Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What classifies a game as a rpg vs as a game with rpg elements?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm implying it is faithfully mirroring a tabletop experience; yes, indeed, I am fucking retarded.
Great, that clears that up.
Disco Elysium would have been classified as an adventure game 30 years ago.
Quest for Glory would be classified as an RPG today.

Glad to be of help.
This is the sad truth of the matter.

I understand why the developers and publishers do it, whatwith the categorizations and the algorithms, CRPGs being far more popular than Adventure Games, and customers being ignorant and gullible. But it's still scummy and disingeneous, and it still annoys the hell out of me, and it probably always will.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Seriously - why else you would play some 50+ hours game if not for sexy girls?

1562512652145694816.png

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Fucking Retard Supreme

Come join one of my games. After I'm done kicking in your teeth for talking shit on the internet, maybe you can join the game and see that I'm right. You bottom-feeding dumbfuck.
Why'd I give a shit about some run-of-the-mill clueless retard playing 'internet tough guy', and how would his shitty games factor into it? :lol:

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Disco Elysium would have been classified as an adventure game 30 years ago.
Quest for Glory would be classified as an RPG today.

Glad to be of help.
This is the sad truth of the matter.

I understand why the developers and publishers do it, whatwith the categorizations and the algorithms, CRPGs being far more popular than Adventure Games, and customers being ignorant and gullible. But it's still scummy and disingeneous, and it still annoys the hell out of me, and it probably always will.
Correct. Games labeled as "RPG" sell better than those labeled as "Muh Adventure" these days. It is all about marketing.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I haven't played DE, but...

Wireframe04-1.png

You read that question the game's asking? The "what kind of character do you want to play"? That's the first question role-playing games should ask to the player. Any game that focuses on repeatedly asking it (through stats, dialogue options, karma meters, and so on) is a role-playing game. If it doesn't, then that's probably a squad based tactics game with stats, an adventure game with stats, or a FPS with stats.

DeepOcean

Arcane
RPGs have simulationist ambitions while games with RPG elements are games where you have stats as a sort of progression metric and many times an artificial metric at that.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I haven't played DE, but...

Wireframe04-1.png

You read that question the game's asking? The "what kind of character do you want to play"? That's the first question role-playing games should ask to the player. Any game that focuses on repeatedly asking it (through stats, dialogue options, karma meters, and so on) is a role-playing game. If it doesn't, then that's probably a squad based tactics game with stats, an adventure game with stats, or a FPS with stats.
It says Disco Elysium is a rogue(lite, i guess).

JDR13

Arcane
I think Disco Elysium can safely be considered an RPG.

Even though it's not one, IMO.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Are games like Disco elysium bonafide rpgs or are they be better categorize as games with some rpg elements?

If sometime in the future, Disco Elysium wins the (rpg) GOTY award, will the rpg codex be embroiled in controversy and drama or will its members stand in solidarity; reaching some median level of acceptance for such an award?

What say you?

Where do you stand?

Discuss.
Congratz, you made your "what defines an RPG" post and passed your right of passage.

laclongquan

Arcane
Rpg games have romances. If they don't - it's just another dungeon crawler.

Am I the only one who thinks that romances in RPGs are retarded?
Reference: Planescape Torment, see Deionarra, Annah, and Fall-From-Grace. And while it's a bit icky, see part regarding Ravel, Mebbeth, Ei Vene, Marta.

Oh come on
What?

Leaving aside the obvious three...
Ravel romance is a bit icky like reading about grandmother love life...
But it's romance nonetheless.
If you dont feel the Ravel piece is romantic... you obviously dont have taste for romance in general, not just PST in particular.
It is fine, in a way, because that's just the way you are.
But dont pretend to be judgmental about romance, because you dont have anything to based your judgement on.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Rpg games have romances. If they don't - it's just another dungeon crawler.

Am I the only one who thinks that romances in RPGs are retarded?
Reference: Planescape Torment, see Deionarra, Annah, and Fall-From-Grace. And while it's a bit icky, see part regarding Ravel, Mebbeth, Ei Vene, Marta.

Oh come on
What?

Leaving aside the obvious three...
Ravel romance is a bit icky like reading about grandmother love life...
But it's romance nonetheless.
If you dont feel the Ravel piece is romantic... you obviously dont have taste for romance in general, not just PST in particular.
It is fine, in a way, because that's just the way you are.
But dont pretend to be judgmental about romance, because you dont have anything to based your judgement on.

No, you right, I mean that it doesn't feel right to cite PS:T as an argument. Just because this game is art and Dragon Age or BG or PoE are not, and their romances are ridiculous. Also we need Harry/Kim romance in DE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom