Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Shadenuat

Arcane
kinda did both without, they don't help if check is impossible anyway.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
WICseR0.jpg

Disco Elysium: Good Great for what it is, the best computerized gamebook since Warlock of Firetop Mountain

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So how many of you did a clear run without any drugs and alcohol?
I smoked a cigarette once, does it still count?
Oh i smoked cigarettes a lot :),i don't see them as problematic substances :). I didn't drink or drugged out because even as a degenerate drunkard myself,i know that if you end up in this situation,you have to get your shit together and try fixing your life :). Smoking doesn't make you drive a fucking car in the ocean or rape a bird,so it was ok for me!

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
I don't understand how people are saying there are no choices, either you played similar to how you did before or you're exaggerating. I played twice and got wildly different results on each play-through. Your actions have have huge consequences both for yourself and the setting, even if the game doesn't shove them in your face through ending slides.
Do the ideologies themselves contribute to it, particularly for the latter?

Theophrastus

Educated
I don't understand how people are saying there are no choices, either you played similar to how you did before or you're exaggerating. I played twice and got wildly different results on each play-through. Your actions have have huge consequences both for yourself and the setting, even if the game doesn't shove them in your face through ending slides.
Do the ideologies themselves contribute to it, particularly for the latter?

By virtue of being a communist or a fascist the ending wont change. How you handle the dispute between the Union and Wild Pines, however, can result in different ways - one particular result being more agreeable for a communist, another particular result being more agreeable for a liberal, etc.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
If there was anything I disliked, it'd probably be the clock (I really don't see much point in it. It fucks you over if you don't worry about it at the beginning, but otherwise is just there to make you strategize a tiny bit, at the cost of rushing you through the dialogues)

just wondering if you noticed that time moves only in dialogues?

so, like, if you rush through dialogues you would actually make in-game time go by faster yourself?

This would explain some things...

aeroaeko

Learned
Only 2.5 hours in but the game is hilarious so far. Does the quality of writing and the humor continue for the rest?

zerosum

Novice
Patron
Only 2.5 hours in but the game is hilarious so far. Does the quality of writing and the humor continue for the rest?
yes, this is the charm of the game. you get to play as a hunter s thompson or william burroughs type character and hilarity can ensue if you let it. it's an amusing game, i was disappointed at the length, i did many side activities but clocked in at 24 hours or so, was expecting 60 in one playthrough...i couldn't have missed too much more...

Tigranes

Arcane
Really, when have you seen such intensively written, skills-based story last for sixty hours on its own? Torment would not be anywhere near 60 if we cut out the combat, and same goes for AOD. I think it was always unrealistic to expect a game like this to be supermassive (and yes, stupid of ZA/UM to say so).

Finally in Day 3 with my artistic melodramatic capitalist scumbag, could not play during the weekend. I am, at least, wearing a GREAT ROBE

mibbles

codex grandma
Patron
Does anyone know how to dig up a complete and high quality version of the dame in my avatar? She speaks to me. I need her.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Exactly one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible in a role playing video game. This is a world where even the smallest things you say matter.
2tX77Tp.png

Beastro

Arcane
One thing that really ???'ed me about both of these reviews is the stuff about disgusting human beings/not being able to be kind. It's like... did they even play this game? Almost every disgusting human being you meet turns out to be a Mensch once you get to know them. Cuno is downright tragic if you do his quest. I started feeling for the mass-murdering war criminal of a murder victim after Klaasje opened up to me about him. Joyce is terrifically relatable. Mañana, Tommy, the Netpicker... it's just full of sympathetic characters.

And kindness? Kindness is the whole entire fucking point of the game. It's even spelled out for you at a climactic moment.

It's... like, did they even play the same game at all?

You're assuming they played it long enough to find all that out. They're journalists, they don't do that sort of thing.

Exactly one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible in a role playing video game. This is a world where even the smallest things you say matter.
2tX77Tp.png
It wasn't though. I told Garte about the cock carousel and it showed up again multiple times over the course of the game, including the very ending of the game. You open a man's eyes to the cock carousel in Disco Elysium and they remain open, none of this false C&C to lull the rubes into a false sense of security.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
When replay second time, you start to notice it too... You barely change anything, just get to same results in (sometimes different, sometimes not) way.
How bad are we talking here? Telltale Walking Dead bad?

I was hoping for a dumb, strong build replay.

I'd compare this game to an incredibly tall tree. As in, it stacks gargantuan amount of layers on top of a handful of NPCs spread around a small patch of land. You can climb up top using many different branches, but every time you look around, you'll see the same landscape.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Does anyone know how to dig up a complete and high quality version of the dame in my avatar? She speaks to me. I need her.

Kasparov ?
While we're on the topic, if anyone is going to be digging up any avatars, it'd actually be nice to have all of them, sorted into a pile of spoilery and non-spoilery, if applicable.

They're probably in the asset files somewhere. It's just Unity, after all.

Prime Junta

While we're on the topic, if anyone is going to be digging up any avatars, it'd actually be nice to have all of them, sorted into a pile of spoilery and non-spoilery, if applicable.

I believe all the avatars are up on the Codex.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Going through the avatars now and realizing how awful Harry looks without his mutton chops. Keep it disco friends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom