Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another "I just finished AoD" thread.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

I know there was another thread like this already made, but that retard gifted himself a bunch of points so it doesn't count. I went through the game as a spear and shield wielding mercenary that sided with the Imperial guard, reforged the Empire in an alliance with House Aurelian, and I ended the game by killing Agatoth. I had Spear 10, Block 9, so with the power armor, a bola, and the bomb you find in Hellgate, it was literally as simple as arterial striking him to death in 3 turns.

Overall, Age of Decadence really is a great RPG. I finally managed to get past the horrible optimization and poor graphics, and I got to enjoy the great things this game has to offer. The writing was solid throughout, and even exceptional at certain points. I was very surprised at the tactical depth of the combat, and how enjoyable it was. The different strikes and how they effect the character allowed for various different strategies to be implemented, and I also liked the wide range of combat utilities that were essential to win certain fights. I didn't mind the teleporting around, nor did I mind the "scripted events". People who complain about such things and compare the game to a glorified CHYOA novel are retarded and can fuck right off.

Almost every single one of my complaints have nothing to do with the actual content of the game, and more to do with its optimization, graphics, and other such things. The game is filled with constant crashes and multiple bugs, often forcing me to alt-f4 the game, or sometimes sign out and relog back in to my windows user account because I lose the ability to restart the game or alt-tab out. The art style and graphics are really bad, and moving around and just being in the game is unsatisfying. I found myself often being sucked in by the quests and combat of the game, only to be sucked right back out due to one issue or another. There is no proper way to highlight points of interest for some god forsaken reason, and it's often unclear what can and cannot be clicked on. The UI wasn't bad, and the character UI screen was actually really good, but I have no clue why they took a page from Fallout's book and made the inventory a single column that you have to scroll down to get to stuff.

I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the AoD formula in terms of combat, skill checks, and even the teleporting. The core of the game is very good, and the developers should just focus on more creating more content with this core system. What needs to be improved upon is the game's poor optimization (a game that feels good to play will create positive emotions within the person playing it, this is self evident), the graphics (specifically textures and even the art style at some points. Certain locations are very nice, while others look like shit), and some general QoL features. I'm excited to see what the studio does with Colony Ship, and I hope they took steps to make it easier to actually get into and enjoy the quality game/writing that they've made.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is no proper way to highlight points of interest for some god forsaken reason, and it's often unclear what can and cannot be clicked on.

Have you tried press Tab?
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

Yeah I did. Add it to my complaints regarding poor UI and QoL features. The little eyeballs that show up are hard to see, and sometimes they don't show up at all. I find it wild that two decade old IE games have a better highlighting feature than AoD...

Black Angel

Arcane
Almost every single one of my complaints have nothing to do with the actual content of the game, and more to do with its optimization, graphics, and other such things. The game is filled with constant crashes and multiple bugs, often forcing me to alt-f4 the game, or sometimes sign out and relog back in to my windows user account because I lose the ability to restart the game or alt-tab out. The art style and graphics are really bad, and moving around and just being in the game is unsatisfying. I found myself often being sucked in by the quests and combat of the game, only to be sucked right back out due to one issue or another.
It's a shame you had to go through this. I had practically zero issues such as these, except that one time when my laptop derped for the nth time which resulted in not just AoD, but other more 'demanding' games stuttering so bad and plays at <10 fps.

I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the AoD formula in terms of combat, skill checks, and even the teleporting. The core of the game is very good, and the developers should just focus on more creating more content with this core system.
This. Fuck yeah, been meaning to say that the teleporting is one of the reasons why the game is so fucking replayable that it's probably my THE most replayed game of all time at this point. I completely lost track of how much I replayed the game in the span of 300+ hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom