Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium Released

Shadenuat

Arcane
It is inconsistent area/skill design. Same as you can lose a hitpoint by sitting in uncofmy chair or lose equal amount by slamming yourself full speed like retard on a ancient wooden barricaded door.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've been to the docks and talked to the boss NPC, it's nowhere near how he's described.
First, you have to be mentally retarded to die during the conversation. I haven't died once and in day 3 now.
Second, if you play smart, like an experienced RPG player (which you ought to as a codexer), you should have at least 3-4 healing potions for both mental and health pools, so on some ocassions you do lose hp, it's instantly restored. And some skills heal your morale during conversation.
Third, if you have any brains, you can tell how to prepare for the situation, bring tools, boost your skills, level up.
Fourth, this is not a mindless Obsidian Kickstarter game where you can roam and vacuum clickable items without having to use your brain once.

Sorry to say, but all the complaints so far have done is identified dumbfucks and RPG posers who would've probably either get stuck in Planescape Torment or rage quit. Literally where is your shame?

Prime Junta

Marketing: "Disco Elysium is groundbreaking open world game with unprecedented freedom of choice"

Reality: invisible walls grow behind your back without warning and you get stuck in area forever.

:betrayed:

I thought we were discussing progress-blocking bugs.

Nice goalpost-shifting though, IHaveHugeAgenda.

Shadenuat

Arcane
First, you have to be mentally retarded to die during the conversation.
Technically, Thinker, who is proposed by the game as 1st pick, has PSY of 1, which means a single morale loss in the beginning like touching a car with yellow check is instant death.

Kz3r0

Arcane
So in your view, game design should advertise endless roleplaying possibilities! Make whatever character you want! Experiment with crazy builds! All while not bothering to test the game for progression blocking builds
It's not a question of progression blocking builds, it's a question of progression blocking boneheaded decision-making. Would you rush into a boss battle with 1 HP and no healing items?
And won.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I thought we were discussing progress-blocking bugs.

No, we were discussing that Disco Elysium is a visual novel on rails and it filled you with such butthurt, you've resorted to using examples of people getting accidently stuck in a wall as a proof of challenging gameplay.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
First, you have to be mentally retarded to die during the conversation.
Technically, Thinker, who is proposed by the game as 1st pick, has PSY of 1, which means a single morale loss in the beginning like touching a car with yellow check is instant death.
But players with brains will learn from either your example or the Endurance check tutorial with the body, where you had to invest one point in Endurance, use gloves, talk, get details to boost up the die roll check probability and pass. Using brain is hard.

Deleted Member 22431

The same players who bashed AoD due to its gated content and harsh skill checks are now doing mental gymnastics to defend DE for doing the same fucking thing.

THIS HYPOCRISY IS LAUGHABLE!

JDR13

Arcane
I don't agree that Disco Elysium is a visual novel, but I do think it's fair to question how much of an RPG it is.

IMO, it's really more of an adventure game with some RPG elements.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the problem is game geometry limiting the movement for no sensible reason and without clearly telegraphing to the player that's it's a one way street.
That would be somewhat true if... true. Can anyone confirm? I don't care starting another playthrough just to check out.

You can find a way out if you wait around in the docks until after 22 hours by bringing something to read or inspect to advance time, like a book or your clipboard of case files.

You can also advance time by talking to the guy sitting outside Evrart’s office or trying to talk to the guy in the hanging shipping container. Should have enough INT to pass that check if your PSY and MOT are low enough to die from talking to Evrart. Given that Composure protects you from losing morale, like pain threshold for losing health, it’s an unusual situation to find yourself in. You need to pass Perception and Savoir Fair checks to find this way in, and getting through both if you dumped motorics isn’t easy.

IIRC at 22 or 23hrs Evrart goes to sleep for the day and leaves his badge near the coffee machine; the badge allows you to open the door.

There are multiple morale healing magnesiums scattered on the route between the hotel and Evrart’s office, too. At least two or three if you’re vacuuming up spare change and consumables, as one does. When I played earlier this year, I remember there was no magnesium in the harbor, but they added one right near Evrart’s office to make this scenario more beatable. And I think there’s another one in the little room near the locked exit.

Given the nature of the game, it’s super easy to restart from the very beginning and make up your progress in ten minutes if you get stuck on the first day.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Found another bug. Went to sleep, and on day 3, I can't move around my room anymore or my character..

0/10 SHIT GAEM!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Found another bug. Went to sleep, and on day 3, I can't move around my room anymore or my character..

0/10 SHIT GAEM!

Quicksave and reload—problem solved

The same players who bashed AoD due to its gated content and harsh skill checks are now doing mental gymnastics to defend DE for doing the same fucking thing.
I don't. Not even going to touch the game, had enough of CYOAing in AoD (which at least had decent writing).

The funny thing is that it’s Goral who’s bashing this game for gated content and harsh skillchecks, and as far as I know he’s never bashed AoD for anything.

Shadenuat

Arcane
But players with brains will learn from either your example or the Endurance check
No prebuild starts with 1 Endurance.
They simply should have made Thinker a 5-2-2-3.

Just compare to next build on start, he can make 7 mistakes in dialogue; while the first one can make 1. (due to 2 fys)

Deleted Member 22431

The funny thing is that it’s Goral who’s bashing this game for gated content and harsh skillchecks, and as far as I know he’s never bashed AoD for anything.
Not really. He is criticising the game for a poorly made gated content. Big difference. In AoD, you have three different ways to surpass any given skill/stat check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao, what fatal interaction is happening to Goral exactly? Dude is blocked by invisible walls, that's it.
He can get out by talking to Evrart, but he's mentally pwned and suffers a breakdown if he tries.

I went into the docks and now I can't get out unless I talk with Evrart. (...) the conversation with the fat guy costs me at least 3 morale no matter what :D

Could he have predicted he'd need those 3 morale to get out, other than a good-but-vague advice that he should be prepared at all times? Agendas aside it is bad design to let the player save or progress a good while after walking past a point of no return and require X to leave but X is only acquired outside. Some games make subtle suggestions you should save before those parts (or sometimes they just give you a prompt saying "save now") to avoid that, the skill check to jump down isn't enough since it only shows he can't go back that way.

He rolled a 1 Volition character, then broke into the harbour using a clearly indicated one-way entry point (the jump), into a conversation with the mindfuckiest character in the game without any healing supplies or character points, didn't find a way to beat the encounter without losing Morale, died, and got into a Game Over situation because said one-way jump stopped him from getting said healing supplies. That's not a bug, that's by design.

How would you have designed that? 'Cuz I can't see any way out of it that wouldn't have effectively removed a part or all of the challenges.

Adding a way of recovering Volition after the one way passage, at least so he can leave and come back prepared for said challenge.

Unless there is one and no one found it

edit: missed Kyl's reply with alternative solutions, disregard

Last edited:
The bad thing about Lurker King and Goral is that they make me feel bad about being an AoD fanboy.

The good thing about Lurker King and Goral is that they make me feel good about being a DE fanboy.

Deleted Member 22431

The truth is that I’m just butthurt because I can’t play the game due to the system requirements. I can’t believe I will actually have to buy a new pc just to play a text-gameplay cRPG. First ELEX and now this. That's so sad! You can bet that this idiotic heavy graphics thing will marginalize a part of the intended audience.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
No prebuild starts with 1 Endurance.
They simply should have made Thinker a 5-2-2-3.

Just compare to next build on start, he can make 7 mistakes in dialogue; while the first one can make 1. (due to 2 fys)
To be fair, I'm not familiar with prebuilds, made my own character.
But my point is, you can invest a skill point or two in your weak spots to avoid dying.

Vatnik Wumao
The truth is that I’m just butthurt because I can’t play the game due to the system requirements. I can’t believe I will actually have to buy a new pc just to play a text-gameplay cRPG. First ELEX and now this. That's so sad! You can bet that this idiotic heavy graphics thing will marginalize a part of the intended audience.
You can't please everybody, mate. If it had lower requirements (and implicitly lower quality design), you'd annoy others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom