Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

vota DC

Augur
Guess I am ready to form my opinion on the game. Completed it couple of days ago, playtime is 30 hours.

Since I am too lazy to separate spoilery parts from non-spoilery I am posting this small wall of text here.

First impression was a mind blowing. Days 1-2 give an unparalleled freedom in roleplay, tasks and approaches to solving them. Only hitch is that everything happens on the same, pretty cramped map. World-opening at the day 3 was a welcome relief from a growing claustrophobia. Day 3 was also a time when disappointment started to crawl in. Due to RP choices, my own incompetence or a bug (?) I ended up with situation, where all my options to find Ruby were reduced to scamming Shivers check on the wall to progress the main plot. Felt really weird and flow-breaking. Linear Tribunal and gated island access right after had not improved situation. But I rather liked the final and glad that ZA/UM avoided dragging out a plot for a playtime sake.

Any letdowns in the story are easily covered by characters. Cast hits a perfect note in relatable/wacky balance. It is so easy to care about them or be proud of the hard-won friendships. I also loved a little things like catching Kuno when he stops talking about himself third-person or figuring out that Measurehead was born in Revachol and has no idea of the race he is "perfect embodiment of".

Lore is a bit of mixed bug. For me it shined the most at the explanation about Pale and isolas and revelation that the world is almost eaten by Entropy at this point and nobody cares hit me harder than anything in recent fiction. So well timed story-wise, when you had a chance to grew attached to the people around. Apocalyptic cop was suddenly right all along.

But in some parts (I blame high Encyclopedia) game was drowning me with unnecessary details about geography and politics. Quite annoying cause the most names in the setting has almost supra-natural ability to slip from my memory without a trace. Politics were often extra bad since a bit later in game it condensed into four mandatory retarded answers in random dialogues. No wonder that I ended up being centrist for using "let just skip this" option.

I also really liked how game accommodates every "type" of Harry - he is gym coach (phys builds) turned into can-opener police officer (int variance) with "make world better" idea, and later adopts drunken-menace-superstar act (psyche for art-cop) trying, and failing, to cope with heartbreak and burnout. He also has ridiculous amount of flair that makes him feel much more as his own person than a player's avatar. And so damn sad that I just don't have it in me to explore the path where he hits a rock bottom with drugs and alcohol and gets kicked out of force. I am not this cruel.

All in all, it is so nice to have a game that tries to do something new with a story, lore and characters. Influences are easy to see but defining Disco Elysium as "P:T spiritual successor" is almost offensive. There are so much more.

Canon Harry before losing memory seems to have dumped psyche: zero volition, empathy and esprit de corps. Very high physique and quite high motorics and intellect since he solved so many cases. He is cop of apocalypse that would explain volition but high inland empire.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
One thing about the ending.

My first impression about the writing of the game was that the writers are assholes.

Look at this pattern:

-Your obsession to complete your power armour set goes unrewarded, 'cuz the part you most needed to get armoured does not exist.
-The giant bunker door hiding *something* behind an impossible interfacing check.
-The fact that even when you think you managed to pull a fast one on Everat and achieve some kind of a secret optimal outcome, it turns out he was two steps ahead you (and two months ahead Joyce).
-The figurines don't do a thing in the end.

So looking at that, the ending is just another exhibit in a long series of acts of assholery.

Hell, they even pull the rug from under you after the ending interrogation - it was the phasmid all along. Every time you think that Big Dick Cop McMullen did good good they come and fist fuck you up the ass. Just because.

Running out of money to realize their insane ambitions might have been one thing, but the ending is still consistent with their established M.O.

Of being assholes.

Fuck those guys.

Plz make another game

Honestly this pisses me soo much, it genuinely feels like fucking Moria, devs got good idea and the dug too deep and went full Ryan Johnson.

Insert Title Here
No idea if this has been discussed already, but what's the possible minimum casualty amount for the tribunal? All three of the mercs and several of the Hardy boys (fat guy, older black guy and the long-haired blonde guy) died during my playthrough. Not sure if the lawyer lady survived but I did not see her after the shootout. Kim said that it could have gone a bit better.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No idea if this has been discussed already, but what's the possible minimum casualty amount for the tribunal? All three of the mercs and several of the Hardy boys (fat guy, older black guy and the long-haired blonde guy) died during my playthrough. Not sure if the lawyer lady survived but I did not see her after the shootout. Kim said that it could have gone a bit better.

Six.

tripedal

Savant
While I was initially disappointed by the ending, the more I think about it the better I think it is. The parallel between Harry having to personally let go of the apricot-scented one, and society having to let go of its tempestuous past, combined with the ray of hope in the sublime phasmid encounter...it all fits together perfectly on a thematic level, even if the identity of the killer comes out of nowhere.

Starwars

Arcane
Which character did you guys like the most?

I found Klaasje to be really well written. The way she lies, appears vulnerable. Manipulative. The little "love story"/partying with the merc. The type of personality people would get hopelessly lost in. They nailed it. On the first playthrough, I think that whole part of the game was when I was the most invested in the game, dealing with her character and trying to unravel the mystery. Extremely well written, just top tier.

For smaller characters, I think Measurehead was pretty memorable. Completely fucking bizarre yet instantly recognizeable character type. And Cuno was a brilliant annoying little asshole.

Yeah, the characters in the game are just really well done.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kim, hands down. Best bro ever, perfect foil for your wreck of a character. Someone put it well when they said that DE reverses the usual RPG roles: Kim is your typical protagonist, and you're the rambling, unpredictable comic relief sidekick, complete with tragic backstory.

None

Scholar

Avatar related. Not because of any ideological reasons. I don't admire the character in any way but there is a connection at the emotional level. He seemed like this forlorn soul who existed alone in a world that is completely foreign and indifferent to him, a feeling I think many of us have had before. Plus it is refreshing to see an actual committed commie instead of the "its not a phase mom!" type.

None

Scholar
And because everyone else is doing it I guess I'll also do a short write up of my experience with the game.

I blazed through it in about 19 hours over 3 days. I work from home am not very busy atm so it was easy to do. I played 1/2/5/4 (inadvertently the same as the premade physical build). Facist-hobo-Judge-normal cop who more or less played it straight and abused every possible substance available. Skipped some areas due to RP reasons like the cursed district and so I have some new content to go through in another playthrough.

Up front I thought resource management needs some tuning. Money was an issue the first day but after that I had enough réal, drugs, and healing chems that I never had to worry about them. I expected more C&C for the ending/tribunal but wasn't completely let down. A better resource management system would help this feel more like a game instead of a CYOA.

But I still enjoyed everything thoroughly. We really need another game from ZA/UM after this. This was far too unique to become a one-off cult classic.

The only thing I'm wondering is if we're all missing something. Maybe this is from me just getting done with Underrail but I seriously wonder if there are some extremely hidden paths/outcomes that have yet to be uncovered.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am at the end of my Blue/Yellow/Shivers 2d playthrough and I'm afraid I have to make 3 bad conclusions

- Game is railroaded and even somewhat foolproof; not sure why is there even the clock tbh.

- It is totally about completionist runs, don't be afraid to take any quests it throws at you, ignore hints about people "taking control over you" and stuff, it will all work out in the end - more quests leads to better results and more content, no matter how sleazy characters look etc.

- Turning down quests or arresting people generally cuts on good content and doesn't do anything good; arresting disco kids cuts content, arresting blonde doesn't do anything she's good gal and even leaves a hint for you, etc.

Also somewhere around starting ruby chasing or trying to get bro with boyz is where game just drops the ball

So 2d playthrough makes some things stand out even sharper (Pale stuff) but others (redhead chase etc.) fell even harder for me.

Also with some yellow checks, mainly grabbing flowers and inspecting them, the murder case becomes even more tangent if it was even possible since it just blatantly states some old dude did dis right before you actually talk to blonde about the case lol.

Although after collecting 100% info and all skill checks during dialogue with him I began liking Deserter a bit more. (I got like 5 levels by talking to him and leveled up skills as dialogue went lol)
on the other hand the more I learned of his ugly human nature the more I wished he would be in the game from the start.

Last edited:
I was hoping Harry's past would be a bit more cosmic than this.

One idea I had was that the Pale, prolly via the hole in the church, conflated his memories with memories of the man who killed Dolores Dei all those centuries ago. It would even provide a solid metaphor for games like this or Torment where you're constantly chastised for mistakes you as a player are not responsible for since they happened before you gained control over the protagonist.

Instead, he simply loved an unworthy woman a bit too much and idealized her to the point she became his Dolores Dei, the setting's greatest human who ever lived, which is nice and does send a certain message but is also a bit underwhelming compared to my expectations.

I didn't mind the Deserter. They spent the whole game mocking everyone, they might as well end it by mocking themselves. They are communists in a world where communism has been seen as a lost cause for decades and he's a communist fighting a war that has been lost for decades. They made the game and he made the plot. Fits like a glove.

By the way, Iosef Dros sounds a lot like Josip Broz. Could be a coincidence.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pale did affect Harry somehow, as seems from Motorway South thought and whole ministory around this. Or maybe it all was connected and built up on top of each other.

vota DC

Augur
arresting disco kids cuts content,

Oooops. Lol I was in hurry when I did that.
I noticed that you don't have tribunal on day 3 if you.....just read the ledger without even inspect corpse or interrogate anyone.
If you delay Ruby you have more day games? Delay island wasn't a real option in my case: for some reason after tribunal I wake up at 2 am so the few tasks I had required me to be in daytime but I got daytime only after I went in the island....maybe a bug.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The only thing I'm wondering is if we're all missing something
I think the closest things to secret are whole pale/entropy thing, for which you need to, aside from computah game, talk to boat lady, manifest the thought, pass blue check, then talk to truck driver, learn her experiences, and also finish the club, find out about the 2 mm hole and finally pass blue check again.

fitting if you pick Apocalypse cop thought as well. that's what I think is 'sorta' hidden storyline.

there is also gigantic pile of information by passing blue checks in church about lady of pain, her story and death and unnatural nature.

I think all this + main character stuff is best part.
well +commonfolk , some of them are also best part.

the politics and conflict and crimes and who killed who and when I am afraid I almost felt as filler during 2d playthrough. although I guess without some mundane things, the not mundane things wouldn't stand out. (numanuma mistake)

I am not sure what must I feel and how much I should care about some mercs and workers when other NPC tells me we live in a sea of entropy on a disc on jagged crown of matter and we travel by means of torpedoing fucking zeppelins into the WARP and hoping they come out from other side and WARP gets bigger. sorry.
let kim end the case and just load me, crate of wine into zeppelin and throw into the warp; I wanna see.

I was hoping Harry's past would be a bit more cosmic than this.

One idea I had was that the Pale, prolly via the hole in the church, conflated his memories with memories of the man who killed Dolores Dei all those centuries ago. It would even provide a solid metaphor for games like this or Torment
Hard disagree, it would be banal. The somewhat mundane nature of his state is good. Man was in so much pain his soul literally forgot itself.
+ there's already people affected by THE WARP and if you want you can assume or think up less mundane version of events yourself since Harry lives in this world and who knows what truly happened.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I thought they were going to tell us something like "Those 3 kills on your record were accidental. You shot some kids and it fucked you up. That's why you tried to kill yourself with drugs and got rid of your car, badge, and gun when you arrived in Martinaise."

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
iWOArt0.jpg

From the complaints about the true killer supposedly arriving in the game's narrative from nowhere, it seems to me that some people either missed clues or failed to understand them. :M In my playthrough as a high psyche s★u★p★e★r★s★t★a★r cop, the corpse told me on Day 1 that he was killed by communism (and by love), which was a running thread thereafter, and an analysis of the crime scene made it obvious that the killer was a sniper firing from a considerable distance. The game does arbitrarily bar you from traveling to the island until after the "tribunal" (and your recovery from having been shot), but once there I found the answer I had been waiting for.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm leaving a small note here for a future point when I've found the answer:

I don't think that drug trafficker woman murdered the merc. If the possibility for a sniper shot is real, then it could have been only the other two mercs, because one of them must have been reporting information on the wind to the other. Otherwise a shot through the man's mouth with a 4.5 mm bullet from ~700 m would becomes from nigh impossible a complete impossibility. If the whole sniper shot is a red herring on the other hand, this still doesn't necessarily point to the drug trafficker.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From the complaints about the true killer supposedly arriving in the game's narrative from nowhere, it seems to me that some people either missed clues or failed to understand them. :M In my playthrough as a high psyche s★u★p★e★r★s★t★a★r cop, the corpse told me on Day 1 that he was killed by communism (and by love), which was a running thread thereafter, and an analysis of the crime scene made it obvious that the killer was a sniper firing from a considerable distance. The game does arbitrarily bar you from traveling to the island until after the "tribunal" (and your recovery from having been shot), but once there I found the answer I had been waiting for.
While true, don't forget that the game teases the player endlessly. Game laughs at you when you run, as typical cRPG protagonists do (‘cause walkin’ is always slow). Game laughs at you when you expect grand rewards from quests, as cRPG protagonists do. Game laughs at you when you ask ‘round ‘bout obvious stuff, as cRPG protagonists do. ‘Cause of many more things Disco Elysium makes fun at you, but most important here is the case of supernatural in the setting. You really need to look ‘round and pass some hard (theoretically) checks to get to the supernatural, and in most cases it’s a bogus, just like 99% of phasmids are. In short, game teaches you to doubt your senses and your experience, and certainly to doubt your “inner” feelings and these parts of Harry which have some “connections” with supernatural (‘cause you can’t tell me that Inland Empire, Shivers and some other skills don’t point at his strange abilities, his “talk” with dead merc basically tells you what really kills him, it’s not just an intuition at this point). If you just bought that when you saw that while ignoring all the not-very-subtle messages game makes then, well...

That in the end phasmid was real and killer was communism, it was a nice subversion, not a realisation of what was explicitly stated before.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom