Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

frajaq

Erudite
I think the thinking is that it discourages gaming the THC too much. The intent is that it encourages you to roleplay; picking and discarding thoughts just for the bonuses goes counter to that. It doesn't completely cockblock you however, there are situations where you might want to do that anyway and not just because you internalised a dumb thought -- for example, be a Superstar, level up your Perception, then make room for some other Thought.

I mean we are talking about a game that you have to pass "skill checkpoints" at key moments in the investigation to progress further, of course people are gonna "game" it, just like the clothing system

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
RPGs are just games that use numbers to demonstrate what your character can do, it doesn't matter whether it's tabletop, or was made on Jupiter, that part is irrelevant

So you're telling me that somebody who has no experience with the type of game the developers of this game were trying to emulate, in their own words, has the same value of opinion as those with experience in tabletops? The fuck outta here you fuckin' scrub.

How in the actual fuck would you know how close they came to their target if you have fuckall knowledge what their target is?

Insert Title Here
The game was good, and I hope to see more from ZA/UM.

9/10. That's my professional review.

Also, that bizarre event at the end was really moving, and I don't even know why.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
RPGs are just games that use numbers to demonstrate what your character can do, it doesn't matter whether it's tabletop, or was made on Jupiter, that part is irrelevant

So you're telling me that somebody who has no experience with the type of game the developers of this game were trying to emulate, in their own words, has the same value of opinion as those with experience in tabletops? The fuck outta here you fuckin' scrub.

How in the actual fuck would you know how close they came to their target if you have fuckall knowledge what their target is?
Just because you played a game with numbers on a table with figurines doesn't make your opinion more valid than someone who played with virtual figurines on a screen

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the numbers and the system, not the way you played it

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Just because you played a game with numbers on a table with figurines doesn't make your opinion more valid than someone who played with virtual figurines on a screen

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the numbers and the system, not the way you played it

Bullshit. You fucking moron. If I say "I'm trying to make a game that closely resembles a tabletop experience" the only fucking people who can actually judge how well they did in that regard are people with tabletop experience. You stupid fucking moron.

EDIT: What in the living FUCK do figurines have to do with anything? See? This is exactly the type of ignorance I'm speaking of.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

Bullshit. You fucking moron. If I say "I'm trying to make a game that closely resembles a tabletop experience" the only fucking people who can actually judge how well they did in that regard are people with tabletop experience. You stupid fucking moron.
Just because you played a game with numbers on a tabletop, doesn't make the system different from someone who played it outside in the grass

It would be like saying basketball outside is completely different than playing it inside, even though the rules are the same, the core game is the same no matter where you play it.

Of course there is wind when you play outside, and when you play inside there might be rafters that block your shots, like my shitty gym had

But the underlying game has the same rules

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Just because you played a game with numbers on a tabletop, doesn't make the system different from someone who played it outside in the grass

It would be like saying basketball outside is completely different than playing it inside, even though the rules are the same, the core game is the same no matter where you play it.

Of course there is wind when you play outside, and when you play inside there might be rafters that block your shots, like my shitty gym had

You can say you liked the game or not. But you can't judge it against what the experience is the developers intended. Period. The only people who can speak to the success of the game with regards to feeling like a tabletop experience are people with tabletop experience. This is logic 101, scrub. Stop talking just because you want to be right.

Last edited:

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

You can say you liked the game or not. But you can't judge it against what the experience is the developers intended. Period. The only people who can speak to the success of the game with regards to feeling like a tabletop experience are people with tabletop experience. This is logic 101, scrub. Stop talking just because you want to be right.

What's the difference between a virtual table and a real table, they are just a place where you put things

If the rules are the same then they function the same

What's the difference between playing basketball outside vs inside, the game is the same the setting just changes

There is nothing a tabletop game can do that a video game can't if the rules are the same, only the superficial setting changes

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You know what I just realized that I'm missing?

A Codex.

You meet tons of people in the game, and you're expected to keep track of them, know their names, understand the references. But I'm absolutely fucking useless when it comes to names, and can forget the names of people while still talking to them immediately after an introduction. I went to school with people for 5 years or more and I still manage to forget their names.

For example, Logic just chimed in about a connection to something Easy Leo said.

I have absolutely no idea who Easy Leo is. Drawing a complete blank. I can open up the journal, the thought cabinet, the character sheet all I want, and it won't help, but what I really need is a codex with a few notes on each person that I meet, even if it's just their name, face, location, and something like "Chairman of such and such" or "Racist lorry driver".

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
What's the difference between a virtual table and a real table, they are just a place where you put things

If the rules are the same then they function the same

What's the difference between playing basketball outside vs inside, the game is the same the setting just changes

There is nothing a tabletop game can do that a video game can't if the rules are the same, only the superficial setting changes

Anybody with tabletop RPG experience can tell you how vastly different it can be in a multitude of ways, from your average cRPG experience. I keep bringing up Call of Cthulhu for a reason: Just like Disco you don't enter into combat if you can avoid it. You're playing average, flawed human beings. You're doing investigative work and speaking and that's how you progress. People calling this a visual novel when people with tabletop experience are saying "Yeah, this actually hits the mark in feeling like a tabletop" is an unbalanced argument where one group has experience that the other group doesn't yet both are trying to speak to the core of the game's nature.

And as somebody who apparently has not played tabletop RPGs, you literally have no right to say what you said in your last sentence.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

A Codex.

You meet tons of people in the game, and you're expected to keep track of them, know their names, understand the references. But I'm absolutely fucking useless when it comes to names, and can forget the names of people while still talking to them immediately after an introduction. I went to school with people for 5 years or more and I still manage to forget their names.

For example, Logic just chimed in about a connection to something Easy Leo said.

I have absolutely no idea who Easy Leo is. Drawing a complete blank. I can open up the journal, the thought cabinet, the character sheet all I want, and it won't help, but what I really need is a codex with a few notes on each person that I meet, even if it's just their name, face, location, and something like "Chairman of such and such" or "Racist lorry driver".
Leo is that guy before ekhart

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

A Codex.

Alright, so, you might not have picked up on the issue here. But just in case anything was unclear:

I have absolutely no fucking clue who Ekhart is.

:argh:

Prime Junta

A Codex.

I actually jotted down notes about the people I met as I went along. Prolly my oldfaggotry showing, used to do that back in the day for some detective game whose name I don't even remember.

Egosphere

Arcane

A Codex.

Alright, so, you might not have picked up on the issue here. But just in case anything was unclear:

I think Easy Leo is the guy sitting on the shipping container just outside Evrart's place. Evrart is the union boss.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

A Codex.

I think Easy Leo is the guy sitting on the shipping container just outside Evrart's place. Evrart is the union boss.
Oh, right, yeah, thanks! I've only been there during the night, which is probably why I didn't connect it at all to the union boss, since he wasn't in at the time.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Ok. So. I just finished it and clocked 32 hours. I left a slight handful of things undone because I wanted to get to the end and start a new build up and have things to do the second time around that I didn't do the first time. If I had done those things I likely would have clocked 35 hours, maybe a little more. The devs should have claimed it a 40 hour game if they wanted to boast. There's not a goddamned person on this planet who's going to spend 90 hours on this, let alone "weeks" like I've seen them say in interviews.

All that said: I loved it and am already thinking of my next build. After a second time though, I'm not sure that I'll play the game again. So I'd also downplay "replayability" as a selling point. My other biggest gripe is map travel. If you're not going to let us fast travel, for christ SAKES let us at least move the edges of the map with our mouse. Map travel in this game is one of the most tedious slogs I've ever experienced.

Final thoughts: It's one of the most well-written cRPGs I've ever played, I feel like they accomplished their goal of creating a tabletop RPG experience, the mood brought about with its mix of humor and melancholy was fantastic, and maybe most importantly I never really knew what was coming next. A brilliant game, I hope they make more, cheers to Kasparov & Co.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

A Codex.

Game should also display NPCs' name above them when you hold tab and/or hover mouse at them, tie that ability to a skill, Encyclopedia maybe.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Wait Wait Devs actually want to make sequel with PREGNANT WOMAN as protagonist ? DID THEY GET DRUNK ON THEIR OWN VAPORS ? that is not something that is gonna work nor sell well.

Wait Wait Devs actually want to make sequel with PREGNANT WOMAN as protagonist ? DID THEY GET DRUNK ON THEIR OWN VAPORS ? that is not something that is gonna work nor sell well.

Wait Wait Owlcat actually wanted to make an OLD-SCHOOL RPG ? DID THEY GET DRUNK ON THEIR OWN VAPORS? that is not something that is gonna work nor sell well.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
The dev already gave you a linear 30 hour game tops when they promised 90 hours, what makes you think they won't go full blown into the drama novel crowd, which is women, and make a twilight video game novel, they already have the money to pay ign

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

I mean, in that same interview they say they’d have to give you a choice to play as a male protagonist, too, because anything else would be commercial suicide.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

I mean, in that same interview they say they’d have to give you a choice to play as a male protagonist, too, because anything else would be commercial suicide.

Male Pregnancy ? Thats not Vapors thats utter degeneracy. This isnt Disco Elyssium, This Is No Truce with the Furries.

(this is joke for dumbasses)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

I mean, it's not like Disco Elysium where you play a middle-aged late stage alcoholic who screwed his life in a drunken stupor is very mainstream either.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
It's been done before:

Though it's fair to assume it wasn't a commercial success. :M

I think we had around 350 000 installs, although its a free game, so that pretty much nullifies the data. :D That said, animating pregnant walk cycles is a boat load of fun, so in that sense it was worth it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom