Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After a few more hours in the game, I don't think I have the will power to continue. I finished the first area and the game is just bland. It's not terrible, or even that bad, it's just so bland and boring. There is no hook. Characters are boring, and there isn't enough of them. Both the main city and the outpost are dead. The sandbox elements are lacking, it actually feels more like an MMO than a singleplayer RPG. It's static and there is no effort put into "quest satisfaction" - like how NPCs actually do what they are saying they are going to do. Nobody walks anywhere. Saved a girl and she just remained in place but then when I got to the city where she is from, she somehow got there before me. Lack of detail in environment. Like how one area was supposed to be abandon for months but the bodies there are still fresh. Also enemies respawn. They go back to the exact same spot they were in the first time, just to really grind in the feeling of MMO I guess.

It just feels soulless, and I don't want to call the game lazy because I think people probably worked hard on it, but holy hell I can't drop that feeling. That feeling and that I'm playing some kind of New Vegas imposter of a game.
Also I'm getting WildStar vibes from the setting, is that because of Tim Cain?

Recap of "I told you so":
Aug 7:
I want to make it clear for those who still don't get it - I'm not surprised to see unimaginative combat in a first person RPG. I'm annoyed at how Obsidian got to do their own thing, their own FPS/RPG, with better tech than the shitty Gamebryo, and the best they could do, the limit of their ambition was to make it like the nuFallouts. They refused to ask more of themselves, because apparently doing just enough is fine.

Sep 16:
Yeah, people are still trying convince themselves that this game will somehow be above average, despite everything else, just because it's Cain and Boyarski at the helm. It's sad to watch, that's why I stopped coming to this thread.

Oct 1:
The more passionate during pre-release, the more butthurt during post-release.

Oct 15:
Things that have sucked for decades and continue to suck in this game:
- The far-away flickering of textures and LoD
- Tree models are hilariously bad
- No wind effects. What is this, Skyrim?
- Huge discrepancy in face animations and face models quality, even companion NPCs faces and animations are pretty bad by today's standards
- Mooks wearing helmets that cover their faces is a cheap-ass design shortcut
- Braindead enemy AI, can't aim, doesn't use cover, melee enemies rush towards your guns, screams barks like "I'm reloading" even when he's the last enemy standing, who is he talking to? This gets boring before the first shot is fired.
- The strong independent woman - there are still writers out there who aren't tired by that cliche
- Token stealth mechanics, just to cross "has stealth" off the list of features

On the good side:
- I like the voice acting. It does more for characterization than the 2006-era face animations and it's miles ahead of the amateurish Deadfire "full VO".
- The humor, when it's not too forced and not asking the player "get it?"

If there is anything that will make me give this game a try, it would be the C&C, but for a player to care about C&C, the game has to hit other targets first, and I'm not convinced about ToW hitting those.

For a Tim & Leonard this is a huge letdown. If it's a game by these two, I would expect that I'd be hyped like I haven't been in years, instead I'm mildly curious

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'd say general gameplay is slightly worse than Kotor but it's not terrible

That's pretty bad, considering that Kotor gameplay was worse than story mode.

How can you even compare them? KOTOR gameplay is NWN RTwP combat mashed into a third person perspective, this is Fallout: New Vegas meticulously recreated in the Unreal Engine.

I think most people would say the latter was at least slightly better except for the most hardcore Gamebryo haters.
And here it is the AI trying to talk about games...

Tigranes

Arcane
dont give a shit what colour hair devs or npcs have, only actual rpg quality

nobodys even talking about the general plot or themes but it sounds like the bland awfulness of the writing overwhelms you before all of that even comes into play?

any decent c&c / well written quests?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
kMjQvtA.jpg
Try out Dyke.

Shadenuat

Arcane
hap to know Trigun-like weapons are in game

86512101.jpg

not sure I was supposed to get it considering my best pistol so far does 40 damage.

Shadenuat

Arcane
the dark side of itemization

86512106.jpg

u know it's better cause it has number 2 after name. :MI guess it's ok for people who maybe liked early game weapons but since they behave worse than improved versions (tactical shotgun is better in every way) this is basically korean loot piece.

Xeon

Augur
Is a there a storage in the ship? or do I get it after fixing it? Man, so far I am enjoying the game a lot but the inventory shit is getting on my nerve. The only thing I found so far is Cheat Engine cheats, might end up using it to give my self all Weight increasing Perks and deduct points later after I get the point or something.

Oracsbox

Uninstalled
It bored me,it looks horrible,the shooting is shit the A.I is brain dead mmo bollocks and the dialogue didn't interest me,unfunny jokes,characters and too much of it was juvenile.
I gave it a fair go,even tried to amuse myself by going spade only but it's not worth it.
The game feels old like a shitty Bethesda knock off
the universe is meh...it's empty dead.
On the plus side it only cost a £1 for the pass and I can try some other games I wasn't sure were worth a purchase.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is a there a storage in the ship? or do I get it after fixing it? Man, so far I am enjoying the game a lot but the inventory shit is getting on my nerve. The only thing I found so far is Cheat Engine cheats, might end up using it to give my self all Weight increasing Perks and deduct points later after I get the point or something.
there are shelves right near entrance, press "store in" button

Codex Year of the Donut
there are shelves right near entrance, press "store in" button
There's also a storage bin in your room

Xeon

Augur
Sorry, the 3 storages are empty and don't tell me what button to press to store things.
sqXT3aa.png

I don't think I have access to my room yet, the AI tells me the doors are sealed until I fix the ship.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
For those of you who are just starting this game, heed my advice: during character creation, do not, I repeat, do not, under any circumstances click/press the randomize button. Trust me, it may save your life.

In my entire years of gaming I have not witnessed more despicable, disgusting, fubar, lovecraftian looking creatures as those that parade your screen, each one fuglier than the one before it. Made me lose sanity faster than on Blasted Street.

I literally went from
:whatho:

to

:abyssgazer:

Yeah, don't do it. Don't press it. Whatever you created it's infinitely more beautiful than what gets unleashed upon the world if you press that button.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
The game feels old like a shitty Bethesda knock off
I've had no interest in even trying this game or following it because that's exactly the kind of game they stated they were setting out to make. Looks like they achieved their goal.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I must say that this writing is something else,i ended up washing the dishes in mid dialogue.

Also its tree structure is retarded,fallou4 level of retarded!

I'm imagining you wearing an apron and washing the dishes while a game character is talking about gender equality in the background all the while you're silently murmuring to yourself "fuck this planet"
Well single men tend to excel at household chores...
Nah i was topless(it is still warm here) and drinking vodka while puffing a cigarette. I just had to do something to feel alive,all that blandness was wearing me down.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
the dark side of itemization

86512106.jpg

u know it's better cause it has number 2 after name. :MI guess it's ok for people who maybe liked early game weapons but since they behave worse than improved versions (tactical shotgun is better in every way) this is basically korean loot piece.

spoiler please

you are oppressing me

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
i just finished the first planet.

the quests design is barebone. literally.

main location had 5 quests, secondary location had 2 quests and there were 2 main quests. that's it. for one planet.

calling it lazy is an euphemism.

the game is an unmitigated disaster. it might be better than fallout 4 (i did not play wildstar) but this is the only good thing i can say about it.

tim and leonard are now in the same club with warren spector and harvey smith. the self-immolation club.

a sad reminder that the decline is inevitable. these guys will never create anything close to fallout or arcanum. ever.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
EHvOeVxUYAEWi1B

Average Total Free Testosterone in this image: 100ng/dl (the scale for men is 250-1250), I totally understand why this game is the way it is. I weep for the future of the West. Supplicant beta males ruled by hamplanets and turbo bitch radical leftist women. Good times!

Looks like a fairly normal american dev company to me, honestly.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The NPCs do move from places to places. There are more people in the Bar at night.

Also the first town is empty because half of it's population is running loose and the town was in deep trouble and people are dying because plague and other shit left and right.

jf8350143

Liturgist
After you finish the main quest and get the ship flying you get a storage chest in your personal cabin on the ship.

Zer0wing

Cipher
these guys will never create anything close to fallout or arcanum. ever.
Arcanum was an accident of too passionate people from all needed fields coming together to make games. Suprising they lasted for three games straight.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
i just finished the first planet.

the quests design is barebone. literally.

main location had 5 quests, secondary location had 2 quests and there were 2 main quests. that's it. for one planet.

calling it lazy is an euphemism.

the game is an unmitigated disaster. it might be better than fallout 4 (i did not play wildstar) but this is the only good thing i can say about it.

tim and leonard are now in the same club with warren spector and harvey smith. the self-immolation club.

a sad reminder that the decline is inevitable. these guys will never create anything close to fallout or arcanum. ever.

the first planet basically a tutorial it opens up immensely once you leave the planet on your ship

Codex Year of the Donut
The NPCs do move from places to places. There are more people in the Bar at night.

Also the first town is empty because half of it's population is running loose and the town was in deep trouble and people are dying because plague and other shit left and right.
expecting people to read the dialogue is expecting too much

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom