Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

5 Best PS1 Jrpg's Poll

5 Best PS1 jrpg's ? (PS1 JRPGS ONLY ! NO PORT/REMAKE FROM SNES !)

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I've been playing a lot of jrpgs games lately,most from SNES,i want to play ps1 jrpgs now,i want to play and beat atleast the 5 best jrpgs from ps1,in ascending order.help me to decide which games to play.

The only PS1 jrpg i've ever played is Final Fantasy 7.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Saga Frontier is excellent granted you don't mind some utterly retarded level scaling, everything about it is top notch except for the level scaling.

I've always liked the character skills to solve puzzles in Wild Arms series, Wild Arms 1 also has one of the best intros ever.

Final Fantasy 7 & 9 are great.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good thread~ The jrpg thread cover too wide and thus not specific enough.

Right on. I've only played maybe 1/4 of the games on this list, so I'm looking forward to what comes out on top. It will give me an excuse to get back into PS1 games. Some of these games I never even heard about before now. Glad to see Final Fantasy Tactics on top so far. What an excellent game that was.

Disciple

Savant
Some other titles the poll lacks, just for the sake of completionism (not including SRPGs):

-Brave Fencer Musashi (ARPG)
-Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (roguelike)
-Digimon World 2
-Legend of Legaia (it drew some comparisons to FF at the time)
-Torneko: The Last Hope (roguelike)

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
In looking back, Suikoden 2 is still an awesome game, whereas Lunar is kind of "okay" as is Grandia and Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Tactics feels meh now.

jungl

Augur
Its funny how out of every single game in this list I would consider final fantasy tactics the most boring to play. Legend of legaia was lot of fun first jrpg where you really see gear progression. Game had lot of pros good story, combat. It was extremely hard for that games sequel to live up to it which it didn't but was okay game.

Vorark

Erudite
Hard to limit to just five, but for the sake of variety and to spice things up, considering you're coming from the SNES, I'd go with:

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VII
Parasite Eve
Valkyrie Profile
Koudelka

Oh, if you ever bother to play Digimon World 3 (yes, it's good despite the amount of random encounters), go with the European version instead (Digimon World 2003) 'cause it has a post-game.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Its funny how out of every single game in this list I would consider final fantasy tactics the most boring to play. Legend of legaia was lot of fun first jrpg where you really see gear progression. Game had lot of pros good story, combat. It was extremely hard for that games sequel to live up to it which it didn't but was okay game.

FFT reminds me of another PS1 game, that being Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, and I really want to put that particular game out of my head forever...

jungl

Augur
vanguard bandits is a lot better game then final fantasy tactics. There is no grinding so its a actual SRPG. Story is a lot better and combat more fun.

Kaivokz

Arcane
There are a few on here that I haven't played which I would like to. Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Jade Cocoon. Voted for games I enjoyed playing when I was younger though. Arc the Lad II because the setting felt different enough from generic fantasy, I enjoyed the story around Elc and all that, and I prefer tactical RPGs. Wild Arms mostly because the setting was unique and enjoyable. Legend of Dragoon is rather generic JRPG but I think it's better than any of the PSX Final Fantasies. Lunar 2 and Grandia both have great soundtracks by Noriyuki Iwadare, the characters are fun and the stories are nicely light-hearted and focused. The PSX era of Final Fantasy games all went batshit insane for the 2nd half or last 1/4th of the game. Kind of fun to just see how much more ridiculous they can make it (try to guess who is a clone of who and how many different dimensions you'll go through and...), but at the end of the day a simpler, more coherent, story stands up as a more enjoyable experience for me. Though if you play Lunar 2 you should not play it on PSX; play it on Sega CD... which I guess goes against the spirit of the poll. I'd probably switch to Star Ocean (one of the better scifi stories) or Tales of Destiny (some cool concepts: sentient weapons, lost technology, an early story-related game-over) if you particularly want to play on a PSX.

So should i play:

Suikoden 2 > Vagrant Story > Final Fantasy 9 > Xenogears > FF tactics

sounds good to me !! i will start with suikoden 1 first though,before i jump to 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom