Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Souls vs Dark Souls

Really? I completed it at the weekend. I didn't have any significant issues.
Interesting. I get save corruption at Boletaria castle when i die to a specific enemy and i though it could happen somewhere else. Also i did notice missing geometry at a few points. You are saying you fully beat the game start to finish on the emulated version?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting. I get save corruption at Boletaria castle when i die to a specific enemy and i though it could happen somewhere else. Also i did notice missing geometry at a few points. You are saying you fully beat the game start to finish on the emulated version?

Yeah. I had save corruption once very early when the emulator crashed, but that's because I forgot to add the config to cut down on logging as was suggested on the game's compatibility page.

Other than that, no obvious issues.

Yeah. I had save corruption once very early when the emulator crashed, but that's because I forgot to add the config to cut down on logging as was suggested on the game's compatibility page.

You are talking about Log: {sceNp: Fatal} in the game's custom config right? I do have that implemented but i still get unavoidable crashes when i get killed by a specific enemy. I'm not sure if it's always the same enemy or that specific enemy type.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

You are talking about Log: {sceNp: Fatal} in the game's custom config right? I do have that implemented but i still get unavoidable crashes when i get killed by a specific enemy. I'm not sure if it's always the same enemy or that specific enemy type.

Yeah the Log setting. I had no issues after setting that.

Only graphical issue I had was very occasional pop-in, but that was mostly when loading new areas.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I prefer Dark Souls, the interconnected world exploration left me impressed the first time. Demon's Souls is amazing too, and it's the original, a great accomplishment in gaming history.

Despite being good games DS2 and DS3 seem less inspired and focus on keep challenge for veteran players. They are fun but have not so much soul.

Bloodbourne is almost on par with DS1 and DeS. The different setting, combat pace and new mechanics gave fresh air to their games. Also I'm a big defender of Chalice dungeons. They lacked polish being the first iteration having repetitive layouts and clear lack of loot, but:

- Each type was fun first time, almost like playing another level
- Had new bosses and enemies
- Challenge in later ones
- I think they are a perfect setup for multiplayer souls action. I usually prefer to beat campaign without summons or invaders, but I can see the appeal of playing souls with bros.

I hope they bring them back with some bullshit difficulty to enjoy beating in coordination with friends. Not being the main game they can do some experimental things. Also reinforce PVP in them with invaders activatings traps.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
In the last 10 years Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 are the best games From has made.
I would say DeS is better than DS2 because it's quality is consistent throughout the whole, but when DS2 is being good than it's being really damn fucking good.
Dark Souls 1 obiously great and the 3rd best one. But unlike DeS it isn't as bold in it's unconventional desicions and doesn't have the same mystique. And unlike DS2 it's gameplay isn't as polished and improved, nor does it have moments and levels as great and fun as DS2.

DkS has high fantasy and goofy shit in there that doesn't appeal to me.

DeS is high fantasy as well, also what goofy shit?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
DeS is pretty much medieval gothic, you can ever hear it in the OST

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In the last 10 years Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 are the best games From has made.
I would say DeS is better than DS2 because it's quality is consistent throughout the whole, but when DS2 is being good than it's being really damn fucking good.
Dark Souls 1 obiously great and the 3rd best one. But unlike DeS it isn't as bold in it's unconventional desicions and doesn't have the same mystique. And unlike DS2 it's gameplay isn't as polished and improved, nor does it have moments and levels as great and fun as DS2.

DS2 does most things better than DS1 but I still prefer the original Dark Souls for the vibe and the world. While individual levels are great in DS2 and, more importantly, the quality is way more consistent, the world in DS2 fucking sucks. It's linear and often doesn't make a shred of sense. The overall world in DS1 is amazing. Also DS1 is way bolder and has more mystique than DeS in my book, when it comes to the world and narrative.

DeS is an utterly groundbreaking game and I love a lot about it - the individual levels are still the best of all Souls-likes, boss fights are diverse and fun (not the constant Artorias-archetype spam like in later games), music is still the best and it's full of little secrets and quirks. But DS1 and especially DS2 are so much ahead in terms of QoL improvements, UI, itemization, build variety, PvP, general balance, stuff like covenants, respec, power wielding, estus instead of herbs and other features.

So it's like this. The one Souls-like that should be in the Hall of Fame is Demon's Souls. The one that's closest to my heart is DS1. The one that's objectively the best is DS2 SotFS.

cruel

Cipher
The one that's objectively the best is DS2 SotFS.

Are you serious writing this? If yes, why?

I played through DS2 DLC once, and never intend to do it again. After all the praise I heard on Codex, I was expecting so much - but the one thing I remember the most about them is single word: annoying. The only part I liked was probably Crown of the Sunken King (level design, atmosphere). What's so great about other ones? All of them are filled with same enemies, big knights in armor. Crown of the Iron King is plain annoying, with those resurrecting enemies, rooms filled with horde of same enemies, atmosphere is not that great. Path to Blue Smelter is a total joke, same for Sir Alonne. Similar impressions for Ivory King DLC - there is no single thing that I can remember standing out or being amazing about it. Comparing all of this with a masterpiece like original Dark Souls doesn't even look like a fair comparison. What am I missing here?

Hyperion

Arcane
atmosphere is not that great
2638590-acrevdark_souls_ii_gamespot_103-1024x576.jpg

2638592-acrevdark_souls_ii_gamespot_123.jpg

Path to Blue Smelter is a total joke, same for Sir Alonne. Similar impressions for Ivory King DLC - there is no single thing that I can remember standing out or being amazing about it. Comparing all of this with a masterpiece like original Dark Souls doesn't even look like a fair comparison.
This sounds like the extended version of "DS2 bad, DS1 good" that gets repeated around here a little too much. It's not really providing any substantial reasoning as to why you feel this way.

Similar impressions for Ivory King DLC - there is no single thing that I can remember standing out or being amazing about it.
Rape horse rage? Final boss fight? The level becoming entirely traversable after clearing out the ice? Hidden / obscured ladders during the snowstorm on watch towers that reward astute observation?

And the best enemy in the entire series in both Old Iron and Ivory King DLCs.

Maldron_Front.jpg

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I LOVED DS1 AND DS2 AND DEMONL SOULS

THEY ARE ALL MANY GOOD AND PLAY THEM ALL

DS3 WAS FUN AND ALL BUT NEVER LIKED IT AS MUCH AS THE OTHDTZ

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom