Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile's Torment backer portal got taken down, unclaimed rewards are unavailable

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does anyone here have a backup of the Planescape Torment Developer retrospective PDF that was released by InExile as a backer reward for NumaNuma?
Turns out those cocksuckers shut down their backer portal a while ago so I can't download it anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd rather not do that. I'm happy to share with a few friends but posting a public link ... eh. If you want to, pm me your email address and you can do it once I've sent it to you.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
So, after some digging, I find out that apparently they killed it about a year ago already without a word to anyone. That's just... crazy. I never bothered to play the game on release, so I never got the key out or any of the rewards. Infinitron there's a petition at https://www.change.org/p/inxile-ent...ment-backer-portal?source_location=topic_page that wouldn't hurt to have in the news about this. I doubt that it'll make any difference even if hits a 1000 signees, but at least it would be good to raise awareness how fast Inxile buries their not so popular games.

See also: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/comments

Edit: and https://www.reddit.com/r/Torment/comments/bgsvk6/sign_petition_to_restore_the_backer_portal/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not like they won't give you a key if you ask them. Contact support.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It's not like they won't give you a key if you ask them. Contact support.

According to the numerous sources linked in my post, it's been a PITA taking ages for most people to get a key out. I probably still have a couple dozen left there from unclaimed pledges made via our site (Sorcerer's Place). I don't have a list of all the rewards that also came with all the money we sent to Inxile, I never expected the backer portal to disappear without as much as a warning. So now I need to hunt down everything that I have the right to claim, great.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It's not exactly piracy when there's no way to obtain it anymore.
Yes it is.

*They have the right remove it—and did.

**Edit: It's funny as hell to read these negative ratings, because it really is these members signing their positive opinion of theft & piracy; and afirming their lack of moral character.
Don't go into politics when you grow up.
Picard_smirk_small.png

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Lulz, they can't afford to keep a shiity site online? Which has keys you paid for? Pay for a game, wait for months for the key, if you get it at all. Yeah, kickstarter backers are SO important to inxile.

What an absolute shit of a company.

But maybe Zyklon Beekers is expensive. Maybe they can't afford both such an elite writer and to fullfill their responsibilities. I think they need a new kickstarter to restore the portals.

I think I didn't even download their shitty rewards. I assumed that at least I'd get notified if they take them down. Guess you can't expect even a shred of decency from this shit company.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
So I guess the buyer doesn't have the right to what he paid for, is that correct, retarded corporate bootlicker? The rights of companies before the rights of buyers, just like a good corporate drone.
Companies, and buyers are groups both comprised of people—neither is more important that the other, and both have rights that must be respected.

In fact, a company can buy from another company who bought from them... and then they are both each other's buyers.

If you have a problem with a company's product (including obtaining it), you take it up with the company—not demand that someone give you an illegal duplicate... by public link no less. That screws over the company by publicly giving their work away; which you have no right to do or demand.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't really see how it can be their right to remove something people payed for and not be held responsible in any way. But I guess I'm not a corporate cocksucker.

Anyway, maybe someone bug Fargo on twitter about it. He's always there posting stupid shit anyway, maybe he'll do something about it.
Oh, and ask him just how important backers are for inxile. I want to know for future reference next time they beg for money.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More complicated than you might think at first glance.

It's certainly not illegal for a user to download something they already paid for from an alternate source. But for the primary source to stop hosting it doesn't instantly make it public domain - for someone like me to upload it on a public link wouldn't be a squeaky clean move.

Something certainly happened here. I don't have any insider info, but I suppose the awful backer portal site they were using charged them substantially enough for them to cancel service after a while. Or maybe that provider simply folded, wouldn't be the first file hosting site to do so. Could be a lot of reasons the backer portal went away.

A lot of the backers who are screaming for their entitlement now might be the same kind of people who would complain about an official public upload: "We paid extra for this, now everyone gets it free?!" This isn't an argument, just an observation of a complicating factor.

Notable: inXile's community coordinator, the front line guy to deal with a customer satisfaction issue like this, just left the company. Like, this week. If anybody new was hired for that role, I didn't hear about it.

It's weird to me that anyone would back a digital download project, then wait three years after release to actually download it, then complain when the download was no longer available. Websites go down, companies change hands, nothing on the internet lasts fucking forever. Check your email, get your shit.

Honestly, I think these people are only complaining because they heard it wasn't available any more. The majority of them were never going to actually download it in the first place.

All that said, I agree that inXile should just put the extra stuff up on Mega and let it fly free.

Lastly, I wonder if Microsoft would be assholes about it if they did that. After all, they own it all now, don't they?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Check your email, get your shit.

Pretty sure I didn't get any email saying they're gonna take them down.
Yes, stuff goes down and, but usually people are warned about it in advance. Not the case for a garbage company, though, that's true.

And really, if you can't afford to keep a shiity site with a couple of downloads online you probably shouldn't exist.

Just saying that people should have downloaded the stuff already is retarded apologism. There was no warning about it and time is not really a valid reason. I think I waited like two years, if not more, to play W2. Guess I should be lucky I could get my key, because you don't really deserve it if you wait whatever arbitrary amount of time you think is too long?

"Entitlement". Lol. Yes, of course, asking to get what you paid for is entitlement these days. Fuck off and play dress up in W2, fanbot.

And funny that it's usually the $15 backers who think they're big supporters and always accuse the others of entitlement. Bet you're one of those.

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here are some problems I have with what InExile did:

1) I certainly don’t expect them to host the backer rewards perpetually, but I don’t think it would be too much to ask of them to keep the servers running for 4-5 years after the release, given that they:

a) are still a commercially active company that is developing other games and
b) are still selling Tides of Numenera and thus, also required to provide support for this game and keep a support infrastructure in place.

We are basically talking about a pretty simple database here with little traffic, you can take the cheapest webspace there is and call it a day.

2) Certainly it wouldn’t hurt to send 1-2 reminder emails to all backers before shutting the portal down? „Last chance to claim your rewards, backer portal closes down on [date]!“ This is literally half an hour of work or so!

3) For whatever reason, the planescape pdf is not hosted in the Kickstarter versions of the game on Steam nor GOG. The other digital rewards are listed as „Extras“ in my GOG copy of the game, but the planescape retrospective is missing and was available only from their portal, despite being promised as a reward from the very start? Why?

4) If you fail to keep your backer portal online, give people the possibility to claim their rewards via a support request. Reports on this differ, but it seems to be a pretty big hassle to go through their support, to say the least. It seems at least some people where not successful in claiming their rewards this way.

5) I‘m not entirely sure, but I think some of the higher Tier backer rewards (comics and stuff like that) still haven’t been completed and have probably been abandoned!

All in all, this further solidifies InExile‘s image as a amateurish, chaotic and badly run train wreck of a company that shows backers the middle finger as soon as they feel they can get away with it.

I realize money is tight and the company seems to be in perpetual crisis mode. In such situations good customer support is the first thing to get thrown out of the window, but it wouldn’t have taken a lot of time and effort to make life easier for the late reward claimers.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
5) I‘m not entirely sure, but I think some of the higher Tier backer rewards (comics and stuff like that) still haven’t been completed and have probably been abandoned!

Weren't they supposed to have sone posters too? I don't think those ever made it either. And I'm pretty sure they failed to do all they promised in their stretch goals.
But now they even fail to provide the shit they did. This is eastern-european level of incompetence and disregard for costumers.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Setting up a simple html 1.0 site where you enter your email, get the email confirmation link and then you have a list of things you're allowed to download, no UI, extremely basic. Costs 1 day to make, and 10 bucks/month operational costs.

Just look at this:

528f9e144004fcf52a2f0d6ee3589818.png

09bdea72ad97772fef6972d274b05e24.png

387ac407edb2e315b05db2784b015f8d.png

e5eb3d7f39a6f796549e8a4a5bb7029d.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fanbots will be fanbots. Apparently inXile did the right thing since wanting what you paid for is entitlement?

Not even a thought that maybe they didn't go about it in the most elegant way. Automatically the customer is to blame and has to be belittled. I really can't imagine how it feels to be such s brainwashed sheeple. And for a shit company like this on top of that. Must be that "ignorance is bliss" thing.

Also, inb4 backers get banned on their forums for asking to get the things they paid for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom