Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Would you want Tactics to be canon?

Would you want Tactics to be canon?

• Total voters

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah that was done pretty well. In a way, I feel it shows why the Brotherhood has their strict code and what happens when they start shedding it, first ideologically and then out of desperation during the war. Its pretty clear at the end of the game that even as the Brotherhood is winning the war, its becoming more and more of a brutal dictatorship. Dudes had Internment Camps and Inquisitors by the end. They won a war and saved humanity, but were clearly on the way to become techno-fascists.

Can't see why its so bad to be honest Comrade the nature and politics both abhor the vacuum and hence someone else would conquer and unite those tribes and villages (great for surviving apocalypse and epoch after) sooner or later Commissar prefers the :obviously: Techno-Knights over the (((NCR))) or [[[Caesar Legion]]] Comrade. Agree on weapons the divergence came in 1950s so weapons like AK-47, M-14 and M113 might stay but M-16 and Hammers really looked out of place they should also use M-47/48s as tanks instead of Shermans too Comrade, It was missing opportunity Wasteland 2 not only because they used Unity as engine but also cause its not grim dark as it should be, it was still good game which I actually completed but the ATOM RPG was more true to Original Spirit.

Can't see why its so bad to be honest Comrade the nature and politics both abhor the vacuum and hence someone else would conquer and unite those tribes and villages (great for surviving apocalypse and epoch after) sooner or later Commissar prefers the :obviously: Techno-Knights over the (((NCR))) or [[[Caesar Legion]]] Comrade.

That is true, if the BOS didn't land in Chicago, we would probably see the Super Mutant-Reaver alliance* taking over the region and rallying/conscripting everyone else to beat the Calculator.

Still, its always the same old song: "What good is it to gain the world, and lose your soul?" The Midwestern Brotherhood won the war, but lost their soul. In the cancelled sequel, they were going to be depicted as pretty much a fascist regime, far from being a Brotherhood. The Brotherhood is not perfect and stagnated, but overall they were a pretty nice and idealistic group in the original. Very cohesive, honorable and pretty understandable, being interested in overseeing the preservation of knowledge, rather than merely going after power.

*some people never noticed, but the Super Mutants and Reavers were allied in FOT. Its possible to find joint patrols between the two groups. Which makes sense, after all, they were both fighting robots.

, It was missing opportunity Wasteland 2 not only because they used Unity as engine but also cause its not grim dark as it should be, it was still good game which I actually completed but the ATOM RPG was more true to Original Spirit.

I have not played ATOM so far. How it compares?

Lurker47

Savant
Canon story issues like "BOS came from Military Vault",
I thought of a way to consolidate this by saying that all of the BoS originated have some loose connections to bitter government bureaucrats. I mean, pre-war U.S was essentially corporatist anyway. I know it's kind of cringy to have story ideas for a series like Fallout but I think it would have been an interesting idea. Especially with how quickly and effectively they organized and their later relationship with the Enclave.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
tictac01.png

Would you want Tactics to be canon fodder ?

Cael

Arcane
All Tactics needs is a bit of dusting and re-arranging here and there, and it can fit easily within Fallout canon. Lemme remember the issues:

- Canon story issues like "BOS came from Military Vault", "The Master messed with Deathclaws"*, Vault 0 and its not fitting within the Vault experiment, they can easily be dealt with.
- The Aesthetics are not retro enough, not gonna lie.
- All the real-world guns need to go and get name/appearance changes. Its bizarre that a game in the post-apoc future is littered with WWI, WWII and Cold War era weaponry, most of which should't even have existed post-divergence, anyway. I would keep only a few - the M2 Browning, the AK47, the Pancor Jackhammer**, maybe the M1 Garand. Anything else, give it slight art-lifts and a new name.
- Change the Hummer and APC to more Fallout aesthetics and names as well.
- The whole storyline works in the Fallout world. All the groups and factions (Midwestern BOS, Beastlords, Reavers, Gammorin's Army) make sense and work in the Fallout universe.

*this is actually their original origin, but it got changed later on. I think the Fallout walkthrough (written by one of the designers) references it, which is how it got in FOT.
**Because its too damn cool not to and FO universe seems like the universe where the Pancor Jackhammer would get the green light. Desert Eagle is a 70s gun and it still exists despite the divergence.

BoS turning onto Feudal society of powered plate donning Neo Conquistadors leading the army of conscripted peasants

Yeah that was done pretty well. In a way, I feel it shows why the Brotherhood has their strict code and what happens when they start shedding it, first ideologically and then out of desperation during the war. Its pretty clear at the end of the game that even as the Brotherhood is winning the war, its becoming more and more of a brutal dictatorship. Dudes had Internment Camps and Inquisitors by the end. They won a war and saved humanity, but were clearly on the way to become techno-fascists.
They had the FN FAL in FO2. They also had the Mauser, the .44 Magnum, the Desert Eagle, the Tommy Gun, M3A1 Grease Gun, LSW, CAWS, M60... There were a lot of WWI-Cold War guns in Fallout.

As for the other, they were beaten to a shadow of their former selves after the battle at Vault 0. Remember that even as you charged into the vault, the main Brotherhood base was being annihilated by the robots. By the end of the war, unless you took the sacrifice route and were Good aligned (i.e., high karma), the MidWest Brotherhood is basically gone.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
In an alternate universe, Fallout somehow lands in the hands of people who legitimately care about world-building. Would you want Tactics (I'd say most people share the same opinions on the status of 2, BoS, 3, NV, and 4 unless you're an absolute purist) to be considered a part of the main game continuity?

Very specific topic but I want to get a broad consensus.
More canon than Fallout 3/4, that's for fucking sure.

Uncreation

Savant
I really liked Tactics, even though it had its problems. I always had the impression that the main reason people hated it was because they wanted Fallout 3 and this wasn't it. So yeah, i would be ok with it becoming canon with some small changes. Like others have said, i liked some of the factions present like the mutant army and especially the Beastmasters. In a way it's almost strange that Fallout 1 or 2 didn't have them. They seem like a good logical fit for the setting. There was this one faction that worshiped technology or something like that which i didn't particularly like, but overall the setting, characters, factions were good.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 1: purist canon
Fallout 2 + New Vegas: post-Cain-Boyarsky-Anderson canon
Fallout 3 and 4: Bethesda fanfiction
Tactics and BoS: Herve Caen fanfiction

ciox

Liturgist
Fallout Tactics was cool and knew its place as a spin-off. I think it should just have its own universe where it does its own thing, you're not going to retcon the retail Tactics and its quirks out of existence, it just is.

I would like to see topdown Fallout Tactics 2 even now, let alone back in 2002-2003 when it was supposed to come out. https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2

buffalo bill

Arcane
Anyone who cares about what is "canon" in the Fallout universe post-Fallout 1 (or maybe 2) is an idiot.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
After reading how many people has stupid and fanatical agenda that Fallout 2 worse than 1, now I understand why we ended up with Shitout76.
I think people who was shitting on Fallout 2 during release partially responsible for BoS and Bethesda's Shitout's 3,4, 76 and now they continue beating dead horse, to distract themselves from their faults.

Mark Richard

Arcane
When taken as a cohesive narrative arc, The Brotherhood's evolution (or more specifically lack of evolution) between Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas, points to their demise as an organisation. And that's great. Poetic even. The road to advancement should be paved with the bodies of failed ideologies. Fallout: Tactics throws a wrench in that (though one could argue this new brotherhood is virtually unrecognisable from the old). For me making Tactics canon would probably elicit a similar reaction to the Bethesda games - that the only reason the Brotherhood is still a prominent force in the wastes is because they're popular, rather than of any benefit to the story. Gotta' maintain those merchandising rights. Nothing popular is allowed to end.

Uncreation

Savant
I actually the Reaver Movement, they were pretty much the logical absurd end-point of the Brotherhood: Technology Worship.

Oh, i had forgotten what they were called. The things is, for me it was a bit too absurd, that's why i didn't like them as much. For example, while i couldn't remember their name, i can still remember how they rambled about satansoft and other nonsense. :lol:

Cael

Arcane
I actually the Reaver Movement, they were pretty much the logical absurd end-point of the Brotherhood: Technology Worship.

Oh, i had forgotten what they were called. The things is, for me it was a bit too absurd, that's why i didn't like them as much. For example, while i couldn't remember their name, i can still remember how they rambled about satansoft and other nonsense. :lol:
They aren't exactly wrong, although I don't consider Sony a saint...

Nietsche

Novice
It depends on many factors - whose hands Fallout Tactics would fall into. If it is in Bethesda's hands, let it remain as it is. If Black Isle studio were to take care of Fallout - the more productions, the better! I love lore of Fallout, I played ALL parts and unofficial additions, but what Bethesda did with Fallout 3, Fallout 4 (NV was great and was from Obsidian) and Fallout 76 is sad Now I'm playing Fallout 76 a lot, this is my custom game which I have a good fun (I play online with friends in apalachia) - I'm buyying FO76 items (Fallout 76 items) - but only trusted and I don't but glitched items - only trusted items. So if u need to buy Fallout 76 items, just visit here https://odealo.com/games/fallout-76/items

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom