Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is the stuff we will see in real time on next-gen

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Still betting my I7 4790k and 980 GTX will see through the next generation with a few sliders down.

Which will allow me enough time to buy a 5 000 euros machine when the next next gen comes and we all play on Google Stadia.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Still betting my I7 4790k and 980 GTX will see through the next generation with a few sliders down.

In 1080p at 30fps or less, 980gtx is getting dated now, you'd probably have to set all sliders to lowest or the most performance ones like shadows.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Latest rumour says PS5 will have 24GB HBM2 ram

S6lZDYB.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I predict a $699 and a $799 option at launch.

What the $799 option will have extra, right now is a mystery.

Zep--

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Analysis on the Zen2/RDNA vs PC and PS4 pro, some good stuff. PS4 essentialy had a 2008 CPU, RDNA provides 60% increase on performance over GCN alone.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
In cinebench benchmark the Zen 2 is 7 times faster than the ps4 cpu.

nani !

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Two days after the PS5 comes out, you'll see Youtube videos "How to build a PS5-like PC for 400$ with benchmarks that compare to the actual thing.

Quote me on that.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Two days after the PS5 comes out, you'll see Youtube videos "How to build a PS5-like PC for 400$ with benchmarks that compare to the actual thing.

Quote me on that.

ok, but i can tell you already that it will be not physically possible, because even in 2020 if amd/intel/nvidia will release new gpus and cpus they will have only a few % performance increase over current ones from this year that will be in PS5.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Quote me on that.

Nah, you wouldn't be able. The thing is if they don't price the consoles around 600$ they will lose too much money. Simple math shows us that for the first 6 months of console sales every 100$ loss per machine is 1B in cash.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well you will be able to build similar PC when the console release next year for around 700$.
The CPU boost on the console will be 3.2, so something like R7 1700 for 150$ is very comparable.
5700 is 350$ now, so in a year it would be 300$ for sure.
RAM, mobo and SSD is around 250$ more.
So that is 700$ PC now with new parts, if you go 2nd hand it's a 600$ machine.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The CPU boost on the console will be 3.2, so something like R7 1700 for 150$ is very comparable.

There's also a thing called IPC (instructions per cycle) which newer CPU's have more than the old ones, so Zen 2 leaves that CPU behind as it is 2 generations older.

That's why the newer CPUs are generaly faster even if they have same cores and clock speed, because of the IPC.

also you have to add psu and a case, so 50+50 and more comparable cpu another 50, that is 850$.

850$ just to have same hardware.....now comes in the optimizations, which at minimum, double the PC requirements, which is a 1500$ PC.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron

There's also a thing called IPC (instructions per cycle) which newer CPU's have more than the old ones, so Zen 2 leaves that CPU behind as it is 2 generations older.

That's why the newer CPUs are generaly faster even if they have same cores and clock speed, because of the IPC.

also you have to add psu and a case, so 50+50 and more comparable cpu another 50, that is 850$.

850$ just to have same hardware.....now comes in the optimizations, which at minimum, double the PC requirements.

No, the clocks on the 1700 will negate the IPC gain of Zen 2, you even can go with 10$ more for 2700 and actually get better CPU than what will be in consoles.

And these are prices now, in one year they will drop, especially the GPU pricing may get wonky with intel's entry or new series from both nvidia and amd.

soulburner

Cipher
Why are you still comparing consoles to PCs? While they are technically a modified PC, you do not see anyone ever try to build a PS4 level PC (well, you do, but they suck at it). Not only because a similar CPU doesn't exist on the PC (8 core Atom-like), any other similarly poor CPU would not be capable of running any game at all. The Jaguar CPU was very low end on the day the PS4 entered the market. Next year, the PS4 will enter the market with a pretty high end CPU. The same way console game designers are able to squeeze an 8 core Atom-like CPU to do anything, they will also be able to do with the new Ryzen CPU. And they will instantly forget all this when porting their game to the PC. Ryzen here, Ryzen there, but the consoles' Ryzen will be utilized better, same with the RDNA graphics architecture - the PC ports will keep running better on an Nvidia in DX11 mode. Partly because of lazy developers, and partly because the architectural differences, which will make some console optimizations unavailable for the PC: the PS5 will use unified HBM memory for most of its game related tasks and it will be accessible to both the CPU and GPU at the same time, at the same speed. Something our PCs with puny DDR4 will never be able to get close to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom