Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Ysaye

Arbiter
1. TiTS FC
2. TiTS SC
3. TiTS T3rd
4. TZero
5. TAzure/Ao
6. ToCS 1
7. ToCS 2
8. ToCS 3
9. ToCS 4

There is also a gatcha game and a cross game between Ys but I'm not counting those....

Deleted member 7219

TOCS 3 collector’s edition came today. Really nice character guide, art book, postcards, soundtrack CD and Mishy plushie.

I imported my save from the demo and played a few minutes of Chapter 1, post-prologue, but I was working today and then I went out to win a pub quiz tonight so I didn’t get to play much.

Really excited about this, though. It’s going to be great. Might get up early tomorrow morning to get an hour in before work.

Deleted member 7219

I'm about 11 hours into TOCS 3. About 2 of those hours were spent grinding to try to defeat the 2nd boss on Nightmare difficulty. Eventually I gave in and reduced the difficulty to Hard and managed to get him.

Now I've gone out on my first assignment and met a few old pals. Not spoiling anything but this really is a sequel to TOCS 1 and 2. The new characters are interesting and all but you can tell they haven't been brought in at the expense of old characters. Plenty of story to go around.

I was worried they had simplified the combat but they haven't. The button remapping is just that. Rather than navigate a radial menu to select your attack commands, you pick them using the gamepad buttons. That's it really.

The main gameplay is still the same too - main story missions interspersed with time spent back on campus, free days, bonding points, people to talk to, books to read, fishing to do, and a new card game which is basically Hearthstone with a grid.

Pretty good so far but too early to make a full assessment. But it is definitely Trails.

Endemic

Arcane
:?

6u4x3xincsu31u4jee.jpg

Ysaye

Arbiter
I'm about 11 hours into TOCS 3. About 2 of those hours were spent grinding to try to defeat the 2nd boss on Nightmare difficulty. Eventually I gave in and reduced the difficulty to Hard and managed to get him.

Now I've gone out on my first assignment and met a few old pals. Not spoiling anything but this really is a sequel to TOCS 1 and 2. The new characters are interesting and all but you can tell they haven't been brought in at the expense of old characters. Plenty of story to go around.

I was worried they had simplified the combat but they haven't. The button remapping is just that. Rather than navigate a radial menu to select your attack commands, you pick them using the gamepad buttons. That's it really.

The main gameplay is still the same too - main story missions interspersed with time spent back on campus, free days, bonding points, people to talk to, books to read, fishing to do, and a new card game which is basically Hearthstone with a grid.

Pretty good so far but too early to make a full assessment. But it is definitely Trails.

About the same amount in after last night. Some initial random thoughts:

(1) Was a bit worried about the translation but apart from some of the voice acting having different things to say then the text it is fine so far and I have laughed at the jokes (which I think only work if they translated well enough - some of them were probably "in-crowd" jokes though?). I am surprised how much has been voiced actually.
(2) I was a bit worried about the brave mechanic in combat before actually playing the game but now that I am playing it seems fine.
(3) Is it just me but is the up/down controls for the camera counter-intuitive?
(4) It seems the new Class 7 is a small collection of Star Trek character tropes (Kurt is either Spock or maybe Tuvok, Altina is basically Data).
(5) Aurelia's opening speech was hilarious and sad in equal parts and reflected what I thought of her character and sets the tone for the game.
(6) It's nice to see that the detail with respect to characters going back to the Sky series.

Deleted member 7219

Is there even a guide for 100% like the first two? And what's the import involve?

I’m sure they are working on the GameFAQs guide now. All the previous Trails games that made it the west have excellent guides. Should be out by the time of the PC release.

I have heard from those of a Japanese persuasion, and weeaboos who have played the Japanese versions, that CS4 imports CS3 endgame saves but I don’t know what and don’t want to know either because of spoilers. I’d assume it would be similar to CS2.

Deleted member 7219

If you want to see the old Class VII again, and travel / fight alongside them, you won't be disappointed.

Ysaye

Arbiter
If you want to see the old Class VII again, and travel / fight alongside them, you won't be disappointed.

Also if you want to see how characters from the first two trails series have developed, you won't be disappointed.

Also the rest of Thors students get a great treatment in terms of their progression.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finnished CS3 last week, was better than CS2 and maybe even better than CS1. I really hope in CS4

We could finally beat some strong enemies and not same bs where enemies were just fucking around and in cutscenes show their true strength. Ending was quite a cliffhanger and final boss was too easy maybe easiest so far in trails series. Nightmare was only little challenging at start which is quite typical for all trails games until earth wall / one shotting bosses with right setup (probably died around 6 times total and 4 was against second boss had to even restart simulation and get right equipment from store). Break mechanic was good addition to combat. Gonna be long wait for CS4 after that ending :negative:

Deleted member 7219

Finnished CS3 last week, was better than CS2 and maybe even better than CS1.

What difficulty? I downgraded from nightmare to hard and have hit a stumbling block.
Principal Aurelia on the free day in Chapter 2. I’m sure I have to beat her if I want full points.

Hyperion

Arcane
I'm on my 4th attempt to try and play Cold Steel (same number it took me before I got into FC) and I just can't do it. The combat is better than TiTS, but I can't get past the school stuff. Keeps coming across as a Persona ripoff, but with even more missable stuff.

I'm still in Chapter 1, just beat the Minos Demon, and every single character is unlikable, and / or boring. It just feels even more animu than TiTS FC, and I just can't get into it. I just want to kill shit, not be quizzed on backstory I don't really care about.

Gearmos

Educated
I'm on my 4th attempt to try and play Cold Steel (same number it took me before I got into FC) and I just can't do it. The combat is better than TiTS, but I can't get past the school stuff. Keeps coming across as a Persona ripoff, but with even more missable stuff.

I'm still in Chapter 1, just beat the Minos Demon, and every single character is unlikable, and / or boring. It just feels even more animu than TiTS FC, and I just can't get into it. I just want to kill shit, not be quizzed on backstory I don't really care about.

If you don't care about the writing and don't like the characters, there's no point in keeping playing. I mean, it's the strong point of the Trails series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom