Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
why the obsession with parvati?

There are very few characters so far who feel like they belong in the world.

Divine Cömrade Prime Junta, wants her back on the Revachol plantation
rating_lulz.gif

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck, I only played 1 hour of this game, but it is a complete garbage in every possible way.

I thought it's gonna be the new Fallout New Vegas, instead I got... I don't know what to call it.

Dialogues are plainly stupid and so is the world around. It's naive beyond comprehension and nothing really makes much sense (I am still in the first area though)

It was already silly from the first NPC I met (the one that gave me a gun) as the whole dialogue was basically unfunny jokes.

Then I though "alright, maybe dialogues are stupid. That still doesn't mean that almost 9/10 score on metacritic by users is not deserved. I disliked D:OS silliness, and yet I enjoyed it enormously".

Alright, the first enemy! Let's hide behind a rock, aim and... bang! Right in his skull!

What the fuck?

*hits enemy 10 more times until he rolls over dead*

What the fuck just happened?

The world looks like shit too. Remember "Precursors" from 2009/10/11, the indie bugged Russkie game made probably by a bunch of friends drunk on vodka and high on crocodile? Not only did it have much better (half-translated half-mistranslated) quests, but gameplay was so much better and the world seemed so vastly bigger (and with much more content) while at the same time looking immensely better than this shit potato although I run it on Ultra settings. Even outside area in the Outer Worlds looks like a big room.

Maybe it's just the beginning. However, I already lost almost any hope.

At least the good thing is the game was not released on Steam, because I'd have probably bought it, instead I got it for 1€ on that Xbox-Windows derp herp cancer.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you understand the implication of this congratulations. This is what Obsidian thinks of their player base. This is how the game treats your character. A joke directed at both you the player and your player character.

6kS1XSZ.jpg

You aren't a Commander Shepard on The Outer Worlds you are a Captain Cuckold. A sterile simpering spineless incel creature, I don't want a power fantasy and I don't appreciate this kind of disrespect.

Uh boss
Cuckold is the guy that gets cücked
Cuckoo is the bird doing the cücking

Just an observation for you boss.
Carry on.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anybody noticed texture pop-ins ? Like switching guns, and the textures on t he guns, take like half a second to load? is that normal?

Theres texture pop ins alot of places, im running everything ultra at 1440p.
This is from Oct 15:
Things that have sucked for decades and continue to suck in this game:
- The far-away flickering of textures and LoD
- Tree models are hilariously bad
- No wind effects. What is this, Skyrim?
- Huge discrepancy in face animations and face models quality, even companion NPCs faces and animations are pretty bad by today's standards
- Mooks wearing helmets that cover their faces is a cheap-ass design shortcut
- Braindead enemy AI, can't aim, doesn't use cover, melee enemies rush towards your guns, screams barks like "I'm reloading" even when he's the last enemy standing, who is he talking to? This gets boring before the first shot is fired.
- The strong independent woman - there are still writers out there who aren't tired by that cliche
- Token stealth mechanics, just to cross "has stealth" off the list of features

Retarded: IHaveHugeNick Maggot Jenkem Rev
Fake News: Duraframe300 LizardWizard
You should read the retards less and my posts more.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Probably legit. This just happened

e6O71DG.jpg
:D :D :D
They are trying to censor how you name your own character in a single-player game?!

That's some real totalitarian mindset right there. Obsidian is basically a digital Soviet Union at this point.

And the worse thing is you are supposed to pay for the privilege of being censored by them!

Fuck these douchebags.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyhoo, since this is basically Firefly The RPG, I decided to roleplay Jayne from Firefly, the lovable-moron-muderhobo who just likes to blow shit up. So far dumb dialogue options are done nicely, so I'd recommend that kind of run for people triggered about lesbian hair and such.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are weapon mods fun? Do they alter weapons or just plain stat boosts?

How are the quirky weapons? Just gimmicky or actually helpful?

Is companion AI stupid? Can they handle themselves in combat?

How's enemy vareity?

Are there lots of different biomes or does everything look the same?

How's exploration? And how are cities? Are they "ghost towns" with few NPCs?

I've got more questions, but those will have to wait.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You know how gamorz are always pouting and making angry faces when you can't kill all NPCs in an RPG and be a an evil meanie and then everyone meticulously clears out every rat infested cellar, weeds out every hermit garden and tosses change to every street beggar? Including me ofc.

This is the first RPG where an evil playthrough is actually way more satisfying than a paragon one. Felt so good shoving my shotgun up Adelaide's asshole and pulling the trigger, then sending all her people back to Edgewater to trudge on in the local cannery, then turning the main quest in with Tobson and then shooting his spergy sadistic face off too. Being a murderous asshole in this ugly, hateful feminist dystopia is great.

Prime Junta

Are weapon mods fun? Do they alter weapons or just plain stat boosts?

Some alter them. Switch damage type, slap on a scope or a silencer, that sort of thing.

How are the quirky weapons? Just gimmicky or actually helpful?

At this point, gimmicky. I might change my opinion on this later.

Is companion AI stupid? Can they handle themselves in combat?

Pretty stupid, but yes.

How's enemy vareity?

Pretty much what you'd expect. You've got humans, beasts, and mechanicals, all of which come in ranged and brawler varieties. Additionally there have been a few heavies.

Are there lots of different biomes or does everything look the same?

Quite a bit of variety.

How's exploration? And how are cities? Are they "ghost towns" with few NPCs?

There's a lot to explore and the towns don't feel empty. My main issue with the exploration at this point is that the game just buries you in stuff wherever you go, which (1) forces you to trek back to a vending machine pretty frequently and (2) removes the motivation to explore in order to find stuff.

Having vending machines standing at every corner is a blessing so I can get rid of all the junk. It seems pretty important to keep your gear upgraded or else you'll be wasting masses of ammunition because of poor damage/shot, and you need dosh + parts for that.

Great. I didn't get to play as a communism-loving antifa since Disco Elysium. It was such a long time ago.
And this time, it's even better, I can play as a stapled-vagina feminist whore.
Thanks, Obsidian!:D

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What ranged build works for supernova?marauders need half an assault rifle clip each.
Don't use assault rifles, physical damage sucks balls.
Use plasma for live targets and shock weapons for robots. You're welcome.
You can use mods to change your weapon's element…
Is there any point to it? For instance is a plasma boosted assault rifle better than a native plasma rifle? Same with a modded shock rifle vs. native shock cannon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom