment of workers got taken seriously by the media who usually jump on those kinds of revelations. Then MS acquisition happens and you can bet Microsoft is thoroughly vetting the books and company culture before they decide to buy a company.

it looks as if dude was just immensely butthurt Feargus will get his dream big payout and hoped he will sabotage the MS deal by shitposting on the Codex or something. Lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Heh, Avellone's May of Rage thread is quite awkward in hindsight. None of his various wild accusations about embezzlement of funds, poor business practices and bad treatment of workers got taken seriously by the media who usually jump on those kinds of revelations. Then MS acquisition happens and you can bet Microsoft is thoroughly vetting the books and company culture before they decide to buy a company.

it looks as if dude was just immensely butthurt Feargus will get his dream big payout and hoped he will sabotage the MS deal by shitposting on the Codex or something. Lol.
I see that you are trying for that owner tag now that obsidian have bags of MS money :).

Oh the butthurt was obvious,still most of his accusations were valid. Also corporations care about possible revenue generation and/or reputation generation,they don't really care if the former owner snagged a few millions from his company. After all most all those high up corporate types do from time to time. If F gets too annoying,they could just kick him out on the spot :). Only think that i didn't take him serious was the bad treatment,it was very subjective thing. The rest of the accusations were pretty obvious tho, F managed to burn trough obsidian reputation and capable people very fast. Tho he is pretty good survivalist,he managed to save the company a few times.....even if he was the reason for many of those potential bankruptcies.

Quillon

Arcane
The Heavy armors in the game look P.Good. Also i got FNV gives from this shot.

Eh, NCR armor needs to lose the jacket to look practical.
Ahhh no,it is called camouflage! Do you expect him to shine like a star in all that brown-red desert??? The armour is made mainly from metal,thus a reflective surface!

Isn't it called duster? Therefore practical in the desert? :P

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Nobody asked for your opinion, Feargus Junior.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
None of his various wild accusations about embezzlement of funds, poor business practices and bad treatment of workers got taken seriously by the media who usually jump on those kinds of revelations. Then MS acquisition happens and you can bet Microsoft is thoroughly vetting the books and company culture before they decide to buy a company.
How does MS acquiring the company disprove what MCA said? They'll be the ones funding and managing the company from now on, so they'll control the books. If funds were embezzled they might know and changed how it'll be handled from now on. But one thing's for sure, they won't broadcast it publicly.

No one goes "Hey everyone we just acquired this company and found out they were embezzling funds. Since we at Microsoft are known for our integrity, we cleaned up their act. No need to look into it further, promise. Hope you buy their next games!"

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Nobody asked for your opinion, Feargus Junior.

Dad, I told you I got this, get off the Codex.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
How does MS acquiring the company disprove what MCA said? They'll be the ones funding and managing the company from now on, so they'll control the books."

Obsidian isn't directly run by Microsoft, they became a subsidiary. Feargus still holds the keys to the kingdom and runs his own books, it's just that he isn't a shareholder anymore and has to answer to people up top.

Quillon

Arcane
Thread was too busy discussing Taco Bell commercials to notice Ellie's VA is different.

I don't think the VA changed since she came to pax west and said she voiced the demo with felix' VA and then got hired but yeah she sounds different now.

Quillon

Arcane
EHNHDzWWsAASFT2

:shredder:

:P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom