Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There, done. I hope you assholes are happy, because I will have Mossad on my ass for this one.

We'll send a cute girl* in Rance cosplay to your place as a reimbursement. You can choose the character.

*) Roberta

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In other news, 14 newsposts about Solasta kickstarter. 0 about Codex top RPG getting an official English release.
There are darker gods than Infinitron we have yet to call upon. Perhaps WhiskeyWolf is interested in spreading the good news?

Or maybe Infinitron is working a related surprise for you that isn't quite ready yet...

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
1570496250997.jpg

Someone in /haniho/ abused the Mikan levelup passive to the point that he got all non-god/fiend units to level 45.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Bohrain said:
Someone in /haniho/ abused the Mikan levelup passive to the point that he got all non-god/fiend units to level 45.

It's autistic even if it's a fresh, start from scratch 0 CP game, don't see a point in spending 20k+ turns to hit Lv 45.
One can naturally exceed that ATs on hard mode nearing end game.

SC5hfbD.png

Used 2 similar-spec substitute cards as don't have them in the hard playthrough.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So someone created a way to list your favorite Rance characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ssQ5oj_9M

https://tiermaker.com/create/sengoku-rance-characters-61449

If I were to create a Waifu category, I would have went with Sill (of course), Suzume, Rizna, Maria, Isoroku, Kenshin, and Senhime. Kentou, Uruza, Magic, Akihime, Yuzumi, Ai, Natori, Agireda, Omachi, Shizuka, and Ran are also up there. Leila and the deceased Milli Yorks are also bros for life.
Fuck me but I have some autism

My waifus and bros chart ~
sr-tiers.jpg

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Finished Rance IV.
Fun writing, lackluster gameplay. I hope that they'll do some extra content for Replica Misly, Dio Calmis and Cantel for the eventual remake. Interesting characters that get like 1-3 scenes each, waste of potential.

Last edited:
True, Rance IV had great backstory that should be expanded more. A bit more about the Holy Sect is shown in Rance 9 - 10, but nothing on Dio or Replica.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Rance X on Blind Playthrough

Best to be challenged and enjoyed without consulting an online guide (or even worse, a walkthrough).
The digital playing manual provided on installation is sufficient to understand the gameplay mechanics & damage calculation.

My own self-made, nitty-gritty guide is now at more than 1k lines.
However, have to restart once for not obtaining a subsequent 'Protagonist Faction' progression card in time for a mandatory battle.

New Game+ Hard Mode Info
On a 9 CP hard run, manage to eke through No.1 challenge boss fight while No.2 full-spec boss fight took 150+ turns.

O2ILw2n.png

DHNzmDD.png
But most turn-limited optional challenge boss fights are impossible for a 9 CP hard run.
So Hard Mode is more for card collecting and/or nearing max CP playthroughs.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In other news, 14 newsposts about Solasta kickstarter. 0 about Codex top RPG getting an official English release.
There are darker gods than Infinitron we have yet to call upon. Perhaps WhiskeyWolf is interested in spreading the good news?

Or maybe Infinitron is working a related surprise for you that isn't quite ready yet...

And... the review is out:
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11269

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Secrets of the 323-points KTM run spoiled!
https://alicesoft.fandom.com/wiki/Translation_of_the_Chinese_323_point_run

Fuck me, getting a motivational paper in Pearl Dungeon is awesome, and would let me declare on Takeda turn 19 instead of turn 20. I guess I have to restart my run from there:(

Turn 26 Orochi is... balls.
It is very impressive, but it is also full of stuff like:
We restart the game until we have made sure that the hot spring isn't located in Yamato or Hijemi, an Action Textbook drops from the final floor of the pear dungeon and Morita Ai has an initial troop count of 479 (in this case)
PS: During this counterattack you will get the SenriQ Cup and Morita gets her second affection point
Complete Pearl Dungeon (Collect all 3 items for Kaguya)
and implicit dependencies on the battle permits choosing right targets.

I mean, here's the primary orochi requirement
The author didn't say if they used the Sill start of turn events in turn 11/21 to lvl up Rance. Otherwise he only could have gotten +1 from the pearl dungeon and +2 from conquering the mikos. That leaves 18-22 lvls to prisoner releases so that's a lot of capturing done.
18 levels is 90 commanders captured, in 26 turns, ie capturing ~3.5 commanders per turn.

Black

Arcane
So many points is impressive for sure but only for bragging rights since I don't even think there's enough new game+ bonuses to spend so many points on. And if you're using a guide you don't really get to brag, do you.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It shows how much creativity there is still left in an "optimized" path. Like, he doesn't even use Kenshin/ Ai for Satisfaction! 324 (turn 41) is probably possible...

I would like to see if I can optimize first game for points/ turns. Probably would involve a lot of vassalizing.

Getting an optimal hot spring spot turn 1 save *is* super nice. It would shave a turn off of my T35/ T36 first game 4th fan, for instance.

thesecret1

Arcane
Whenever in doubt, whever you cannot reach a decision, take a deep breath and think "What would Rance do?". Then go and rape the nearest cute girl

Black

Arcane
Quick question, do Rance 6, 9 and 10 have new game+ or something similar, like SR?

Quick question, do Rance 6, 9 and 10 have new game+ or something similar, like SR?

Afaik, Rance 6 only has the post game, with some extra quests.

In 9 there are 7 alternate routes involving the waifus, also new events appear in each chapter.

X has the closest to a pproper NG+ system. You get bonus points for each ending you get and for achieving certain conditions, plenty of stuff to unlock but nowhere at the level of SR. Also you need to beat the game several time to unlock the second arc of the game, which is at least 1/3 as long as the regular game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
X has the closest to a pproper NG+ system. You get bonus points for each ending you get and for achieving certain conditions, plenty of stuff to unlock but nowhere at the level of SR. Also you need to beat the game several time to unlock the second arc of the game, which is at least 1/3 as long as the regular game.
2025 gonna be a cool year.

Edit: never have I been proven fabulously optimistic so quickly after taking what I considered to be a pessimistic stance at the time.

Last edited:

Gearmos

Educated
Mangagamer has backed out of a deal with the translator of Rance 10, and he is no longer working in the game:

Well, I'm not working on Rance 10 anymore after Mangagamer abruptly backed out of a deal we had regarding payment, so I won't be working with them in the future. But before we can get to how that happened, we have to talk about how Mangagamer is an absolute shitshow.

It's also also interesting the data he gives on MG sales:

Most releases on the MG store sell well under a thousand copies, and it's extremely rare that something goes over 2000. The Alicesoft games generally sold 1500-ish on the MG store, though Sengoku is close to 2000 last I heard. Evenicle has sold closer to 15000 total thanks to being on Steam, although Steam takes some of that profit, and most games don't do that well on Steam either.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'm entirely sure that Mangagamer is a bunch of asshats and the guy has my thanks for fantraslating years ago Alicesoft games, but I do remember how he pretty much told the people THE MASTER PLAN WAS WORKING WITH MANGAGAMER SINCE THE BEGINNING GET FUCKED PLEBS

And then he discovers his Master Plan was retarded and that everyone and his dog pirates stuff, and that everyone and his dog already played the old fan-translation of SR he shat upon mercilessly.

In short, good fucking riddance.

Nahel

Arcane
Sad news. I am not a fan of the new translation for SR (loved the old one a lot more) but MG still fulfills a specific niche. Sad that awesome games like SR get so few sales when shitty games makes millions. So much decline

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I was never really a particular fan of Arunaru's translations, but him walking off is understandable since translation pays peanuts and according to him working for MG pays less than peanuts.
Really wish the Alicesoft titles were available on Steam and the licence was held by a more competent company. I wouldn't mind paying Kickstarter bucks to get more rapid translations for the games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom