Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did anybody else try to hand Klaasje over to the gay Moralintern bureaucrat?

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are 2 bullets,
And I missed both times.. The will of Al Gul cannot be challenged. :positive:

A couple last things, who is/how did you meet the character shown in 0:42 in this trailer? Also, I remember from an interview there was supposed to be a guy that extolled the virtues of glorious field artillery and went into detail about them, anyone saw something like that?
So, anyone knows?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Shaving should come with a permanent malus to intelligence, because only an absolute retard would chop those glorious chops off!
Does anyone even react to it? I made a save, shaved, went out of the cabin to see if Kim had any reaction towards me no longer looking disco as fuck, but he didn't even remark on it, so I reloaded the save. Does anyone ever comment on it or is it purely cosmetic?

I got a little dialog after shaving where Kim says something like it may have been a mistake. Maybe because of the Ace's Low thought?

Trying a nudist run and there's some dialog after meeting Kim along the lines that if he didn't mention your nakedness maybe no one else will object, but then after the autopsy Kim asks if I can put pants on now. I also like how he asks why you run everywhere. Because walking in this game is too fucking slow, Kim!

Having just finished, I must say that I really enjoyed everything and I have no problem with the ending. It may feel like it's linear, but the truth is that the whole game is "linear" in a similar fashion. The crime and the culprits will always be the same, the only thing that changes is how you arrive there. Which is perhaps the game biggest downside... it's kinda a one, maximum two-playthrough game. I played it normally now, might play superstar fucker-up losercop next time, but... it's a detective game and we all know the solution already.

Who the murderer is might be the most meaningless thing in the game, other than the political dialog choices.

The first time through it took me to day two to autopsy the body, I had to play ball with the union leader to get Measurehead to yank down the body, and by then Kim was complaining about wanting to go to bed so I left the body there until the next morning, then after the field autopsy had Kim cart it off right away. Next time I shot the body down my self, had the body tell me that communism and/or love killed him, discovered the bullet as the true cause of death, and put the body in a freezer so I could take his boots later. Some of it was metagaming, but mostly stat allocation. There's a lot more to see in the game if your perception is higher than 1. Shivers will give you lots of foreshadowing if it's high enough and you pay attention to it. Passing the Volition/Drama checks for Klaasje is hilarious.

But yes, too railroaded, no other way to find your gun, choice boils down to leave tasks undone or get played by Evrart.

The Pale is a biiiig huge fucking deal.

Lots of the info coming from a self-professed fellow crazy.

Theophrastus

Educated
what changes depending on whether or not you tell joyce about the takeover??
I'd like to know that too. Also, what was that she decided to do? Go look for other insulae? I found that part of the conversation hard to understand.

I told Joyce about the takeover on my second play-through. Might be different based on your dialogue choices etc, but for me she buckled and decided to give the harbour to Evrart. Sails away. You can then go see Evrart and he tells you how this was his plan all along, to string you along and semi-bluff (he hopes to avoid it but ultimately is prepared to make the sacrifices if he doesn't) about the war to scare Joyce off. He was banking on you telling her about the takeover, the drugs, everything.

Mortmal

Arcane
The Pale is a biiiig huge fucking deal. I think that's gonna be what the sequel is about, if they ever manage to scrape together the resources to make one.
i dont know how some rag tag team of detective gonna solve the embodiment of entropy whatever it is. Maybe if they introduce some super scientist, or messiahs like dolores in the next game or whatever.

And yeah, it is pretty obvious if you pay attention, how fucking expansive is the game's world.

The reality lowdown with joyce is the *ooh* moment of how serious the worldbuilding is. Everything i noticed after that is just affirmations, little dots forming, lines connecting in the fog of war. Tidbits of info. But from those tidbits, i can peek underneath, into the foundation. It is just immense. I dont have time nor will to properly study and piece all the new terms, slangs, all the isolas and govermental bodies, Culture, etc. but at least what sticks on me does made the impression of a massive thought put into it.

I definitely want to see more. A game, a book, whatever is the medium. I really do want more from these guys.

Same it was an extremely well constructed world with memorable characters and yes like jarlfrank says you even have feelings when playing it that's indeed extremely rare for a video game . I'd really like to get more too. Kasparov is there something more planned ? Since its the spoilery thread you may drop a few hints maybe...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How, even knowing he funded the church disco drug lab produced dialog amounting to little more than so what.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
How, even knowing he funded the church disco drug lab produced dialog amounting to little more than so what.

He’ll admit he’s funding his whole operations with drug money even if you never bring up Acele. The fuck are you gonna do about it?

Edit: dude, inspect the letter he gives you

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
which one of the 2?

the 042 character is one who you get your gun back from.

Oh, I never got it back, refused to work for Evrart. In the confrontation I used the one Ruby used to blow her brains out. :negative:
About the other question then, was excited to meet a fellow cannoneer, had high Encyclopedia as well, never found him.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron

He’ll admit he’s funding his whole operations with drug money even if you never bring up Acele. The fuck are you gonna do about it?

Edit: dude, inspect the letter he gives you

Having the winos make fake signatures isn't really playing him, the game even says something along the lines of who knows if that even matters I'm referring to after that when he claims to want a war, all you can do is tell Joyce or not. And if you tell her she'll give up the harbor.

vota DC

Augur
I am in the Island and talked with the sniper. Never seen a single half life check, I have 1 physique but High shivers because hobocop. Shivers Is mostly passive but there are some active check, zero for half light both passive and active.

If you have high Physique, you will get Half-Light checks. Pretty frequently even. Most of the active ones won't show up unless you pass a threshold check.

That is great, I raised to 4 (+1 points and +2 from items) with viquemare and I already getting a passive one of those....I expected even passive checks were like the one of Evrat office chair but they are truly hidden. After finish game I will try 5 psyche, 4 physique, 2 intellect (but tagged visual calculus and get jamais thought asap) and 1 motorics with lonesome way home + ma ma da qua for the perception....yellow stuff is quite good but a little boring (except the "teleport" before meeting Ruby).

Prime Junta

I don't know about their thinking process but it feels like the game is "intended" to be played with 1 mental and 1 physical stat. I.e. one of INT/PSY and one of FYS/MOT. With INT/PSY you're just completely lost in your own head most of the time, and with FYS/MOT you're basically a walking testicle, like IHaveHugeNick put it.

Efe

Erudite
could someone write down every mystery ingame in a clear and concise manner?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
One point that should be made regarding the rail-roading, it really only negatively effects your experience after the fact, when you discover there weren't a ton of different ways that you could have gone about solving the case. When I first ran into the tribunal after seeing Ruby, I was so bummed out and mad at myself for fucking around and waiting so long to get Ruby. I also never bothered trying to sail over to the island either, because I was doing side-quests and figured the murderer would be stuck in town anyway due to the closed highway and such. I see that some people had their immersion broken earlier than I did, and realized how railroaded things are before the game ended, but if you don't, you're left with an amazing experience. Learning about how none of it mattered as much as I thought it did didn't really ruin or sour the enjoyment I had with the game, so I'm honestly not even mad at the developers.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Later you understand that people are just people; but Harry is a man unloved. And unloved man just clings on the past to drag himself through life.
Or drinking.

He's clinging to the booze and memories because that's all he has in this damn world.

Most relateable computer game protagonist ever written.

( :negative: )

6Z20Nkn.jpg

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Having the winos make fake signatures isn't really playing him, the game even says something along the lines of who knows if that even matters I'm referring to after that when he claims to want a war, all you can do is tell Joyce or not. And if you tell her she'll give up the harbor.

If you don’t tell her, she flees right before the tribunal, although you don’t know whether or not she’s decided to come back with an army. But why should you be able to decide the fate of Martinaise? Harrier du Bois can’t even command his own task force.

You’re one man in the middle of a small war. Evrart’s got more than two thousand men who are willing to fight; even before the strike they already had de facto control over the neighborhood. (Re)Joyce is on the board of one of the world’s largest companies. The only way Wild Pines gets the harbor back is by sending in a platoon of heavily armed mercenaries; given how things worked out the last time she sent in some private military contractors, that’s going to be a PR disaster. Evrart’s already won by the time you show up. Joyce knows it—even if you tell her to attack or to assassinate Evrart, she realizes it’s not gonna solve anything.

You’re playing as a broken man in a broken world, limiting the fallout from this shit is the best you can do.

vota DC

Augur
I finished the game, they said six days but they are just 4 and I lost 2 because the sound.
Funny Kim saying I am fascist but also a commie but also a rockstar but also a great detective, he complains even of you are too centrist? He also said I never drink, I drink on day 1 for getting near the hanged man and for taking down bookshop door but I didn't after and I have both Measurehead thoughts equipped.

Nobody tried a detective that doesn't solve anything with low stats?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One thing about the ending.

My first impression about the writing of the game was that the writers are assholes.

Look at this pattern:

-Your obsession to complete your power armour set goes unrewarded, 'cuz the part you most needed to get armoured does not exist.
-The giant bunker door hiding *something* behind an impossible interfacing check.
-The fact that even when you think you managed to pull a fast one on Everat and achieve some kind of a secret optimal outcome, it turns out he was two steps ahead you (and two months ahead Joyce).
-The figurines don't do a thing in the end.

So looking at that, the ending is just another exhibit in a long series of acts of assholery.

Hell, they even pull the rug from under you after the ending interrogation - it was the phasmid all along. Every time you think that Big Dick Cop McMullen did good good they come and fist fuck you up the ass. Just because.

Running out of money to realize their insane ambitions might have been one thing, but the ending is still consistent with their established M.O.

Of being assholes.

Fuck those guys.

Plz make another game

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Is there any reason to doubt that the devs will be making another game? How much money did they kickstart? Are there finances really in such a dire state? Anyone have some more info on this?

Prime Junta

Is there any reason to doubt that the devs will be making another game? How much money did they kickstart? Are there finances really in such a dire state? Anyone have some more info on this?

They didn't Kickstart, the money is all their own and from third-party investors. Making this game a reality was a humongous effort, not least to make the money side of it happen. If it's not a huge commercial success, there absolutely is no guarantee of a sequel. So do your patriotic/communist/centrist/liberal duty and get your friends, and your friends of your friends, and their friends, to buy, buy, buy.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
They didn't Kickstart, the money is all their own and from third-party investors. Making this game a reality was a humongous effort, not least to make the money side of it happen. If it's not a huge commercial success, there absolutely is no guarantee of a sequel. So do your patriotic/communist/centrist/liberal duty and get your friends, and your friends of your friends, and their friends, to buy, buy, buy.
Sadly, all my friends are either girls that don't play games, or "normie" guys who only care about hosting parties, fucking bitches, and playing sports. Regardless, how much did the overall game cost to produce?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom