Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline [Poll] The Best of the "Kinda Mediocre"

Your favorite (or least disliked) of the bunch?

• Pillars of Eternity

• Neverwinter Nights 2 (OC)

• Dragon Age: Origins

• Mass Effect 1

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is deadfire really that much better? i constantly hear people saying that and wonder if i should try it or not, what did it do better then PoE1 exactly?

Deadfire is probably prettiest isometric RPG around and all dialogues are completely voiced.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's it? what about the turn based combat patch; is it any good?

It breaks at least 30% of the system that relied on attack speed and recovery but it is ok for people who have a strong feelings toward RTwP.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
DaO Good game enjoyed it all, played all origins even elven ones too (but only origin parts of course) and all the expansions too its not mediocre game its solid 8/10 (Some maps had too much trash mobs and Zevran) :4/5:/:5/5:

ME Good game played it once or twice and enjoyed it all aside from MACO parts, still ME2 was better as shooter. :3/5:/:5/5:

NWN2 Banal, shit, boring main campaign, some good modules out there and brilliant Mask of Betrayer so mixed bag for me. :4/5:/:5/5: for good parts :2/5:/:5/5: for rest so final verdict: :3/5:/:5/5:

POE

:backawayslowly:

Just shit in silk stockings paraphrasing Napoleon, gorgeous maps wasted by walls of boring dialogues, trying to hard to be original setting which another USA in fantasy land, tons of those backer NPCs and begining of Obsidian cucking hard to of SJW by removing the grave stone and this dwarven wombyn NPC.

:1/5:/:5/5:

Desolate Dancer

Educated
Since I'm a male I'll never know what it feels like to be in labor... but I wager it must be like playing with Project Eternity's end result. Daily reminder that this 'game' is not worth being mentioned anywhere, at all. To call it mediocre is like calling cancer a bliss. To consider it an rpg is like considering SJW opinions to be valid and benevolent. To call it a game is like calling being waterboarded a cakewalk.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tough question. I liked all 4 of them, but neither of them blew my mind. They were a fun romp, but that's all. But maybe DAO was the most enjoyable so went with that.

That said, I haven't played the updated version of PoE, neither its expansions, so maybe that would change my mind.

Goromorg

Savant
Hard choice, man.
Can't comment on NWN 2 since I haven't played it and have no desire to do so. I know, however, that it has shitty camera and doesn't have any good rule 34 material.
POE has boring story, shitty combat and only one good rule 34 pic, so it's ruled out too
38e2b6250fb6520d865ea41a3a8b7649.jpeg
Now DAO and ME both have some quality rule 34 stuff,
4d6a7af21286ede5ed0292330071053e.jpeg

f86986eb31bfcc4c7dde4ae4611c0ca642f8906d.jpg

4b3c6b40ca293cef328e639f9771b553.jpeg

11828ab5f9769a4f5891055b4de29388.jpeg
f23f95d619008bd67705d94ea3edb2cf374ea7a5.jpg

68b2486a40fba6c23655edf74b7a3df85e6efe9f.jpg

767cae2f1cd4e4e224a2f0ce544bfef3.jpeg

92e722ec221fdd460bb6db893693aada.jpeg
and in addition to that, DAO has a pretty good combat system, so I would call it a winner here.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Both DAO and PoE1 are 7/10 games to me, but if I had to replay one of them I would probably replay DAO. And so I voted for DAO.

DAO had so much filler combat it made me feel drained after completing it.

I don't know if I'll ever replay it. It gave me trash mob PTSD.

Nahel

Arcane
DAO had some great parts including C&C, origins and some relatively old-school combat. Increible potential for a franchise which would have expanded on its strenghts. Made me purchase Dragon Age 2. Was followed by the video games form of vomit.
ME1. Similar for science fiction setting. Decent setting and companions. Horrible mako sections, bad itemization. The franchise declined after.
NW2. OC is a mixed bag. Decent companions, rp and leveling possibilities. Great castle management. Horrible camera and bad combat. MOTB is good but overrated.

POE: Awful. Struggled to finish it. First act is ok. Boring text, boring companions, boring setting. No memorable encouters or items. Killed the nostalgia for the franchise which lead to deadfire downfall. Which I never even tried since POE bored me too hard. Managed the impressive feat of boring combatfags and storyfags in the same game

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
None of those were entertaining enough for me to stick to the end. Since MotB isn't OC, they all suck for me equally in the grand scheme of things.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never played Dragon Age and Mass Effect, didn't finish PoE, NWN2 OC is mostly just mediocre and drawn out rather than bad (with some nice parts) and I've beaten it once, so NWN 2 it is. Not on the list but "best mediocre" RPG for me would be Wasteland 2.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I liked Mass Effect 1 (shitty combat and all) better than DA:O (shitty combat and all) and both better than POE or NWN2.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ME1 is an awesome action game with RPG elements.
It's a pretty awful action game with terribly clunky combat though. I would describe it as an "awesome cinematic dialogue simulator with RPG elements". A lot of 3D AAA RPG's ended up copying the cinematic dialogues, complete with the dialogue wheel and voiced protagonist, while absolutely no one copied the combat (not even the sequels).

DeepOcean

Arcane
While there are alot of trash on DAO, there are genuine good moments, Mass Effect 1 shooting was too janky for me but there were some pretty good ideas that the sequels squandered, NWN 2 wasn't unsalvageable, while the OC was pure destilled crap, MotB was absolutely brillant and Storm over Zehir and that Ossian unnoficial expansions are worthy to be played and much better than the OC. Pillars of Eternity... well... there are some pretty 2d backgrounds.... well, it was a game made by robots on a Taylorist gaming development assemble line where they took the MVP (minimum viable product) concept a little too serious, that is how a felt.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
PoE - Very uneven. Some stuff is really great (several of the companions, some of the dungeons, most of the art) and then so much feels unfinished, ill-thought out, or just plain poor. Unfortunately the ending and the main story fall in the latter category which really sours the experience in retrospect.

Hated DAO's setting and aesthetics too much to ever enjoy the game. The art style, the dialogue, the character designs, the story... it's like sand paper on my eyes, ears, and brain. Gameplay was okay I guess, definitely not good enough to play it for that alone. So I didn't finish it.

Mass Effect - I actually enjoyed. It has some of that Bioware cringe, but it didn't get to me like DA. I don't remember the gameplay being great, but at least it wasn't the endless march through cover-shooter arenas that I gradually began to hate in ME2.

NWN2 - didn't play it.

My vote goes to PoE because it's the one I saw the most potential in and which I wanted to enjoy the most.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think DA:O is probably the best overall game on that list, and I voted for it.

Me personally though, as a sci-fi addict, I'd probably rather play Mass Effect on a random day. I don't think it's better, just more my thing as far as setting and story. Though the DA:O gameplay is better despite the trash mobs, so maybe it'd be a 50/50 for me. Pillars probably has the best writing I guess? Pure writing, not setting or situations, but it's boring in most other ways. NWN2 I played once and barely remember, but pretty boring as well.

Xeon

Augur
Voted for DAO, even tho I prefer sci-fi to fantasy. ME1 was kinda slow, tried replaying it a few times but it felt kinda of a drag, if they remaster it or something and add faster sprint or something then I would vote for it every time but for now I prefer Origins for the Origins stories, that felt kinda unique when I first played it, even tho overall it doesn't change much, it still spiced things up a little bit for replays.

PoE1 I hated it and never bother completing it and NWN2 OC was pretty boring and the combat was just too easy so there wasn't anything to really praise, didn't beat it as well since it bugged out during the final boss fight and I was just too burned out and didn't want to do the final bits again.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gotta be PoE. It was fresh. Great new system, fun, unique classes. Great itemization (even more so with the expansions). Interesting lore and world building. Great graphics.
Sure, the pacing was bad, the main city lifeless. Atmosphere all over the place - starts depressing with the hollowborn crisis, but then it somehow manages to vanish to the background.
Still, it's the best game from that list by far.

NWN 2 OC was a step down from NWN1 in most aspects.

DAO had a story so bland and cliche that it hurt. Also skill trees were BOTH horribly unbalanced (mages) and terribly redundant (sword&board) for certain classes.

ME1 - it was a shooter. Well, at least a creative one, I suppose.

Desolate Dancer

Educated
Gotta be PoE. It was fresh. Great new system, fun, unique classes. Great itemization (even more so with the expansions). Interesting lore and world building. Great graphics.
Sure, the pacing was bad, the main city lifeless. Atmosphere all over the place - starts depressing with the hollowborn crisis, but then it somehow manages to vanish to the background.
Still, it's the best game from that list by far.
You're joking, right? :notsureifserious:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom