Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play by Mail: Hyborian War

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, I've played Reality Simulations Inc's Hyborian War twice now and I think it's time to go for a third attempt.

Here's a link to the webpage:
http://www.reality.com/hwprul1.htm

From the website:

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars -- Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark haired women and towers of spider haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold." -- The Nemedian Chronicles

HYBORlAN WAR is a Play-By-Mail game of battle, intrigue, and diplomacy set in the unmatchable Hyborian Age of Conan. You will rule one of over 30 different Kingdoms re-created from the Conan legend. Each land is unique with its own armies, leaders, trade, culture and imperial ambitions (see pages 2-4). You will command Nobles, Generals, Wizards, Heroes, Spies and Priests who in turn will govern provinces, lead armies, cast magics, set forth to high adventures, spy far off lands, and call upon the gods as you decree. Raids, invasions, assassinations, diplomatic delegations, intrigue, treaties, counter-spying, prophecy, and much, much more will be the tools you will use to rule and advance your chosen realm.

The game is simple in concept. You pick a kingdom, and have to reach your objective of lands to conquer before the time limit of 30 turns runs out. Each country has a different series of provinces that they have to conquer for their unique objective and end game score. Your resources are your countries wealth, your military, members of your court, and traveling mercenaries that might temporarily join you (yes, I had Conan join once for a turn).

We have to pick three to six kingdoms in our order of preference. I am limiting our options to a small kingdom because I am one of the following: poor/cheap/kingcomrade.

I have played Khoraja and did just ok before. Khoraja starts off with a mediocre wizard and hero, and I got my hero in my court killed off early on. The generals are also just ok, but Khoraja has some great diplomats and statesmen. Also, my teenage self (this was a long time ago) didn't know how to organize Khoraja's badass army. I expanded territory (because of Conan leading the army), but never met my objectives and nearly bankrupted the rich kingdom. Meanwhile, my ally Koth got brutalized and I never did come to their aid. All in all a pretty shitty showing for a powerful country.

I also played Juma's Kingdom, which is much poorer, and with a less equipped military. Still, the hero and wizard were better than Khorajas and the generals were capable. I made my country objectives and came out that game as the top-ranked small kingdom.

Here are our options:

AMAZONIA (S) -- The female warriors of Gamburu are unmatched in the Southern world. Their fleet footed warriors are rightly feared for their ferocity and for their prowess with both the Javelin and their bronze bladed shortswords. A dream of empire calls them to seek dominion over the vast interior grasslands and the endless, forgotten jungles beyond.

BORDER KINGDOM (S) -- On the fringes of the great Salt Marsh within the Border Kingdom, a new power is quickly developing. Strengthened by a surprising volume of trade (which travels northward to avoid high Nemedian Tariffs) and by a harsh but brilliant leadership composed mostly of exiled Aquilonian and Nemedian families, the young border Kingdom lies poised on the brink of empire ... IF only the fledgling Kingdom can stave off the early territorial appetites of its larger neighbors.

DARFAR (S) -- The sharply filed teeth of the Darfar savages haunt the dreams of even the boldest warriors who have faced them in screaming battle. Actually composed of a various mix of tribes, the Ghanatan and the northern Tibu tribes foremost amongst them. Darfar gains its name from the scattered cannibalistic grassland tribes which most often provide the drive and leadership for empire.

JUMA'S KlNGDOM (S) -- The warriors of Kulalo receive archer training in the Turanian fashion and thus stand out as the finest archers in any of the Black Kingdoms. Juma's Kingdom is relatively unbeleaguered in early years and can look to the north and south coastlines for easy expansion. The black corsairs of the Southern Isles have become natural enemies over many a skirmish and raid. Under skillful control, Juma's Kingdom can quickly emerge as a major power in the southern world.

KHORAJA (S) -- Blessed with excellent leadership, a highly diverse and well trained army, a fertile land, and a location central to the rich southern and eastern trade routes, Khoraja is powerful beyond its tiny size. Wizards and priests capable of calling upon unearthly aid are not unknown in Khoraja. Situated over the fractured eastern Shemish Kingdoms, Khoraja stands at the gates of empire IF through wisdom and cunning Shem, Stygia, and Turan can be held at bay. As the epoch begins, Koth and Khauran stand firmly allied with Khoraja.

KUSAN (S) -- The westernmost Khitan Kingdom, culturally advanced Kusan relies upon her excellent ambassadors and diplomats (easily the most adept politicians of the age) at least as much as upon her armies. Considered the most challenging position to rule, Kusan must expand its tiny size in the dwindling vacuum between great Khitai in the east and the Hyrkanian hordes to the west.

PUNT (S) -- The barbaric splendor of the Kingdom which is Punt is based upon the bright yellow gold washed down off the central hills. Hereditary enemies of Keshan, Punt must also mistrust the growing power of Zembabwei. If these two foes can be kept at bay, and if a trade route can be established to the gold hungry markets of the Hyborian world, then Punt may well emerge as supreme among the Black Kingdoms.

TOMBALKU (S) -- The vibrant clashing Tombalku culture provides a springboard of energy for expansionist desires. Unless controlled, the white-black conflict in Tombalku may rip the small but powerful Kingdom in two. However, if united and working together, the Tombalku riders, Black spearmen, and White lancers may roll back their bordering nations in a surging red tide!

Maps are here: http://www.reality.com/hwpmap.htm

So what countries shall we lead?

oscar

Arcane
TOMBALKU sounds interesting. Who are the white lancers supposed to represent? Stygians and Shemites?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I say DARFAR. Spread primal chaos throughout the land.
In the event of a tie, bump up TOMBALKU, because black spearmen and white lancers sounds kitschy cool.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
TOMBALKU sounds interesting. Who are the white lancers supposed to represent? Stygians and Shemites?

Well, if we want to cheat a little, we have this guy to thank for his autism: http://www.terrablood.com/hyborian-war/

Let's do a quick break down of the starting forces using his first turn reports:

Wall Map (sent via mail when we start):
http://www.terrablood.com/hw/HyborianWarWallMap.jpg

A note on heroes in the court. Most heroes only have adventuring skills, and you need to send them out to adventure. But adventuring is dangerous, so it is likely they'll be killed. But if they survive, they can come back with a bunch of treasure for a nice increase to the country's wealth and they may receive an increase in stats. There is a chance that a returning hero might learn more skills and become somewhat useful in the court.

AMAZONIA: Poor wizards, but decent heroes and awesome rulers. You also have a master spy and a hero that's also good at diplomacy. There's a wealth of talent on that court, and an adequate military and treasury. But that's a lot of victory requirements.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-amazonia/

BORDER KINGDOM: Another set of really awesome court members, a wealthy treasury, and a kick ass army. Some decent spellcasters too. But... the victory conditions require you to go to war against other players of strong countries... like invading the Cimmerian heartland.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-border-kingdom/

DARFAR: Darfar looks pretty limited. The rulers aren't great, but they do have superb generals, espionage and an awesome starting wizard. The army is ok, and you start off poor, but the victory conditions are limited and doable.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-darfar/

JUMA'S KlNGDOM: Check out the Juma's Kingdom generals. They might not be able to rule effectively, but that court is primed for combat with superb magic and some pretty good generals and a hero that might actually survive adventuring. That's a lot of victory requirements, though, and you'd have to go to war with another player in Amazonia. Take the surrounding jungles and save Amazonia for last.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-jumas-kingdom/

KHORAJA: Ah Khoraja. Look at that. A superb general, superb diplomat, superb sorcerer, shitty hero, superb treasury, superb army. The provinces for a victory condition require you to take desert land in order to reach them. And it's a toss up becuase if your allies go to war you may be pulled to the north when you want to go south.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-khoraja/

KUSAN: Kusan starts with a really good hero-general. Maybe the best adventurer-fighter so far. I'd be tempted to send him out adventuring, but you would lose a general if he's killed. You've also got a ton of court officials that are superb spies. The troops are also pretty good as is the treasury. The victory conditions require you to take over a lot of uncontrolled desert land for the trade routes.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-kusan/

PUNT: This is a poor country, and you have a hero unit that just sucks. Your court is just a bit better than ok, but this might have one of the better armies of the jungle kingdoms and you do have good generals. Those victory conditions look tough, with at least one province having to be taken from another player. I'd consider passing on this one.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-punt/

TOMBALKU: The starting roster doesn't give us an indication of the white-black history of this country (sorry oscar), but it's geographic location gives some clue. Thought the victory conditions look tough, I do like that military and the treasury is good. Except for one superb general and the fact you start off with two wizards, that court is not very good.
http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-report-for-tombalku/

And here's a list of countries from the dude's website that I've plagiarized from: http://www.terrablood.com/kingdom-summaries/

Amazonia: Their military is roughly equal to their neighbor and age old enemy Juma’s Kingdom. They have the luxury of one set of warseasons of uninhibited expansion as well. Their court is stacked with great rulers, but lacks in magic and diplomacy.

Border Kingdom: This is the most difficult position in the game, and will require diplomacy in and out of the game, and no small measure of luck to survive. Surrounded by enemies, with only one, grudging, ally makes this an intriguing position and a challenge for any player, any time. Their military is inferior to everything in the area, and their court has good generals and heroes, but not much diplomacy, which they need more than anything.

Darfar: One of the most difficult kingdoms in the game. Their military is mostly archer units, which have trouble fighting melee battles. They also want a piece of nearly everyone in the area. Their court is small, but exceptional. They are built for war.

Juma’s Kingdom: Their single troop type is comparable in military to Amazonia, their court is a little more varied. They must be quick though to sneak out and pick up provinces before Amazonia picks them all up.

Khoraja: This is the best small kingdom military. They have heavy troops, more than even their neighbor Khauran. They have as good a court, and diplomacy. Like Khauran, they have Koth to the north as a shield, and can expand into the deserts early.

Kusan: The best diplomats in the game live in Kusan. This is another court kingdom, with variety, skill, and numbers. They’ll need to use it to survive, too, sitting so close to Khitai. Their military is passable, but not able to stand very well against the PKs in the area. They are very reliant on their court.

Punt: A very difficult position. They have a decent military, even if composed mainly of one troop type. They have a small, but very gifted court, and must use everything in their power to maintain ownership of the Gold Hills, one of the richest provinces in the game.

Tombalku: This kingdom is also one of the most difficult. They start with a weak court and a small military. But they have the best medium cavalry in the south, and can use it effectively. Their one help in the court is their monarch, who can’t rule, but is a good diplomat. They’ll need him to last very long at all.

Here's another resource:
http://grimfinger.net/HyborianWar.html

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I'm going to go with a point system. Go ahead and rank your top 3, and I'll give 3 points for every first place, 2 points for every second place, and 1 point for every 3rd place choice. At the end I'll tally up all the points and submit our combined top 3 list.

Here's mine:
1. Khoraja
2. Amazonia
3. Kusan

oscar
1. Tombalku

Strange Fellow
1. Darfar
2. Tombalku

baud
1. Darfar

So at the current tally, here is our list we would submit.
1. Darfar w/ 6 points
2. Tombalku w/ 5 points
3. Khoraj w/ 3 points
4. Amazonia w/ 3 points
5. Kusan w/ 3 points

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
New tally:

Here's mine:
1. Khoraja
2. Amazonia
3. Kusan

oscar
1. Tombalku

Strange Fellow
1. Darfar
2. Tombalku
3. Amazonia

baud
1. Darfar

Grimgravy
1. Juma’s Kingdom
2. Tombalku
3. Khoraja

Current combined tally:
1. Tombalku w/ 7 points
2. Darfar w/ 6 points
3. Amazonia w/ 4 points
4. Khoraja w/ 4 points
5. Kusan w/ 3 points
6. Juma's Kingdom w/ 3 points

Norfleet

So how does one even play this, given that your link appears to lead to a long-dead webpage from 1985, with no indication of a download?

This looks like some long-dead Nigerian scammer site, only less convincing.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So how does one even play this, given that your link appears to lead to a long-dead webpage from 1985, with no indication of a download?

This looks like some long-dead Nigerian scammer site, only less convincing.

It looks like it plays by sending email or actual mail.

Norfleet

That doesn't make any sense, though. Where is this mail going? Why are they trying to get money for a game that isn't apparently there? Where is the GAME?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That doesn't make any sense, though. Where is this mail going? Why are they trying to get money for a game that isn't apparently there? Where is the GAME?

From what I've understood (and if they're telling the truth and it's not a scam), you receive each turn the state of the game (like some map, army & hero lists...) and order forms, that you fill (send army A to place B, send C to scout, hero H on diplo in city Z...) and send them back. The guys on the other end receive the turn orders from everyone, update the state of the game and prepare the next turn. A bit like PBEM, but with a tabletop game and not a PC video game.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Exactly what baud said. I was a bit slow and registered last Tuesday. I received a notification that the registration should arrive in 2-3 days. Right now this is what our tally looks like and what I plan to go with when the registration arrives, unless we receive more votes:

Here's mine:
1. Khoraja
2. Amazonia
3. Kusan

oscar
1. Tombalku

Strange Fellow
1. Darfar
2. Tombalku
3. Amazonia

baud
1. Darfar
2. Kusan
3. Punt

Grimgravy
1. Juma’s Kingdom
2. Tombalku
3. Khoraja

ERYFKRAD
1. Tombalku

Current combined tally:
1. Tombalku w/ 10 points
2. Darfar w/ 6 points
3. Kusan w/ 5 points
4. Amazonia w/ 4 points
5. Khoraja w/ 4 points
6. Punt w/ 1 point

I'll receive the mail and will type in the text and explain what happens each turn. I'll ask the hive mind here for inputs and be the arbiter and submit our decided upon orders. I'm putting out the cash each round, too.

Norfleet

I suspect you are getting scammed. Why not send the money to an exiled Nigerian royal instead?

baud

Arcane
Patron
I suspect you are getting scammed. Why not send the money to an exiled Nigerian royal instead?

Hey, I know one. PM me and I'll send you the bank number, he just need a person of trust and a small deposit of 1000 US Dollars. In thanks, he will entrust you with the proceeds from selling his rolls-royce, watches collection and last two wives. I would have done it, but since you're a bro, I'll let you get the money, keeping a small finder's fee, mostly to pay for my expanses.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Here's mine:
1. Khoraja
2. Amazonia
3. Kusan

oscar
1. Tombalku

Strange Fellow
1. Darfar
2. Tombalku
3. Amazonia

baud
1. Darfar
2. Kusan
3. Punt

Grimgravy
1. Juma’s Kingdom
2. Tombalku
3. Khoraja

ERYFKRAD
1. Tombalku

Usury
1. Amazonia
2. Khoraja
3. Kusan

Current combined tally:
1. Tombalku w/ 10 points
2. Amazonia w/ 7 points
3. Darfar w/ 6 points
4. Kusan w/ 6 points
5. Khoraja w/ 6 points
6. Punt w/ 1 point

Wow. Darfar, Kusan, and Khoraja are now in a 3-way tie for third place.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Alright kids... so Christmas break is over and it looks like SSI finally delivered. We're Punt, which only got one vote from baud.

Yeah... we're fucked.

Advice from a website I found on Punt:
Punt: A very difficult position. They have a decent military, even if composed mainly of one troop type. They have a small, but very gifted court, and must use everything in their power to maintain ownership of the Gold Hills, one of the richest provinces in the game.

National History

Know, my Lord, of the history and heritage of thy people. We are Puntish as we have been from the dawn of time. Long ago, we became favored of the the goddess Nebethet, who led our people north to this blessed land that we now inhabit. Here we have grown strong. We have built our palaces in brick as the size of our kingdom has expanded with each generation. Our people are good warriors, and our rules wise. We are a people born to greatness even though our land is wedged between Keshan, with whom we have warred for generations, and the growing might of Zembabwei. The source of our civilization, and hope of our empire, lies within the gold hills of our central province. There, gold dust washes down clear icy streams, and thence into the Royal Treasury!

In recent years we have often defeated Keshan, but Zembabwei continues to gather her strength. It is from Zembabwei that our prophets have seen the greatest danger. We needs must keep the danger of our neighbors at bay, while establishing trade routes to the gold-hungry markets of the Hyborian west, for then our wealth and power will be unmatched in the southern world! Heed now well my words, my Leige, as I report to thee of the present state of thy new kingdom.

Royal Treasury

Know, my liege, that the political standing of thy kingdom is thus:

Punt can avoid the influence of Keshan at a Adequate level. Punt has no formal allies.

Characters

Know my iiege that on this day your characters await thy bidding.

The Chancellor of Punt is:

Name: Warchief Kitu Maputa ID: PUNT-CHA
Type: Priest
Province of Birth: Kassaii
Present Location: Kassaii
Province Ruler of Kassaii
Personal Combat : POOR
Diplomacy : POOR
Rulership : GOOD
Military Command : NONE
Heroism : NONE
Intrigue : NONE
Magic : POOR
Province Ruler of Kasaii.
Spells: Dispel Magic.

Adjutant General:

Name: Negek Shakaluzu ID: PUNT-ADJ
Type: Noble
Province of Birth: Southern Punt
Present Location: Kassaii
Province Ruler of Kasaii.

Name: Chief Irangi Lalibeha ID: PUNT-1
Personal Combat : ADEQUATE
Military Command : POOR
Heroism : SUPERIOR
Intrigue : ADEQUATE
Magic : NONE
Monarch of Punt.

Name: Chief Malowi Lalibeha ID: PUNT-2
Diplomacy : NONE
Rulership : EXCELLENT
Military Command : EXCELLENT
Heroism : EXCELLENT
Intrigue : SUPERIOR

Name: Gambila Maputa ID: PUNT-3
Diplomacy : GOOD
Rulership : SUPERIOR
Heroism : GOOD
Magic : EXCELLENT
Province Ruler of the Gold Hills.
Spells: Diplomacy, Fanaticism, Prophecy, Sunbane.

Name: Asoza Shakaluzu ID: PUNT-4
Type: General
Rulership : ADEQUATE
Military Command : SUPERIOR
Heroism : POOR

Name: Chief Macuta Lalibeha ID: PUNT-5
Rulership : POOR
Military Command : EXCELLENT
Intrigue : GOOD

Name: Philiza Segayeha ID: PUNT-6
Personal Combat : GOOD
Diplomacy : ADEQUATE
Heroism : POOR
Magic : ADEQUATE
Spells: Dispel Magic, Prophecy.

Name: Gorehk Longaan ID: PUNT-7
Type: Wizard
Personal Combat : NONE
Rulership : POOR
Heroism : ADEQUATE
Intrigue : POOR
Spells: Force March.

Name: Anglu Segayeha ID: PUNT-8
Type: Agent
Personal Combat : EXCELLENT
Rulership : NONE
Military Command : POOR
Heroism : SUPERIOR
Intrigue : EXCELLENT
Magic : GOOD
Spells: Diplomacy, Force March, Prophecy.

Name: Tyrina Madula ID: PUNT-9
Type: Agent
Rulership : NONE
Military Command : GOOD
Intrigue : GOOD
Magic : GOOD
Spells: Phantom Warriors (4 times),Bless, Strength

This is actually a really, really good group of characters. The only concern I have is the lack of a pure adventuring hero we could send off to attempt to gain treasure, and the older age of a lot of the characters which might be a bad thing later.

Troops:

Our troops aren't too bad either.

Puntish Spearmen
Troop Category: Medium Infantry
Missile Combat: Good
Melee Combat: Good
Morale: Good
Movement: 3
Cost: Moderate
At most 85% of troops can be Puntish Spearmen

Puntish Horsemen
Troop Category: Light Cavalry
Missile Combat: None
Melee Combat: Good
Morale: Adequate
Movement: 6
Cost: Very Low
At most 5% of troops can be Puntish Spearmen.

Puntish Archers
Troop Category: Light Infantry Archer
Missile Combat: Good
Melee Combat: Adequate
Morale: Good
Movement: 4
Cost: Low
At most 5% of troops can be Puntish Spearmen.

PROVINCES

We have three. The most important is the Gold Hills.

Kassaii, Province 133

Capital Province of Punt and seat of government.
Chances for defending military to Reach Terrain:
- Good chance for desert
- Good chance for forest
- Good chance for hills
- Poor chance for river
- Excellent chance for fortified
Moderate loyalty to throne
Levy spearmen once every 2 years
Wealth is Good

133rd Provincial Army
Bakah's 29th Spearmen
Mantis 18th Spearmen
9th Ragged Sapphire Spearmen
Isiro's Spearmen
Nahuda's 2nd Crow Spearmen
Toad Spearmen
Gold 12th Spearmen
Indigo Spearmen

Defensive Orders are to maneuver to fortified area if attacked and engage enemy at the province commander's discretion.

The Gold Hills, Province 134
- Good chance for river
- Excellent chance for forest
- Excellent chance for hill
- Poor chance for Open
- Excellent chance for fortified
Levy spearmen once every 5 years
Wealth is Superior

134th Provincial Army
44th Bloody Spearmen
Last Spearmen
Royal Spearmen
Labshaku's Argent Spearmen
Jopah's Elite Spearmen
Tabanoa's Spearmen
6th Maroon Spearmen
Middle 15th Spearmen

Defensive Orders are to maneuver to fortified area if attacked and engage enemy at the province commander's discretion.

he Gold Hills, Province 135
- Excellent chance to reach swamp
- Good chance to reach forest
- Adequate chance to reach hills
- Poor chance to reach open
- Superior chance to reach river
Levy spearmen once every 3 years
Wealth is Adequate

135th Provincial Army
Seal 10th Spearmen
Segaya's Mordant Spearmen
13th Brown Hawk Spearmen
Pure Beaver Spearmen
Engadi's Spearmen
Lady Kinsa's Hill Spearmen

Defensive Orders are to maneuver to river terrain if attacked and engage enemy at the province commander's discretion.

Offensive Armies

1st Imperial Army, IA-1, Total Troops: 15
Taanak's 45th Flaming Archers
Unstoppable 2nd Archers
Iluwea's Horsemen
Faithful Spearmen
Warchief Usan's Spearmen
Faithful Mantis Spearmen
Thulpala's Blood Spearmen
Fox Spearmen
Sabretooth's 45th Spearmen
Ezeon's Fighting Spearmen
Abeli's Disciple Spearmen
Kantak's Spearmen
Thulpala's Yellow Spearmen
22nd Spearmen
Akil's Sentinel Spearmen

2nd Imperial Army, IA-2, Total Troops: 15
Bersheba's Shock Spearmen
Proud Shrike Spearmen
Damas's Spearmen
Sabretooth Spearmen
Grey 48th Spearmen
Bambar's Hill Spearmen
Faithful Sentinel 9th Spearmen
Jabbuk's Finest Spearmen
Dolateh's Wild Spearmen
Asmura's Spearmen
Lacnah's Spearmen
Virmillion Spearmen
Dragon Spearmen
Scorpion's 1st Spearmen
High Spearmen

The 1st Imperial Army can move to attack different provinces. We can keep the 2nd to float on defense.

IMPERIAL GOALS

The rulers of Punt ever strive to conquer and control the following:
Kharamun Desert(218) of the Kharamun Tribes
Rain Forest(327) of the Western Jungles

VICTORY CONDITIONS

You will move closer to victory by increasing and fostering the economic strength of your kingdom. You may do this by conquering new and rich provinces, protecting your trade routes, and seeing to the prosperity and productivity of your kingdom.

You will make major progress towards victory by controlling:
Keshia(73) of Keshan
The Gold Hills(134) of Punt
Zamboula(248) of Zamboula
The Grasslands of Amazonia(357) of the Western Savannah

Map: http://grimfinger.net/HWKingdomMaps/HyborianWarWallMap.jpg

Ok, this is bad. We have Keshan to our west and we desire one of their provinces. We also have Zembabwei to our east. We desire one province way to the north near Stygia and another to the southwest near Amazonia and Darfur. We can't survive a two-front war, so we may want to send a diplomat to one or the other. We need to strengthen ourselves militarily and defend ourselves politically. I think we need to send a diplomat to sue for peace with Zembabwei. We shouldn't attack Keshan just yet. Instead let's attack south to the Jungle Fens (328) so we can start getting closer to the Grasslands of Amazonia. If we can take a series of provinces connected to those Grasslands, then later we can nibble away at Keshan's jungle (76) before attacking Keshia (73). Whatever happens, we have to hold onto The Gold Hills and it's gold dust.

This turn we must:
- Send commands to all 11 officers.
- Choose a ruler for Province 135 (Southern Punt)

This turn we should consider:
- Sending an officer to lead a delegation to either Keshan or Zembabwei in order to avoid a 2-front war.
- Assign officers to the 1st Imperial Army and attack a province of our choosing.
- Building a fortification in Southern Punt.
- Spend money levying more troops for the Imperial Army.
- Send a spy to either Keshan or Zembabwei.
- Have our better rulers improve the loyalties of one or more provinces.

Alright hive mind.... I need suggestions. I'm turning in our first turn this Saturday.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I remember seeing ads for this game when I was 10 years old in issues of VG&CE

hyborean-war-ad.png

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
So I have an update. I checked on the various goals of our neighbors. Keshan is closer to the Grasslands of Amazonia and also have it as a goal. They also have our own Gold Hills as their main goal. If we go north instead, we'll be racing against Stygia, although Stygia is also surrounded by hostile neighbors. At the same time, Keshan's western neighbor also has a goal to take over Keshan's Keshia province (which we also covet). Zembabwei is pretty tough (wyvern riders!) and focused on its eastern neighbor, so we may be able to ignore them.

Should I go north and ignore Keshan for now while hoping they are weakened by their western neighbors or should I take a huge risk and go against Keshan right away? Their defenders will outnumber us and they have two superior generals, but we have a lot of battlefield magic that might sway things in our favor with a bit of luck. If we fail our game will likely end quickly.

baud

Arcane
Patron
I'd say try for peace in the East with Zembabwei and prepare for an attack on Keshan (not sure to do this turn or not)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Play nice with the Zembabweians. Head south for Amazonia. The lands to the north on the way to Zamboula don't look appealing. Prepare for war with Keshan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom