Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

hexer

NWN 1 is literally the worst RPG ever made.

NWN 1 toolset was great, OC not so much.
Using the NWN1 toolset is like trying to make a clay pot out of shit and everything ever enjoyed in that godawful engine was no better than a bunch of CYOAs with shitty combat thrown in.

Speaking from your own experience?
I became a programmer because of NWN, started my own company as a 21 year old kid and finally landed a job at a bank.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's nothing "cerebral" about single player RTwP D&D designed to be so motherfucking slow that trash mobs (which is all the OC's encounters consist of) take minutes to wade through, and there is zero C&C in the story which is as boring and formulaic as it gets (RETRIEVE THE 4 THINGS, NOW GO AND RETRIEVE MORE THINGS!!), you can literally autopilot your way through NWN 1's OC and fall asleep halfway through. It's the most boring RPG ever made.

NWN 2 at least has full party control, therefore its user modules are better by default as you can actually have engaging and fun combat. I played hundreds of RPGs in my life, but none has such boring and bland combat as NWN1.

I can understand the argument for "streamlining" in RPGs the combat being too slow/difficult to comprehend. However once you get past the learning curve NWN is a rewarding RPG to play. If you prefer something more action packed like DA:O or Skyrim and you're free to play that sort of thing, however it does not make it better.

My problem isn't that it's too "difficult to comprehend" or not "action packed enough".

The combat is boring, plain and simple. It lacks the tactical possibilities of earlier and later Bioware/Obsidian games (Baldur's Gate, NWN 2, KotoR) where you control full parties instead of one character + AI controlled henchman who does whatever the fuck he wants and will just get himself killed because he's a retard, but it's also not action packed and fast like Dungeon Siege or Diablo (and lol even Dungeon Siege has more tactics because you actually get to control a fucking party).

Some people do enjoy playing D&D games with a solo character for a challenge, and yeah I guess that's nice, I've attempted solo runs too but usually I prefer playing with a party. Class-based systems are intended for parties, not single chars. NWN doesn't let you play with a party. It's 3.5 D&D without a fucking party. You can play ONLY a caster or ONLY a fighter, which severely cuts down the tactical possibilities you have compared to a proper party-based RPG.

NWN doesn't have a learning curve, it has a boredom curve. When you play a fighter, for example, a trash mob encounter with 10 goblins is going to take 10 fucking minutes as your character and the goblins slooooooowly circle around each other and exchange blows while you can't really perform any flanking maneuvers or anything because - guess what - for that you'd need a proper party, like a companion to distract the enemies while you flank. But no, the only companion you get is controlled by the AI and just acts like a retard instead of performing sensible combat maneuvers.

You may as well just walk your character into the room, go and make yourself a coffee, then return. Amazingly "complex" and "engaging" gameplay right there.

Delterius

Arcane

Using the NWN1 toolset is like trying to make a clay pot out of shit and everything ever enjoyed in that godawful engine was no better than a bunch of CYOAs with shitty combat thrown in.

I became a programmer because of NWN, started my own company as a 21 year old kid and finally landed a job at a bank.
so basically the childhood dreams set forth by NWN were so ill guided that instead of making non shitty games you ended up working at a bank

Max Damage

Savant
I wouldn't call NWN the worst RPG ever, but it's pretty bad alright. FWIW I kinda enjoyed HotU (chapters 1 and 2, mostly) and a couple fan modules, but they never elevated the experience over "stunted cousin of Diablo" level to me. Solo 3E doesn't do D&D justice, ESPECIALLY not when played in RTwP. Playing non-mage is like watching paint dry while your henchman runs around like headless chicken and gets fucked by AoOs and traps.

Max Damage

Savant
NWN 1 is only good if you're 12 and it's the first D&D RPG you've played.
I played it around that age, never felt desire to play OC past 2nd chapter. Only things I liked until HotU were character building and toolset. Had limited access to Internet, so no fan mods for kid me.

Skip Dungeon Siege 1. It has some charm, but it wears thin after awhile. It is long and mindless. Dungeon Siege 2 is much more fun and worth a playthrough. It's basically a party-based 3D Diablo, as stated by others. NWN2 OC is quite bland, though acceptable if you are absolutely starved for a D&D game. The expansions, Storm of Zehir and Mask of the Betrayer are excellent though, and well worth the price of admission.

hexer

I'm

so basically the childhood dreams set forth by NWN were so ill guided that instead of making non shitty games you ended up working at a bank

Well first of all, my family is very, very poor.
Like so poor, that my father lend me $10 once during his lifetime.
So working in a bank is a dream come true for me.
I'm financially doing great thanks to NWN.

And speaking of my dreams - I'm still here working on them, learning, building it all by myself.
Who knows what will happen in the future!

Erebus

Arcane
NWN 2 is very average, though it has a few interesting (if imperfect) elements, such as the trial and the siege. And SoZ is a mainly a waste of promising ideas (the ultimate dungeon is very good, but I'm not sure it's worth all the effort and time it takes to get there).

It's technically not an expansion, but Mysteries of Westgate is pretty good.

From what I've observed, NWN 1 had better amateur adventures. For NWN 2, I mainly remember the Dark Waters trilogy (very good) and Misery Stone (starts out very well, but becomes rather tiresome after a while).

Falksi

Arcane
I think it's important to distinguish between the NWN OC and what one can do with the toolset and the Aurora engine (Swordflight).

Yeah it should be considered, but important? I'd say that's more like making sure you're family's fed and your bills are paid.

rohand

Cipher
I liked the pnp module adaptations in NWN but like you guys said, they end up lacking in solo-character single player

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The mistake people make with NWN is playing it solo. Play with friends or play on a Persistent World. It’s a whole different experience when you’re playing in a party comprised of real people. Won’t make the OC suck less, but it might make you appreciate what the engine has to offer.

Max Damage

Savant
If you can convince somebody to play NWN with you, why not play better games together in first place? It really didn't hold well against contemporary releases or even older games. HotU was fine, but I never thought of doing coop run. I got my neighbor to play HotU for a bit (he enjoyed Pale Master we made together), but idk if I'd like to revisit act 3 puzzle land.

Old Hans

Arcane
I played Drakensang the dark eye & found it pretty boring. The story was very dull

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
If you can convince somebody to play NWN with you, why not play better games together in first place? It really didn't hold well against contemporary releases or even older games. HotU was fine, but I never thought of doing coop run. I got my neighbor to play HotU for a bit (he enjoyed Pale Master we made together), but idk if I'd like to revisit act 3 puzzle land.

Because in NWN, I can log onto a PW and play in a DM event, run by a real human being, where the DM speaks through all the NPCs and controls all the monsters. In the meantime, I join ten other players and form a party to play in the event using actual D&D rules.

Besides NWN2, what other game can do that?

Max Damage

Savant
That does sound nice, never got into multiplayer NWN because I got full access to internet long after my interest vanished. Dunno, probably MUDs.

Beastro

Arcane
at the time was more than fine.

It was fine for a first play through back in 2002 with its presentation, but I don't know how someone would take it now without that wowing them.

Besides that some of dungeons later on can become a slog starting with the ice caves, but the goblin factory really is where its the worst, especially given that you spend so much time in a place that is antithetical to the calming charm of DS1, which is running through nature and old ruins getting into the music. Yes, you get the goblin weapons to try out, but their uniqueness quickly gets old.

That last bit reminds me that the game is, if anything, like a linear walking simulator.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
- King’s bounty the legend and King’s bounty armored princess. I remember I bought the first one on a sale in the mall for 1 euro, along with... Grand theft auto IV for PC. It was just one coin for each game goddamit, don’t blame me! I forgot where did I get the Armored princess one.
Really enjoyed the games in this series. Very tempting to keep going to the next fight, one after another. Worth playing.
- Sacred 2. A popular diablo clone as far I know. I remember seeing my older brother playing it a lot on his PC. It was like in 3D, good looking and with dragons. What can possibly go wrong with this?
Quit playing after 10 hours like someone else said. Just didn't feel it anymore. Same reason I quit 900 other Diablo clones. Though I believe I finished Nox but just couldn't finish Torchlight.

- Dungeon siege 1 and 2. I saw that good PC box filled with content and with the slutty redhead girl on it and I couldn’t resist. I read some old threads on the codex about the first one, it’s not well received. What about the sequel?
Played the first until I realized I wasn't aiming the bow or attacking, I was just clicking on the map. Realized how ridiculous this was. Stopped. Purchased DS2 to try the Lazarus mod only.

- Neverwinter nights 2. With all of expansions, Mask of the Betrayer included, which I never played of course, but I know is beloved. What about the base game and the rest?
Played NWN2, MOTB - thought they were ok. Would give NWN2 a 6 and MoTB an 8. As much as folks love MoTB, I had some gripes with it, but there are some VERY memorable moments. Didn't like the Spirit Eater thing and they beat the living shit out of the "Mask" as a metaphor for hiding our true selves and such. But worth a play, or as I did, worth creating 20 hours of character combinations before actually starting.

Also, just as a note - recently finished NWN1 EE - as I never completed it. Yes, it's very dull. NPC party member dies every other fight. Can't access parties inventory is infuriating. However, to Beamdog's credit: the game never crashed once. Which is fucking amazing if you ever played the original, trust me! There isn't much C&C, not a lot of alignment opportunities, and at the end of any chapter, you can't finish the previous chapter's quests. Had the time of my life with online mods, though, so can't quite hate this game.

These for now. I wonder if they worth playing or not, basically. And if they don’t have any redeeming values maybe I get rid of them in the sake of space. Good evening.
You don't need to hold onto any of these. You can get any one you list for $3 or so here and there. Think NWN2 is like $9

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom