Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hellion

Arcane
These "chat commands" streams are beyond retarded.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I feel so blessed I totally get to play the sequel to New Vegas like one year after playing it for the first time!!!

Points for making the effort to be consistent.

Only "white" person is a Med, figures.

She's a gay pajeeta. Buuuuut to share a meme posted by the late, great Wyrmlord https://twitter.com/PraticOslo/status/1125006577512210437
D5zRpYWWsAANOub

Last edited:

Theophrastus

Educated
Vice (unsurprisingly) joins in the *Game wasn't anti-corporate/racist/whatever* crowd

Despite the corporate dystopia, it retains Fallout’s “gotta hear both sides” emphasis on player freedom and choice: Sure, you can “yeet the rich,” but the game is just as willing to let you shut down an environmentalist commune and shuffle the folks therein back under the corporate yoke if that’s the sort of asshole you wanna be.

(In fact, one of The Outer World’s most jarring attributes is the way the political frame in dialog options shifts from quest to quest and world to world. A variety of choices are always available (as is outright violence), but the range of dialog options offered is inconsistent. Sometimes, as in the opening quest which lets you de-power an entire corporate settlement, your character can inhabit a burn the corps down, let’s dance in the flames radical mode. Other times, its as if a different writer has picked up the pen, offering your character only resignation (or even naivety) as their most anti-capitalist tone. On the planet of Monarch, where one corp is trying to enact incremental reforms, I found myself rolling my eyes as my character seemed suddenly befuddled that the Corporate Board might break its own rules.

How dare the game look at both sides. MUUUUUUUH POLITICS. Probably would only be satisfied if you have LESS choices. All radical anti-corporate of course.

It's by Austin fucking Walker as well.

That's clearly not the criticism though, is it. The review criticizes the lack of consistency which leads to a lack of choice. Sometimes you can be radical, sometimes you only have resignation. It seems like a fair criticism, why shouldn't we have the choice to have a consistently radical position if we're allowed to literally murder everyone in the game?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Vice (unsurprisingly) joins in the *Game wasn't anti-corporate/racist/whatever* crowd

Despite the corporate dystopia, it retains Fallout’s “gotta hear both sides” emphasis on player freedom and choice: Sure, you can “yeet the rich,” but the game is just as willing to let you shut down an environmentalist commune and shuffle the folks therein back under the corporate yoke if that’s the sort of asshole you wanna be.

(In fact, one of The Outer World’s most jarring attributes is the way the political frame in dialog options shifts from quest to quest and world to world. A variety of choices are always available (as is outright violence), but the range of dialog options offered is inconsistent. Sometimes, as in the opening quest which lets you de-power an entire corporate settlement, your character can inhabit a burn the corps down, let’s dance in the flames radical mode. Other times, its as if a different writer has picked up the pen, offering your character only resignation (or even naivety) as their most anti-capitalist tone. On the planet of Monarch, where one corp is trying to enact incremental reforms, I found myself rolling my eyes as my character seemed suddenly befuddled that the Corporate Board might break its own rules.

How dare the game look at both sides. MUUUUUUUH POLITICS. Probably would only be satisfied if you have LESS choices. All radical anti-corporate of course.

It's by Austin fucking Walker as well.

That's clearly not the criticism though, is it. The review criticizes the lack of consistency which leads to a lack of choice. Sometimes you can be radical, sometimes you only have resignation. It seems like a fair criticism, why shouldn't we have the choice to have a consistently radical position if we're allowed to literally murder everyone in the game?

It is, because its from the perspective of someone that constantly does the preachy thing. If it doesn't conform what he think it should its *tonally inconsistent*.
(Austin Walker actually hates capitalism btw.)

That said I have a clear bias towards him and VICE which I admit myself. So, your mileage may vary. Was wrong to make that a big deal anyway.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Chat/Twitch System has broken. Forward/Directions doesn't seem to work anymore. :lol:

Edit: Works again.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Steam is DRM.
Yeah Steam IS DRM
Not by default. Steam's DRM is an optional component that developers can use (admittedly, most do).

Here's a list of games that don't use the DRM: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

since you have to be online and all that shit to play.
You don't, you can start Steam in offline mode. Although in practice I rarely get Steam to start without an internet connection due to bugs where it tries to reach the Steam servers and update first.:deathclaw:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the hell are they doing in that stream? First time playing a video game or something?

Edit:

Aha, the fucking chat plays the game. I thought someone was having a stroke and fell over the controls.

AW8

Arcane
A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.
Currently I can't start offline mode which I believe is due to an update that refuses to install, but I've had problems with it since back in 2011 (then the problem seemed to be that Steam had detected a pending update but not downloaded it, and then refusing to start in offline mode until the pending update had been installed).

GFWL was utter garbage but at least it always allowed me to start games in offline mode flawlessly.

Or are you insinuating that Valve fucks up offline mode on purpose?

What the hell are they doing in that stream? First time playing a video game or something?
Viewers' chat comments control the character. It was pretty fun back in Twitch Plays Pokemon, but a first-person shooter is too fast for it to be fun.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Or are you insinuating that Valve fucks up offline mode on purpose?
Of course I am. The bug was present when I was using Steam for a brief time in 2015, if Valve still hasn't bothered to fix something so basic then it's obvious what's going on here.

AW8

Arcane
Of course I am. The bug was present when I was using Steam for a brief time in 2015, if Valve still hasn't bothered to fix something so basic then it's obvious what's going on here.
Your Deus Ex avatar clouds your judgement. It's not a conspiracy, the answer instead follows the theme of this thread: Corporations care only for profit. And I don't think enough people care about offline mode that Valve would make money from fixing it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I volunteered overseas in 2012 and before I left I installed a bunch of games on my laptop and put Steam in offline mode. They all launched and ran fine the whole year. Steam had offline issues early on, but hasn't anytime recently in my experience. That said I do buy from GOG whenever possible just because DRM free is better.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Has anybody who is not from California play/review this game yet? Would you use the word "safe" to describe TOW?

There's quite a bit of french and german reviews out there. All 8s prasing writting, quest design and artstyle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom