Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favourite traditional D&D class?

• Total voters

frajaq

Erudite
have to be Paladin

bonus points if I can be an edgy fanatic Paladin like in pillars of eternity series

Mortmal

Arcane
Favourite traditional D&D class? Elf of alfheim . its not even in the poll...That was a neat variant of he traditional elf class allowing to go further than level 10th and get druidic spells instead of going martial training and be subpar fighter.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Shukenja AKA 'Jap Wizard', Tsunami for the win... Who hasn't ever wanted to wash an entire city away in a game? Meteor Swarm? Pfft. Earthquake? Whatev. Nah nigga, Ima wash away your entire city. Level 9th Range: 1 mile! Area of Effect: Wave 5' high / level so a 100 ft high wave more or less that can hit you from a mile away. :hahano::lol:

Trashos

Arcane
In theory, I would like to enjoy being a cc/buffer wizard, the in-game brains of the party, the playmaker of the team so to speak
so... bard basically?

Roleplaying-wise, I can't really see myself as a Bard. Bards are meant to be the soul of the party, I want to be the brains.

But I am playing Kingmaker right now, where it does look like Alchemists and Bards might somewhat fit the description I gave gamplay-wise. I will need to try them some more. It is vancian though, so most of the time I will be shooting things with a crossbow. So I don't know.

Cael

Arcane
In theory, I would like to enjoy being a cc/buffer wizard, the in-game brains of the party, the playmaker of the team so to speak
so... bard basically?

Roleplaying-wise, I can't really see myself as a Bard. Bards are meant to be the soul of the party, I want to be the brains.

But I am playing Kingmaker right now, where it does look like Alchemists and Bards might somewhat fit the description I gave gamplay-wise. I will need to try them some more. It is vancian though, so most of the time I will be shooting things with a crossbow. So I don't know.
You don't have to be a tavern singer. One of the bardic archetypes is the seeker of knowledge even in 3.x. And, of course, we have the other end of the spectrum in the Skald, another bardic archetype in 3.x.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'm a nerd, and I work on IT, so Wizard should be good, even though my (jerk) friends from high school told me it was too hard for me to play. Besides, Wizard can do anything. But the party will ask you to bail them out from most situations, so yes, it's kind of a responsibility.

Rogue has a lot of charm but it kinda sucked in AD&D and a bit in 3ED, in 4ED it was too powerful. Still rogue is an indispensable utility class for dungeons, you know. They can do well as spies in city settings.

In my true roleplaying days of AD&D, I think I played warrior classes the most. Fighters, paladins.

Trashos

Arcane
You don't have to be a tavern singer. One of the bardic archetypes is the seeker of knowledge even in 3.x. And, of course, we have the other end of the spectrum in the Skald, another bardic archetype in 3.x.

I 'd have to see the implementation and the specifics. Generally speaking, I am looking for a nerdy in-battle master tactician, so I am not very hopeful about Bards.

Cael

Arcane

I 'd have to see the implementation and the specifics. Generally speaking, I am looking for a nerdy in-battle master tactician, so I am not very hopeful about Bards.
If you want that, then there is a feat you can take that allow you to roll the appropriate Knowledge to gain bonuses vs enemies. For Clerics, it is easy: Just trade in your Knowledge Domain. For others, you can get it but it has other requirements. I can't remember what it was called.

Remember also that RP is where the archetypes come into the fore. You can play it as a songstress or Indianna Jones using the same set of skills and spells. It is about the RP.

Prime Junta

First voted Wizard. Then changed my vote to Cleric.

The magic system is the best part of D&D and I really don't want to miss out on that. Wizards take this todamax but clerics are more versatile and also if the campaign/DM is any good the RP possibilities are more interesting. In D&D cRPGs I prefer clerics to pure wizards as the gameplay is more varied, although a dual/multiclass wizard/fighter or wizard/thief is even more fun.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

po_hu_m_20_h.jpg
Druid.

• Wisdom-based spellcasting (no armor penalty)
  • has great buffs such as stoneskin, haste, regenerate, etc. (only lacks Imp. Invisiblity)
  • becomes a formidable fighter when buffed
  • becomes a formidable fighter when polymorphed
  • has an animal companion (and can cycle it for versatility, bear - meatshield, panther - damage, hawk - utility)
  • the only class that can multiclass with Shifter
  • can have epic spells just like Wizard or Sorcerer
  • DRAGON SHAPE
  • gets a lot of skill points

Erebus

Arcane
Thief. In settings full of spellcasters who freely violate the laws of reality (as well as a few muscle-bound warriors), there's something refreshing about someone who relies mainly on agility, stealth and cunning to get shit done.

Delterius

Arcane
I also support the exclusion of sorcerers from this list because they are chad wizards and it triggers me.
Altho i'd like to ammend this by saying that the nice thing about sorcerers is that they can be thematic and somewhat mysterious, which is something that lacks in a hard magic system like D&D.

Delterius

Arcane
I also support the exclusion of sorcerers from this list because they are chad wizards and it triggers me.
Altho i'd like to ammend this by saying that the nice thing about sorcerers is that they can be thematic and somewhat mysterious, which is something that lacks in a hard magic system like D&D.
bards are more mysterious with their chad magic
Bards and Wizards are pigeonholed somewhat into archetypes, right? Not to say that you can't come up with unique backstories and characters, but they generally walk towards the same goal - of being the suave lute player magic guy or the smarty pants arcane witch.

Clerics on the other hand are customizable from the get go. You have like 50 gods, each with their own agendas and tenets and the player can sort of interprete those in their own way.

Warlocks go even beyond that with the whole servant of elder powers schtick.

Pathfinder Sorcerers bring that same thing to arcane users, with the bloodlines all standing for something specific. Playing a campaign where dragons feature proeminently? Why not BE A DRAGON?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
First voted Wizard. Then changed my vote to Cleric.

I've wanted to play a Cleric for a while. I dropped D&D within the last year due
to scheduling. But, the next time I find a group or play a one-shot, I'm
definitely making one.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bards are more mysterious with their chad magic
Bards and Wizards are pigeonholed somewhat into archetypes, right? Not to say that you can't come up with unique backstories and characters, but they generally walk towards the same goal - of being the suave lute player magic guy or the smarty pants arcane witch.

Clerics on the other hand are customizable from the get go. You have like 50 gods, each with their own agendas and tenets and the player can sort of interprete those in their own way.

Warlocks go even beyond that with the whole servant of elder powers schtick.

Pathfinder Sorcerers bring that same thing to arcane users, with the bloodlines all standing for something specific. Playing a campaign where dragons feature proeminently? Why not BE A DRAGON?
I fail to see how clerics are better than wizards in that regard.

Also bards do not need to be lute guy. You can be chad archeologist, chad barber surgeon, chad joker... Only thing it pidgeon holes you to do is being chad

I mean, clerics and warlocks get more prefabricated tools to play with. How does a wizard or a bard get their magic? No one cares—maybe you had a teacher or you read a book or you studied abroad in Thay for a semester. How does a cleric or a warlock get their magic? Well, you’re in a relationship with a divine, infernal or otherworldly entity. If forces you to flesh out your character more thoroughly from the beginning and that’s generally a good thing. At the very least, it’s less work for your imagination.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Cleric. Why? Because of their versatility. I always played them in 1st and 2nd ed, but in 3.0 and 3.5 they took off. In fact in 3.5 it could be argued they were OP - but doing stuff like sword and shield cleric with hold person, dispel magic, and all kinds of alignment type spells - just adds a lot of dimension. Can probably use the majority of found magic items. Parties love Clerics played well.

Warriors and such are too one dimensional. Wizards just take too long to be viable. Druids are situational and get shit tier weapons. Rogues are fun but are situational and for the most they are simple check door/check for traps/etc, and leather armor sucks. Paladins are fun in the right situation, but it varies. Other spell-casters take too long to be good. Bards are weak nuisances that should be crushed. Get the fuck out of here making DM's put magic harps in the fucking treasure to appease you lazy bums!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom