Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur’s Gate 2 is not for me...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Pale imitation of Fallout and Ja2 is not the damnation you think it was. It's not even false praise. It actually make me a little curious to try it.

A little.

In that case, you might like to try out other games that came out 20 years after the greats, but failed to match them, such as Poncefinder: Cuckmaker.

Desolate Dancer

Educated
There were only a few things that I remember not being fond of when I first played BG2. First was the paper dolls and models of the armor & shields.
Most of the sprites and paperdolls are better in BG2 than in BG, though I agree on the armor & shield part. And I would also add how horrid the new 'black aura' look is with the EE versions.

I didn't like the new portraits. They went from painting to comic book tier.
Agreed, the BG ones were better but BG2 style wasn't that horrid either i.e. still one of the best among other rpgs e.g. NWN etc...

Having to chose a specific weapon type rather than a group of them was extremely annoying.
That was kind of a necessity. Perhaps the idea behind the change was that classes like fighter will go up to level 40, so they must have thought it's a bad idea to allow them to ***** all broad weapon categories. So instead they introduced smaller groups which allowed greater differentiation between classes, especially fighters. I would say it was fine, apart from minor discrepancies like the Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-to category which was really strange... they should have called them Exotic like in NWN or they should have made them separate like: Dagger/Ninja-to & Short Sword/Wakizashi etc...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Please note that it's only 50% complete (25,000 words) and is currently undergoing revision and expansion. However, it branches out into separate write-ups focused on reactivity, user interface, pro-tips and the expansion (TotSC), so I've probably written about 100,000 words on BG1.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
BG2 is probably the best RPG that I know of —after Planescape.

I rank the Infinity Engine games like so:

Infinity%2BEngine%2Branking.png

And here is my top 10:

BG2 isn't even in my top 10 because Shadows of Amn is a complete mess. Throne of Bhaal didn't conclude the Bhaalspawn Saga well because SoA wasted too much time with Irenicus. I rank PS:T about 15th.

Your charts look terrible

Glop_dweller

Prophet
My issue with IWD series was the simplistic NPC combat AI. You could have a veritable maze of a map, and have an invisible PC walking in one corner of it, but as soon as they were seen (and then lost again), the entire mob would 'conga-line' the shortest path through the maze to your spell casters... even if hidden all the way on the other side of the map, far out of view.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My initial impression was that the good points of BG1 (that had been removed from BG2)...
What were some of those?

Lilura has illustrated it all comprehensively. Doing the same requires too much effort. I'd say the broad strokes are that Lucas Kistjiansen is a better writer than David Gaider (although I appreciate David Gaider's sense of humor) and that can go a long way. But Lucas Kristjiansen built the FR better. He got the tone right, and injected the politics of the world into the firstgame while still making room for the player's story. The second game was more "touchy-feely" and with barely any political world building to speak of.

It's a bit like when Jordan Peterson says men are interested in things and women are interested in people. So BG1 was things and BG2 was people.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I can see that. I tend to consider [often only] the mechanical side of games when judging their quality.

Falksi

Arcane
Please note that it's only 50% complete (25,000 words) and is currently undergoing revision and expansion. However, it branches out into separate write-ups focused on reactivity, user interface, pro-tips and the expansion (TotSC), so I've probably written about 100,000 words on BG1.

Can you summarize all that in a Haiku please?

moleman

Arbiter
Patron

Can you summarize all that in a Haiku please?

"My blog is dogshit
But I need much attention
Oh, total decline
"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom