Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Mikeal

Arcane
4bhxpf2xyct31.png

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Haha. No data from most of Africa. They actually had the data at one point, but sadly the google analysts were machete attacked to death by roving bands of tribals.

thesecret1

Arcane
CK3 should feel more historical compared to CK2. This was a goal.

:incline:
You forgot the sentence before it:
No crazy fantasy events (immortality, Satanism, child of destiny) at launch. Undecided if they will be added later, but if they will, there will definitely be game rules to turn them off. CK3 should feel more historical compared to CK2.
In other words "we won't put in devil kids, bears, or magical satanists at launch (but maybe later on, lol)"

Before hoping for more historicity, one ought to remember that they're, to this day, unable to code in a semi-capable AI in any of their strategy games. If they can't teach the AI to make use of game rules, what chance is there they'd teach it to act more historical?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
First dev diary from Henrik "Doomdark" Fåhraeus: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-0-the-vision.1265472/

Dev Diary #0 - The Vision

titus_gamevision.png

Greetings friends!

It’s my pleasure to finally be able to talk about what I’ve been working on ever since Stellaris came out (and before) - Crusader Kings III, of course! CK3 draws on the wisdom gained over CK2’s seven long years of expansions and patches - all the things we simply could not do in that game - and represents the natural evolution of Crusader Kings. Yes, CK3 is an evolution, not a revolution; it’s better across the board and does not alter the core CK experience. That said, we did not carry over everything from every expansion and update to CK2. Rather than trying to do full justice to the less appreciated systems, we decided to go deep rather than wide.

The main design goals with Crusader Kings III were:
  • Character Focus: Crusader Kings is clearly and unequivocally about individual characters, unlike our other games. This makes CK most suited for memorable emergent stories, and we wanted to bring characters into all important gameplay mechanics (where possible.)
  • Player Freedom and Progression: We want to cater to all player fantasies we can reasonably accommodate, allowing players to shape their ruler, heirs, dynasty and even religion to their liking - though there should of course be appropriate challenges to overcome.
  • Player Stories: All events and scripted content should feel relevant, impactful and immersive in relation to the underlying simulation. That way, players will perceive and remember stories - their own stories, not the developers’ stories.
  • Approachability: Crusader Kings III should be user friendly without compromising its general level of complexity and historical flavor. It’s nice if it’s easier to get into, but more than that, it should be clear what everything in the game is, what you might want to be doing, and how to go about it.
Now, you might say: “Cool, but I took the time to master CK2, bought all the expansions, and now it provides me an enormous breadth of options. Why should I buy CK3?”

That’s a fair question! As I mentioned earlier, we decided not to carry over all features from CK2, so if you play CK2 primarily for, say, the nomads or the merchant republics (the only faction types that were playable in CK2 but not in CK3), you might be disappointed. There are likely other features and content that will be missed by some players, but, in return, we believe that everyone will find the core gameplay far more fun and rewarding! To be clear, CK3 is a vastly bigger game than CK2 was on release.

I know this dev diary was short on details, but don’t despair - they will be revealed over the coming months!

Beastro

Arcane
EUIV and how it was handled was the big warning sign for me, I've been suspicious of their releases ever since.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I think it safe to assume their games will be shit until proven otherwise.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
  • There will be five unique graphics sets for clothes at launch: Western (European), Middle Eastern, Sub-Saharan, Indian, and Steppe. Everyone else uses whatever is the closest match. In terms of physical appearance, the new DNA system can represent all ethnicities, so we probably won't see face packs again. No era-specific clothing at launch.

• Clothing is partly based on rank. A Western Count and a Western Duke might wear a similar style clothing, but one wears linen and one wears silk and you will be able to see that difference.

• No more static event pictures. Events will feature the actual character models posed against some kind of background, and they can have props like knives, crucifixes, etc. Currently they don't animate to actually interact like getting into a fight.

• Tutorial is described as "Stellaris-like", and they've improved the ways the game can give you suggestions on what you want to be doing. More approachable, but not dumbed down.

• Custom religions you found can have Holy Orders. Not ready to talk much about that.

• The tech system is more tied to characters than it was in CK2, but not ready to talk about it yet.

• Councilor jobs like Steward are now an "office" that is placed on the map instead of a person, so you don't have to re-assign it when the councilor dies. The office itself can even still keep working without a holder, just at a very reduced effectiveness.

• The new Doctrines and Tenets are being used to represent more historically accurate versions of real heresies like Catharism. The AI will found these, and they are weighted to appear at the place and time they did historically. The AI will stick to founding historical heresies and won't abuse the system to create random weird ones. That's the player's job.

• Zoroastrians can still have incest, naturally, and you can reform any religion to allow it now.

• Historical events like the Mongol Invasion are in. Dynamic epidemics from Reaper's Due are not in, as they didn't feel that feature worked very well. No word on how the plague will be handled.

• Characters still get sick and are treated by Court Physicians.

• Provinces now have Development, which is like civilization value in Imperator. Tribes don't care about it but feudals get more taxes from it.

• Revolt Risk has been replaced by Control, which is going to work a bit differently.

• If your heir when you die is an old guy who has already invested all of his perks, you can respec his lifestyle tree once if it sucks.

• Splendour is like your Dynasty XP. It's used to buy Legacies, which are kind of like national ideas in EU4 and stay with your dynasty forever. One of these lets you increase the chances of inheriting congenital traits, if you want to create a dynasty of stong genius ubermensch. It's not realistic but it is a playstyle they want to support.

• Foreigners don't care about Dread, only your own vassals.

• Fleets are now handled like CK1. You just pay money to turn into boats. Naval combat is a possibility in the future. Henrik thinks it would be cool, especially for the Mediterranean.

• Vikings can still sail up rivers.

• There is a big dragon hanging out in the Terra Incognita on the Eastern edge of the map and it looks like they've left plenty of room to add China in the future. They wouldn't say anything about it. No Chinese Emperor interactions at launch.

• No plans for a CK3 to EU4 converter.

• You only need to siege the fortified holdings to occupy an entire county. Castles are automatically fortified, but cities and churches are not unless you have built walls in them.

• Factions are back. Peasants can now found factions. One example given was that Norwegian peasants living under a Danish king can found a self-rule faction, and Norwegian culture nobles will join them. Like a combination of a CK2 faction and a peasant revolt, very powerful.

• Henrik is not interested in non-dynastic play (Holy Orders, etc). Playable mercenaries are a possibility, being landless and using your armies to make money. Adoption is also a potential mechanic. Neither one will be in at launch.

• Much more events that deal with interpersonal drama and people important to the player, like family/friends/rivals.

• Events can look back at how the relationship between two characters has developed over many years and generate content for them dynamically.

• Poetry generator that will actually make your poetry better or worse based on character skill.

• Double the number of content designers working on CK3 as CK2 had at its height.

• Direct vassals will always matter. So the previous comment about Barons not being important doesn't necessarily apply if you're a Count.

• No crazy fantasy events (immortality, Satanism, child of destiny) at launch. Undecided if they will be added later, but if they will, there will definitely be game rules to turn them off. CK3 should feel more historical compared to CK2. This was a goal.

• There will be special mechanics for Crusades but they're not talking about that yet.

• Playing pagans feels "significantly different" from CK2.

• You can reform from tribal to feudal.

• Control is more of a short-term thing and Development is more long-term. For example, Control in a province is reduced when it changes owners but recovers quickly.

• Religions have degrees of relation. Abrahamic > Christian > Catholic.

• Eastern Religions are still more tolerant of heresies.

• Ecumenism: Catholics/Orthodox/Coptic don't treat each other as heresies for purposes of CBs and stuff. There are steps of tolerance. It's not just "True Faith, Heretic, or Heathen".

• Converting foreign rulers with your chaplain will not be in at launch.

• Investiture system and antipopes will not be in at launch.

• When you found a new religion, some vassals and some provinces will convert. Based on things like opinion modifier and traits (Zealous/Cynical)

• Terrain type has an effect on Development in provinces, but climate currently does not.
EDIT: No inventory system at launch.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
From the first episode of Yes, Prime Minister: "They will use salami tactics!" I love the irony how capitalist entities keep imitating communist tactics to screw their fans and customers. :keepmymoney:

Like I said before, there is no reason to buy CK3 at release (I learned my lesson with Imperator: Rome) until it gets more "complete" with proper EXPANTION-DLC (whatever term youngsters use nowadays). :deadhorse:

But let's try an be positive here. Some of these features are going in the right direction in my opinion. :incline:

Also who the fuck is Henrik? Can he be bribed? Can I send my Marshal to arrest him? so many questions...:|

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All i gathered from that shit is that religions are dead....lol we will see crusader kings without crusaders or religion :). It will become one big blob that you could change at will and end up worshipping Pantsu ButtonBelly. Woah,what a garbage.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
All i gathered from that shit is that religions are dead....lol we will see crusader kings without crusaders or religion :). It will become one big blob that you could change at will and end up worshipping Pantsu ButtonBelly. Woah,what a garbage.

All religions, except the religion of atheism, of course. Developers are on the atheist "crusade".

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I dunno, dynamic heresy is a good idea and the dynamic pagan reformation dry run for it was good (even if it did show that you really should always go for being Turbo-Pope of your own highly bloodthirsty religion).

thesecret1

Arcane
dynamic heresy is a good idea
A lot of the shit Parajews come up with is a "good idea". But then comes the execution and it's an awful, watered down abortion. There is nothing positive about dynamic heresies if they can't be made properly distinguishable from others, with their own mechanics, and of course lots of flavour. If the game doesn't recognize the difference between you being a catholic king and a fraticelli one, then it's completely wrong. Historical immersion is one of the key points of CK2, yet they keep neglecting it, often creating mechanics that end the moment you achieve them. Consider pagan reformation - flavour ends the moment you actually reform it. Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to at least make custom text for each one, so you get the same shit with a couple words swapped every time. It's better to have 2 catholic heresies with proper flavour and massive gameplay consequences (both internally and externally) than to have 20 "dynamic" virtually identical ones with no flavour. It boils down to the same argument between procedural generation and handcrafted content

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom