Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Prime Junta

Probably legit. This just happened

e6O71DG.jpg
:D :D :D

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
If you understand the implication of this congratulations. This is what Obsidian thinks of their player base. This is how the game treats your character. A joke directed at both you the player and your player character.

6kS1XSZ.jpg

You aren't a Commander Shepard on The Outer Worlds you are a Captain Cuckold. A sterile simpering spineless incel creature, I don't want a power fantasy and I don't appreciate this kind of disrespect.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I’ll give you one. Parvati. She’s a brown queer working-class young woman with an Indian name. Yet she talks and acts just like a ditzy white middle-class liberal Californian teenager

Er... she talks like she’s from the 1890s (more specifically, she’s practically a carbon copy of the engineer girl from Firefly, just with a bit more melanin). There’s plenty to criticize about TOW, but middle class California girls haven’t talked like Parvati in over a century. As for her ethnicity, why would half-Indian ancestry mean anything when she’s never even met her Indian mother? That goes double in TOW’s dystopian setting where no one has an ethnic identity anymore because they’ve all been superseded by new corporate identities. Sort of like how early nationalism subsumed tons of smaller regional identities into state sponsored national identities.

Back to the whole “dieselpunk deadwood” dialect used by nearly every NPC I’ve seen so far. During the tutorial zone I didn’t have strong feelings about it either way, but sometimes it really works and I’m connecting with it more on Groundbreaker. For example, right after you land, the dock official wants you to pass along a message for him, something like, “tell her the shipment’s not coming in any time soon, and if she’d be so obliged, to get off my ass about it.” Small line, but it could’ve come right from an episode of Deadwood—something Charlie Utter would say.

Also, Adelaide’s angry lines are pitch perfect if you cut off her electricity and even better if you oust Tobson to install her as the new factory leader. Incidentally,
it’s more nuanced than “hippy deserters good/corporations bad so let’s all love each other as people.” Adelaide’s feeding her people by using human corpses as fertilizer, and she doesn’t sound too picky about where the bodies come from. Soylent Green is people y’all. When you tell her she’s in charge, her top priority is digging up the whole Edgewater graveyard so she can put those corpses (Spacer’s Choice property) to work in a new garden. She’s not wrong, but her enthusiasm is ghoulish.

I think I’d be enjoying this more if I hadn’t just replayed Disco, but at worst the game is fine.

Codex talks about every character "talks like California girls/trannies" when in reality most of the people here didn't lives in California and wouldn't know how they talk other than watching them on TV or from internet. Which we all know is a completely "legit" and "reliable" way to know how people act.

Prime Junta

Codex talks about every character "talks like California girls/trannies" when in reality most of the people here didn't lives in California and wouldn't know how they talk other than watching them on TV or from internet. Which we all know is a completely "legit" and "reliable" way to know how people act.

I've lived there.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Anybody else notice that the black color/shadows in the game frequently have some sort of color tint to them? Dark green for example, or blue-ish. It's not the same everywhere, though. Like the black levels just aren't right.
I think that was a problem in Rage 1 for me also.

jf8350143

Liturgist
About 'wokeness' and gender issues, it really bears mention, that most of the NPCs in the game supposed to be just or sympathetic are female. Spoilers abound but hear me out.

Edgewater has Adelaide, the leader of deserters, supposedly a benign grandmother figure whose motives are outlined to generate sympathy, while Tobson is portrayed as some sniveling snake through and through. Funny thing is, even if you side with Tobson, there are ways to 'make right' and persuade Tobson to step down, who then uncharacteristically becomes acquiescent to close the loop on the questline. Who replaces Tobson? Why Adeliade, of course! Another example of this female male dichotomy is seen in the deserter camp where a male engineer who is clueless about his profession sends you on a chase to get some books for him while a runaway female who sought company of marauders is seen to be resourceful enough to not only survive the encounter but even considered a 'queen' among the feral group. No need to be rescued, she will go wherever she pleases, thank you very much.

Moving to the next location, Groundbreaker, the leader of the station is a female, the contact that Phineas has you meet is a major female NPC, and the Sublight boss who is portrayed as a resourceful broker in complete control is also a female. All with short hair. The only major male NPC I can recall is some crazed maniac with unique flamethrower and a sniveling Board idiot whose feelings for Hawthorne remains ambiguous.

Now onto the third location, I more or less start to abandon prospect of meeting any positive male figure, but I still remain hopeful. I unerotically thirst for any male character worth some measure of admiration now, practically in supernova duress. Then I meet Anton, character with the possibly worst personal qualities so far encountered in the game.

I have not felt this way before, but from Deadfire and on I feel this irritating and encompassing fatigue, of this male as archetype beaten mercilessly into subdued and compromised positions, sometimes I look at my male character and feel sorry for him for having a penis. Maybe I should break emergency glass with hyperweapon and raep across Japan.

But seriously, my enthusiasm for the game has fallen off pretty much, it is quite surprising even to myself. It is really too bad the first time I actively disdain a game for it, it had to be a Cainarsky game.

Adelaide was a fucking cunt who refuse to let the workers to join her community when you cut the power from edge water, being emotional as fuck and refuse to make any kind of agreement with the edgewater simply because she has a issue with Reed, even when she was suppose to be the leader of the deserters and doing so would kill all those people that followed her.

Reed is the one who is willing to sacrifice his life for the town people(inlcuding Adelaide and her deserters) to have a brighter future. You can even tell him "you can't live outside the town and you don't have to do it", yet he still willingly step down.(aka fucking kill himself)

What the fuck are you on about? Reed is the one that generates more sympathy from the player, not Adelaide.

Last edited:

GewuerzKahn

Savant
Outer Worlds sometimes reminds me of Fallout New California without the profanity.

Add some color and this could be a scene from TOW.

I gave up on this game. I only payed 1 Euro, but still I'm very disappointed.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If you understand the implication of this congratulations. This is what Obsidian thinks of their player base. This is how the game treats your character. A joke directed at both you the player and your player character.

6kS1XSZ.jpg

You aren't a Commander Shepard on The Outer Worlds you are a Captain Cuckold. A sterile simpering spineless incel creature, I don't want a power fantasy and I don't appreciate this kind of disrespect.

Not at all hugely ironic. But anyway this ends every argument that this videogame didn't have a socio-political agenda behind it.

So not only it's shit as a game, it's perpetuating societal decline too. One more reason to shit on it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whaddya know, my objecting to the wokeness of TOW seems to be turning shitlords into SJWs. I am truly an alchemist of shit

In other news IMO this is not an example of interesting, well-written, characterful dialogue, and it is very typical of TOW so far, occasional bouts of zaniness aside -- what I mean about full California shitlib:

5Uxs9vB.jpg

The fact that "leaving all the old world distinctions of race and nationality behind" means talking like the daughter of silicon valley yuppies is much more telling, to be honest. :M
But I guess it's easier for the writers to come up with rationalizations of why their world is so homogeneous (with shallow faux-"diversity" slapped onto it) than stop treating their home and immediate social environment as the axis mundi and the default state of every human being.

why the obsession with parvati? and apparently every character in the game speaks exactly like her and every character in this game is, in fact, a valley girl. be sure to put this blurb in the codex steam curator page next year, infinitron...

Morroweird

Educated
I'm starting to ponder the question: if I only play one popamole RPG during the remainder of 2019 should I pick this or Greedfall?

Prime Junta

and apparently every character in the game speaks exactly like her and every character in this game is, in fact, a valley girl

"Speaks" is inaccurate. "Thinks" is more accurate. There are very few characters so far who feel like they belong in the world. As I said earlier, it's like they took the population of Pismo Beach and got them to larp in this weird dystopic setting.

But anyway, I've bitched about this way more than I should have. This is a fun game about shooting marauders and critters in the head, my mistake was hoping for something more than that.

As to character builds, quests, and itemisation, so far it's been 100% by the numbers. Put points in your guns skill, do more damage with guns. Put points into science, upgrade your guns better. Put points into stealth, sneak and lockpick better. Quests are straightforward "I want you to do this" with sometimes another character going "No I want you to do that instead," and then you get to choose. Items are your usual tiered affair with a possibility to upgrade them.

There's nothing at all wrong with any of this. Fits like an old shoe. If you liked playing FO:NV you'll like playing this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder how many times this stupidity will be repeated by you or rusty.

You in the US may already be accustomed to crying discrimination every time something doesn't suit you, but not everyone is such a snowflake and many people judge games on their merits.

jf is a Chinese-Chinese bleeding heart, a real outlier.

Elizabeth Warren supporters are gonna love it.

Sawyer: :negative:

ace was a brand of juice, ace being the vitamins

ok, ive found what wlw means. women loving women

When "lesbian" and "gay woman" become unacceptable so you go with some weird abbreviation most people don't even know. All this garbage is the contemporary equivalent of byzantine etiquette rules for the upper classes :prosper:

(though to outdo her, she could have avoided this trap by calling her a homoromantic asexual)
p sure 'ace' stands for 'asexual' which, like self-diagnosed autism, is 99.9999% of the time just a justification as to why the person fails at relationships

I know an ace woman who's been cohabitating with a man for well over a decade. She just has no/low libido.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anybody else notice that the black color/shadows in the game frequently have some sort of color tint to them? Dark green for example, or blue-ish. It's not the same everywhere, though. Like the black levels just aren't right.
I think that was a problem in Rage 1 for me also.
The game's colors are oversaturated, it is one of the more frequent complaints about it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Anybody noticed texture pop-ins ? Like switching guns, and the textures on t he guns, take like half a second to load? is that normal?

Theres texture pop ins alot of places, im running everything ultra at 1440p.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
So, how bad is the SJW infestation? So far my impression is that between the writing and forced epic/microsoft stores, I can safely ignore this one.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
No one cuckolds me and lives.

Wow a mentally ill person is trying to tell me doing something good is wrong?

CKz3V3n.jpg

Now I just need to get Legion slave collar for Parvati and she can just fix my ship until I find a replacement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom