Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's about compatibility with windows versions earlier than Windows 10. UWP apps won't run on Windows < 10. If anyone tries to install it on his windows 7 or 8, it seems the easiest way to check.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
So, before release I was told by Obsidian that the Microsoft Store version of this game was a Win32 desktop app, not a UWP app. Is that really true? How do you even check?

Doesn't seem to be the case, just open task manager when the game is running.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So, before release I was told by Obsidian that the Microsoft Store version of this game was a Win32 desktop app, not a UWP app. Is that really true? How do you even check?
If the game is installed to accessible folder where you can go normally and see the game files, it is Win32
If it is in WindowsApps folder that you cannot access without granting yourself special permissions, it is UWP

I installed it from gamepass but didn't check yet. I bet it is shitty UWP though. But at least the game works well.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did anyone figure out what N-Ray damage does?

Power to
Edgewater or the Greenhouse/Botany Lab whatever?
Is there a way to get the latter to move?
If you give power to Edgewater you can convince everyone to move back there and replace Reed with the leader from the deserters.

oh goddamn I wish I did this

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Edginess aside, gotta say the game pass thing is a p. good deal. The price shows as 1 US dorra a month for the first month and 4 British pounds after that for some reason (the UI and design is apparently done by total muppets). It's perfect for all the games I'd never buy at full or even half price but I'd like to try them out for a few hours and discard. I'm seeing at least 10 of those rn and it's still a beta.

I can see myself sticking with the sub for a few months.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've read some posts about the game not looking particularly good. Well, it seems it looks absolutely beautiful:
EHsf_tJW4AAcN-x

Is there any consensus on the game yet?

Is it what it appears? A fairly mediocre game with an interesting concept but with dogbrained writing?
I have a feeling the codex will reach consensus on this game much faster than what it took for PoE, and it won't be positive.
And just like with PoE, they will be wrong. :P

Terra

Cipher
Does this game support Nvidia Hairworks or AMD's TressFX? I want my short haircuts to be depicted as realistically as possible.

I'm sorry.

Trashos

Arcane
Passing any skill check also gives you a shot of XP, which creates a weird feedback loop where the more you invest in these skills, the more skill points you end up getting. Between the bonuses I got from my companions and the fountains of XP shooting out of every locked door and secure computer, there was basically no skill check I couldn’t pass by the middle of the game. Rather than crafting a unique character with their own way of addressing Halcyon’s challenges, I wound up becoming a jack of all trades with more skills than I knew what to do with, and it felt more disappointing than empowering
tbh same thing was in New Vegas, unless you ignored that INT was the only stat of any worth. with DLCs your level reached into 50s.

as universally expected and true for any aaa RPG, game always comes with 200% more xp than needed and 400 to 1000% more loot than needed.

This is why I never steal in open world RPGs; their terrible economy destroys itself anyway.

The issue here that in New Vegas all that was corrected with mods. As a matter of fact, *most* of that was corrected by Sawyer's mod. This is not an option for TOW.

Codex Year of the Donut
I've read some posts about the game not looking particularly good. Well, it seems it looks absolutely beautiful:
EHsf_tJW4AAcN-x

Is it what it appears? A fairly mediocre game with an interesting concept but with dogbrained writing?
I have a feeling the codex will reach consensus on this game much faster than what it took for PoE, and it won't be positive.
The environments are fantastic looking.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The combat feels fine, better than Fallout 4 if you ask me. Looks great as well, especially the environment.

Can't say much about C&C yet, but it looks promising from the first major quest alone.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
EHsf_tJW4AAcN-x

The environments are fantastic looking.
That's just a pretty skybox texture...

Art direction is pretty great (character design aside), but the game is just so bland in every other way. I was bored out of my mind 30 minutes into it, tapped out in about an hour or so. Explains a lot about them high ratings though, should be a hit on consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom