Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I wonder when Obsidian realizes that we now live in a post-Disco Elysium world. It's not just enough to have the "main" playing styles, with some side-quest not even featuring all of those. If i want to, I should be able to get drunk with the monsters and convince them to throw themselves into a hundred foot valley as a dare. There should be RP at every moment.

This post is so fucking gay that in comparison it makes Outer Worlds look like a high-T game. I will now play Outer Worlds just to spite Disco Elysium cuckmoids.

Codex Year of the Donut
Heh, Avellone's May of Rage thread is quite awkward in hindsight. None of his various wild accusations about embezzlement of funds, poor business practices and bad treatment of workers got taken seriously by the media who usually jump on those kinds of revelations. Then MS acquisition happens and you can bet Microsoft is thoroughly vetting the books and company culture before they decide to buy a company.

it looks as if dude was just immensely butthurt Feargus will get his dream big payout and hoped he will sabotage the MS deal by shitposting on the Codex or something. Lol.
Some people on the codex are MCA fanboys. Some are Sawyer fanboys.
But I think I'm the only Feargus fanboy.

Quillon

Arcane
But I think I'm the only Feargus fanboy.

Feargus Urquhart, captain, leader, legend.

:slamdunk:

o captain my captain
rating_salute.gif

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's not the best choice, its Spacer's choice. Is it supposed to be funny or smth?

Yes and no. Since corporate culture has taken over people have more or less become talking billboards as per their contract. As predictable thats already full of cracks though with the moonman presented in the trailer being an example of someone that just rolls down the lines given to him with no emotion.

He actually cracks once (at least as far as we’ve seen in the gameplay footage) when you ask him how it feels under that helmet.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's not the best choice, its Spacer's choice. Is it supposed to be funny or smth?
It expresses the culture. People don't make choices based on quality, they choose a brand, a side. Moreover, the side they take is the selling point, rather than the product itself.

Very much like SJWs. Everything is identity. Defend a cause blindly because it shows what side you identify with.

I hope the game manages to exploit those themes, but I have little faith.

Terenty

Liturgist

Yes and no. Since corporate culture has taken over people have more or less become talking billboards as per their contract. As predictable thats already full of cracks though with the moonman presented in the trailer being an example of someone that just rolls down the lines given to him with no emotion.

He actually cracks once (at least as far as we’ve seen in the gameplay footage) when you ask him how it feels under that helmet.

Its actually an interesting idea to turn people into walking ads etc., but with the setting so goofy and characters being silly all the time it just doesn't register. Its like yeah, whatever, he is a character in this goofy world saying goofy things. They should have gone with more moderate Fallout or Arcanum approach to worldbuilding

Duraframe300

Arcane

Its actually an interesting idea to turn people into walking ads etc., but with the setting so goofy and characters being silly all the time it just doesn't register. Its like yeah, whatever, he is a character in this goofy world saying goofy things. They should have gone with more moderate Fallout or Arcanum approach to worldbuilding

Eh, don’t get that impression myself. Its far from Borderlands from the recent footage. Your mileage may vary on that though.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This is one of the cringiest dialogues I've seen in a long time:

How in the world is that the cringiest dialog you have seen? There's not even a lol random joke in there other than the moment where she pretends to launch you out of the ship. Otherwise its about a defenseless AI accepting you by assigning you the identity of her captain/owner. Which is a pretty decent concept imo.

Any line in Greedfall is way worse.

Unless you are just that good in avoiding shit in which case

:thumbsup:

Morkar Left

Duraframe300
The whole dialogue with the ai feels pretty dumb, pretentious, non-sensical, unlogical and force-fed ironic. It's like the quintessence of a millenials humor. And millenials humor is imho very blunt, clumsy and only funny because they think it's deep and sophisticated. I don't like it at all.

Which actually saddens me. I would have liked to have a game with the general concept. But so far everything I have seen leaves me dissappointed... :(

Terenty

Liturgist
This is one of the cringiest dialogues I've seen in a long time:

How in the world is that the cringiest dialog you have seen? There's not even a lol random joke in there other than the moment where she pretends to launch you out of the ship. Otherwise its about a defenseless AI accepting you by assigning you the identity of her captain/owner. Which is a pretty decent concept imo.

Any line in Greedfall is way worse.

Unless you are just that good in avoiding shit in which case

:thumbsup:

It just reeks of "look here its a funny dialogue with a funny computer ai".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Heh, Avellone's May of Rage thread is quite awkward in hindsight. None of his various wild accusations about embezzlement of funds, poor business practices and bad treatment of workers got taken seriously by the media who usually jump on those kinds of revelations. Then MS acquisition happens and you can bet Microsoft is thoroughly vetting the books and company culture before they decide to buy a company.

it looks as if dude was just immensely butthurt Feargus will get his dream big payout and hoped he will sabotage the MS deal by shitposting on the Codex or something. Lol.

Counterpoint: Microsoft bought inXile and Double Fine.

Thread was too busy discussing Taco Bell commercials to notice Ellie's VA is different.

I thought it sounded kinda different but I couldn't quite remember since the last time I heard Ellie was last year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom