Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kyl Von Kull, what did you disagree with?

Anybody noticed texture pop-ins ? Like switching guns, and the textures on t he guns, take like half a second to load? is that normal?

Theres texture pop ins alot of places, im running everything ultra at 1440p.

Has been a standard feature of the Unreal Engine for well over a decade.

Great. I didn't get to play as a communism-loving antifa since Disco Elysium. It was such a long time ago.
And this time, it's even better, I can play as a stapled-vagina feminist whore.
Thanks, Obsidian!:D

Hey, welcome back. Flip-flopped on leaving forever I see. A bit surprised at the edginess though.

Xeon

Augur
I am in Groundwork or something, for a second I thought this section is huge since it has several floors and map is big but it only highlights sections of the map.

Ship got impounded right away, kinda wondering if I should have tried exploring other locations before trying to advance the story.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roguey Byzantine etiquette rules for the upper class. This is a generational thing, but we’ve been over this before. Besides, if you play the outer worlds it won’t be the first time you have a biromantic asexual in your party. You were a visionary with that IWD(2?) lineup.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is a generational thing, but we’ve been over this before.

She's only three years younger than I am. :rpgcodex: Her crowd is certainly not my crowd.

Besides, if you play the outer worlds it won’t be the first time you have a biromantic asexual in your party. You were a visionary with that IWD(2?) lineup.

It was the first one, and my LARPing is totally different from someone making a big deal out of it with a NPC.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
I am in Groundwork or something, for a second I thought this section is huge since it has several floors and map is big but it only highlights sections of the map.

Ship got impounded right away, kinda wondering if I should have tried exploring other locations before trying to advance the story.
That's no problem. Your ship is impounded for like 5min if you follow the green quest arrow.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

She's only three years younger than I am. :rpgcodex: Her crowd is certainly not my crowd.

Besides, if you play the outer worlds it won’t be the first time you have a biromantic asexual in your party. You were a visionary with that IWD(2?) lineup.

It was the first one, and my LARPing is totally different from someone making a big deal out of it with a NPC.

Not sure you can really be considered a millennial if you don’t have broadband.

Anyway, I don’t think they make a big deal out of it, unless you consider any discussion of non-straight romance a big deal. She has a crush on a girl, she’s nervous about it because she doesn’t like sex—it’s a couple of interactions in her companion quest. You can tell her to fuck off and concentrate on her work when she first brings it up and you’ll never hear about the asexuality. Anyone who gets that far has already voluntarily opted into the lezzie questline at least twice.

Shadenuat

Arcane
SCYLLA is the nicest looking region I've seen so far
Did you manage to open door in abandoned outpost? I assume it's quest locked? I went there right after tutorial.

Scylla was nice minidungeon, reminded me of those moons in Mass Effect 1.

Xeon

Augur
Keycards are consumables?

I pickpocketed a keycard and used it on one of two safes and the other I can't use it on because it gets consumed, that's kinda dumb restriction. Wonder if I wait long enough, it will eventually respawn in the guy's inventory, that will be a lot dumber and kinda of a needless hassle. No options to lock pick the safe for extra exp either.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But so far what is the biggest fail from me is that Fallout 4 seems deeper/richer combat mechanics wise, with more powerful/interesting perks and ways to game the Vats system and exploit the guaranteed critical hits system.

This appears to be closer to a simple shooter.

Try hitting Q to enter the time dilation mode. So long as you don't fire your gun while in that mode, you can stay in it for as long as you need to aim at specific body parts. Hover your aim over the different body parts to get a readout of the targets stats, as well as the possible status effects you can apply (such as cripple, stagger, maim, etc)

We essentially still have VAT's here, except it's not a % chance followed by a fancy cinematic. You have to aim and shoot the body parts yourself.

Yes, I'm aware of the time dilation mechanics. Though maybe I need to take my time more in that mode and study targets more - as I was always in a hurry in that mode.

But what I meant is that in F4 you have a lot of perks supporting VATS combat, as well as boosting critical hits - and "earning" and "banking" them. Plus "Legendary" weapons with unique mods supporting that playstyle. A lot of nice connected synergies.

Since I haven't seen much yet, maybe I'm mistaken. But it seems far less deep and more generic here.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Anyway, I don’t think they make a big deal out of it, unless you consider any discussion of non-straight romance a big deal. She has a crush on a girl, she’s nervous about it because she doesn’t like sex—it’s a couple of interactions in her companion quest. You can tell her to fuck off and concentrate on her work when she first brings it up and you’ll never hear about the asexuality. Anyone who gets that far has already voluntarily opted into the lezzie questline at least twice.
When it comes to "diversity", it pretty much go down like this:

On one side there are people demanding more of them in every shape and form. "Where is the black/LGBT characters? You are whitewashing XXX".

On the other side there are people goes "I don't mind black/LGBT/whatever people, as long as they don't come near me within 50 million miles, or appear on my tv or computer screen".

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
For anyone who understands the potato speak this is a great review, the best I've read so far. Even makes a great point comparing TOW with DE. Personally I would knock off one or two points from the rating but otherwise this is what a quality game journalism should look like.

https://www.gry-online.pl/S020.asp?ID=13608

This by far one of best reviews so far. Thanks for sharing.

But there's a serious flaw with , well a flaw for those who hates Tyranny and POE

>The latest Obsidian Entertainment games have fallen into my heart ( Pillars of Eternity II and Tyranny rated 9/10, I gave the first PoE only half a point less),

He actually liked POE2 and Tyranny so by this thread trolls high class members of this prestigious site standards, his opinion is invalid..

Jokes asides , even with the shitty google translator the review is seriously well written.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

So I've cleared the Rosewater... Rosebay... Rosemont... anyway, another of the regions, more or less. Bought a ticket to advance the MQ but I'll probably head off to do more companion quest nonsense at another location first. Been shooting raiders in the head, raptidons in the head, and robots in the head, with various types of ammunition.

Parvati's lesbian asexual romance shenanigans continue. She's now corresponding with the chosen of her heart, they kind of like each other, and are planning to go on an actual date. I helped her buy some soap and beauty supplies and now I'm in search of a casserole and pie. I just passed on helping another nice lady find her cigs which she dropped somewhere. I love to help people, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I have high speed internet, just in a restricted quantity. :M

What does asexual angst have anything to do with the themes of The Outer Worlds? Seems like a quest they put in there just to educate/lecture/social-signal. Additionally, it's a peculiar thing to angst about given the existence of Lesbian Bed Death. It'd be more believable if it was about two guys.

Veronica and Arcade's quests in New Vegas, a far-better-written game by the looks of things, had nothing to do with gay dating. It was an element of Veronica's issues with the BoS but not her sole defining issue, as it should be.

Prime Junta

... seriously sisters and bröthers ...

This is the very definition of mediocre. There's really nothing rage-inducingly wrong about it, it's just continuously failing to do anything at all interesting, exciting, thought-provoking, emotion-provoking, or surprising. It's carefully anodyne, calibrated not to offend anyone except maybe people who are offended at the very existence of women with short hair (let alone queers), runs well, pretty much bug-free, recycles tried-and-true systems, mechanics, and tropes anyone who's at all familiar with the genre knows like the back of their hand.

It's painfully one-note: that zany Brazil-inspired premise of corporate dystopia with retro aesthetics is the only thing it has going for it, and it keeps hammering at it with the subtlety of a pneumatic drill. I'm hoping there will be some development around that theme at some point but so far I got squat. As that Polish review said, this is GOTY 2012. But shit's moved on since then and 2012 wasn't a great year for RPGs anyway.

Am disappoint, Cainarsky. I was hoping for something a bit more creative, especially as Cain at least has been going on about how he wants to innovate and reinvent the RPG genre and what have you. Are the old masters really ALL complete burnouts?

What does asexual angst have anything to do with the themes of The Outer Worlds? Seems like a quest they put in there just to educate/lecture/social-signal. Additionally, it's a peculiar thing to angst about given the existence of Lesbian Bed Death. It'd be more believable if it was about two guys.

It's not even about asexual angst, that could actually be interesting. It's completely banal teenage relationship angst, if she wasn't angsting about her asexuality she'd be angsting about her nose, or her thigh gap, or something else that's equally banal. Again, maybe there will be some giant twist to it later but so far, nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom