Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I liked this game but now that the hype is dying down I rate it a solid fuck out of cunt. I came up with this rating system myself, you fool. Don't underestimate me

I'll admit that from a storytelling perspective, this game is doing what I think crpgs should have been doing for a long time. I went to the point of thinking that combat mechanics were superfluous archaic elements inherited from war games ; no reason why crpgs should integrate them (just like table top rpgs are not inherently about violent conflicts, "a combat system"). The idea seemed rather risky however, because combat usually is the meat of the gameplay... here it seems to work ; it makes a strong case to go in a way where two very genre of games could come out - the story C&C ones, and the tactical ones. In the recent years, after AoD, I haven't given a single shit about C&C, given that it's mostly become a marketing gimmick ; I only concentrated on tacticool games. But maybe something is happening right now, something wonderful. I don't give a shit, we are living a kind of new golden age of crpgs. If you don't agree get fucked, because the genre never was as active as it is now. Doesn't mean your shit life is doing any better, of course.

There's some insipid uneasiness about the political shit here ; the game "presents right wingers in an undignified manner" and "should not talk about politics" but "keep it to a human level"... fuck your human level. Be uncomfortable you fat ugly fuck. How the hell can you be right wight and dignified if you're not rich, you stupid asshole? What the fuck are you even talking about? Or maybe you are actually rich. If so, I express my utmost respect, good sir. Your cultivated consciousness is a sight to contemplate in this life and the next ; surely you have seen reality as it really is, a true sign of a superior intellect that knows the deep secrets of human should conduct themselves in a civilized environnement. I still want to gut you like a pig, because you are a little pig of a man. Dialectics, my man. You know how it goes

frajaq

Erudite
What happened with the cryptozoologist lady being a companion just like Kim?

I could SWEAR I saw a preview picture of this game with her portrait on the bottom left corner just like Protag/Kim

Erebus

Arcane
You know, giving your game a good name isn't essential, but if this one were still called "No truce with the furies", I think I'd have already bought it. "Disco Elysium" doesn't have the same appeal. At all.

Vatnik Wumao
You know, giving your game a good name isn't essential, but if this one were still called "No truce with the furies", I think I'd have already bought it. "Disco Elysium" doesn't have the same appeal. At all.
iu

Fitting name, lad.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
What happened with the cryptozoologist lady being a companion just like Kim?

I could SWEAR I saw a preview picture of this game with her portrait on the bottom left corner just like Protag/Kim
She would make a fine companion and get on Kim's nerves. Win-win really.

Goose

Learned
There's some insipid uneasiness about the political shit here ; the game "presents right wingers in an undignified manner" and "should not talk about politics" but "keep it to a human level"... fuck your human level. Be uncomfortable you fat ugly fuck. How the hell can you be right wight and dignified if you're not rich, you stupid asshole? What the fuck are you even talking about? Or maybe you are actually rich. If so, I express my utmost respect, good sir. Your cultivated consciousness is a sight to contemplate in this life and the next ; surely you have seen reality as it really is, a true sign of a superior intellect that knows the deep secrets of human should conduct themselves in a civilized environnement. I still want to gut you like a pig, because you are a little pig of a man. Dialectics, my man. You know how it goes

Behold, the target audience for Disco Elysium.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The programmer gives the quest for that?

Yes, starting with water bowls and radiocomputer diagnostics and culminating with the hole's
sound feedback loop shaking the whole goddamn place
. As part of that you discover what the hole is about to a larger degree.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Yes, starting with water bowls and radiocomputer diagnostics and culminating with the hole's

Maybe I'm wrong but that's just normal dialogue. It's not like you get a quest in the journal. Or?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's just normal dialogue. It's not like you get a quest in the journal. Or?

Well, it’s an optional part of the doomed commercial area quest. Opens up a new answer for the bookstore lady.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Something I found hilarious about the Armour (late game spoilers):

I found it hilarious that the one piece of armour you can't get (the leggings) is the one piece your character would have needed to prevent getting wounded in the showdown with the mercs. Despite walking around with the rest of your body protected, it never actually becomes relevant.

Well played devs.

You gety Leggins armor from Cuno, i think. For 15 reals.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I've got success on all the checks from than fight except the Reaction Speed and I can confirm that I've saved Kim, Elizabeth, Titus but Glen, Theo, Angus and Shanky got killed in the end. I don't know if the result could have been different.

Also I let Ruby live but you need like 5 Endurance for that (which you can do by using drugs).

Its possible to have 3 killed, not 4.

But can be avoided at all or even less deaths than 3?

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Now that I've finished it I have to say that I feel the opposite of someone who posted about 533 pages back. It starts off strong and weakens over time with a highly disappointing third act and climax / denouement. The gameplay was fine, and did not suffer from no combat at all. The writing got a bit thick and I did find myself starting to skip big chunks especially on sidequests. Tightened editing and brevity would have been a good thing, there is such a thing as too much. Here is my 4 paragraph break down of the plot and ending.

Mad endgame spoilers incoming...

Where to start? The entire ethos of the game is that you are somehow perhaps something far greater than you appear which is a broken down wino of a cop. I suppose one could say this is just a psychosis with all the 'voices' in your head leading you to believe that but there is a tangible external piece to this too which becomes acutely apparent at the ending scene of the game.

After that scene which turns reality on its head you walk back down to meet the rest of the cop unit who drag you back to reality and thus the moment of wonder & magic is pretty much erased. You are also constantly bombarded with messaging about 'The Return' which remains this nebulous and elusive thing that is never quantified although it is hinted that it has to do with the Innocent Dolores Dei, and that you are strongly connected. Likewise, Dolores Dei is revealed to be some superhuman 'thing' so you are really primed for having the game confirm your beliefs in the supernatural / extraordinary. This goes... nowhere. Even after the Phasmid appears and then quickly disappears you are back to mundanesville. No mystery, just basic cop work, alcohol induced temporary psychosis / memory loss. And a killer who is the ultimate macguffin that just fucking appears out of nowhere in the last hour of the game.

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out which of the incredibly well crafted characters I had just spent dozens of hours with may be the actual killer. Ruby, Klaasje, fuck I even started to suspect Kim! What a plot twist would that be? He could easily have had his own motivation given the fascist / racist / murderous nature of the mercenary. But no, instead we get 'rando old guy commutard who has been on the run for 4 decades but didn't exist up until 45 min ago'. Dafuq is that? Ultimate let down. Epic lack of pay off.

I was also thinking that Dolores Dei, something supernatural and awesome, and some major world changing events would go down by the end given that the story oozes and drips with talk of it and foreshadowing. No, we get a fucking giant sentient twig bug dropping cryptic and meaningless stuff who then vanishes back into the background being nothing more than a convenient plot device to add a slight 'wow' factor to an otherwise incredibly normalfag and mundane ending.

tl;dr- First 2/3 were awesome, last 1/3 (and arguably the most important, Act 3) was hot garbage.

Last edited:

NullFlow

Savant
Enjoyed it enough I guess for a weekend tryst, but there's some islands of disappointment. It's definitely not the length as advertised as far as I know and I felt I cleared out 95% of the content in my 12 hours. I wasn't even speeding through. The thought cabinet is an interesting concept but I found myself rarely using it, and wasn't punished for it either. I'm sure I had an abundance of skill points left untouched at the end and still breezed across with little resistance. Maybe it's due to how the skill rolls are and how you can exploit how consequence-free you can switch between your attire to make a check work. The game was well-written enough for its side content and characters with some great moments here and there. It makes some interesting delves into the philosophical and with its world and its history, but I can't say that for its treatment of politics. The ending was abrupt and anti-climactic for my tastes with a lot of ties left loose. For the hype and review scores it garnered, it wasn't as disco as I expected.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I've got success on all the checks from than fight except the Reaction Speed and I can confirm that I've saved Kim, Elizabeth, Titus but Glen, Theo, Angus and Shanky got killed in the end. I don't know if the result could have been different.

Also I let Ruby live but you need like 5 Endurance for that (which you can do by using drugs).

Its possible to have 3 killed, not 4.

But can be avoided at all or even less deaths than 3?

Nope. I don't think less than 3 is possible.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Enjoyed it enough I guess for a weekend tryst, but there's some islands of disappointment. It's definitely not the length as advertised as far as I know and I felt I cleared out 95% of the content in my 12 hours. I wasn't even speeding through. The thought cabinet is an interesting concept but I found myself rarely using it, and wasn't punished for it either. I'm sure I had an abundance of skill points left untouched at the end and still breezed across with little resistance. Maybe it's due to how the skill rolls are and how you can exploit how consequence-free you can switch between your attire to make a check work. The game was well-written enough for its side content and characters with some great moments here and there. It makes some interesting delves into the philosophical and with its world and its history, but I can't say that for its treatment of politics. The ending was abrupt and anti-climactic for my tastes with a lot of ties left loose. For the hype and review scores it garnered, it wasn't as disco as I expected.
Man i played for 13 hours and it is still only Tuesday. Just saying...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't even know how you complete the game in 12 hours, let alone think you hit 95% of the content. Time only passing when you do things means you have to explore and vacuum all the conversations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom