Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Picked up character with no inteligence. Stat said i would get Dumb options in dialog. Got like 7 of them and all of them bring literally nothing and most of the time character just speak normally.

So, what was the fucking point of it ?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh hey, ESRB description. I looked it up earlier this week but it wasn't there, I guess to avoid spoilers.

Blood and Gore
Intense Violence
Strong Language

This is an action role-playing game in which players assume the role of a colonist in a space colony. From a first-person perspective, players explore an open-world environment, interact with characters, complete mission objectives, and battle alien creatures. Players use blasters, machine guns, and shotguns to kill creatures and human enemies in frenetic combat; action is highlighted by slow-motion and blood-splatter effects. Players can also shoot and kill civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress. Some attacks result in decapitation and dismemberment of creatures; one area depicts a dismembered corpse amid a large bloodstained environment. Cutscenes depict additional acts of violence: a man shooting himself in the head; a character executed off-screen. The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “a*shole” are heard throughout the game.

All sex of any kind continues to be scrubbed out of Mature-rated games. The first Tim and Leonard game with no prostitutes whatsoever (they put 'em into ToEE, Atari forced em out; you can get 'em back in with a patch). No whores in Corporate Whore world. :M

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Oh hey, ESRB description. I looked it up earlier this week but it wasn't there, I guess to avoid spoilers.

Blood and Gore
Intense Violence
Strong Language

This is an action role-playing game in which players assume the role of a colonist in a space colony. From a first-person perspective, players explore an open-world environment, interact with characters, complete mission objectives, and battle alien creatures. Players use blasters, machine guns, and shotguns to kill creatures and human enemies in frenetic combat; action is highlighted by slow-motion and blood-splatter effects. Players can also shoot and kill civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress. Some attacks result in decapitation and dismemberment of creatures; one area depicts a dismembered corpse amid a large bloodstained environment. Cutscenes depict additional acts of violence: a man shooting himself in the head; a character executed off-screen. The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “a*shole” are heard throughout the game.

All sex of any kind continues to be scrubbed out of Mature-rated games. The first Tim and Leonard game with no prostitutes whatsoever (they put 'em into ToEE, Atari forced em out; you can get 'em back in with a patch). No whores in Corporate Whore world. :M
Got to keep it pure mate. Can't have sex, it might end up as rape in the game. And it might offend someone who has no intention of buying or ever playing the game. It might also offend someone who does not play games at all.

Skdursh

Savant
Whaddya know, my objecting to the wokeness of TOW seems to be turning shitlords into SJWs. I am truly an alchemist of shit

In other news IMO this is not an example of interesting, well-written, characterful dialogue, and it is very typical of TOW so far, occasional bouts of zaniness aside -- what I mean about full California shitlib:

5Uxs9vB.jpg

All of those possible responses are essentially the same thing just phrased slightly differently. Where is the option to tell her to quit whining, shut the fuck up and get back to work?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Whaddya know, my objecting to the wokeness of TOW seems to be turning shitlords into SJWs. I am truly an alchemist of shit

In other news IMO this is not an example of interesting, well-written, characterful dialogue, and it is very typical of TOW so far, occasional bouts of zaniness aside -- what I mean about full California shitlib:

5Uxs9vB.jpg

All of those possible responses are essentially the same thing just phrased slightly differently. Where is the option to tell her to quit whining, shut the fuck up and get back to work?
:hero:

As brazilian i can't name my character Bicha, Bixinha , Bichinha ,veadao , veadinho , veadinhos and the other 30 way to call someone a fag here in brazil.
:negative:

Call your character "Dom Poes" - Dumb Cunt or "Moffie" - Faggot. That's from my language

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This game seems to prove that West and East are going to be two different worlds from now on. USA developers have become way too different compared to the normal world and their entertainment will no longer click with us. Something like this is already happening in the movie world where many audiences are already rejecting shit stuff like new Star Wars or new Star Trek.
Even in the USA, I feel like the population is polarizing in more than just political leanings, although I don't know how much is tied to geography vs. generation.

Skdursh

Savant

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This game seems to prove that West and East are going to be two different worlds from now on. USA developers have become way too different compared to the normal world and their entertainment will no longer click with us. Something like this is already happening in the movie world where many audiences are already rejecting shit stuff like new Star Wars or new Star Trek.
Say what you will about Japanese games. But most Japanese devs simply don't give a shit and won't censor. That's why so many games from Japanese devs are going the Nintendo Switch route because PS4 has a shit ton of censorship with Japanese games. Since Sony moved their playstation operations and game approval divisions to California they have been censor happy. So if there are multiplat games then the Switch version in uncensored and the PS4 version is censored.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I can't be arsed starting new game to check if that world filter exists, but if it does, it's the dumbest shit ever devised. It's like they are asking to be review bombed.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You know how gamorz are always pouting and making angry faces when you can't kill all NPCs in an RPG and be a an evil meanie and then everyone meticulously clears out every rat infested cellar, weeds out every hermit garden and tosses change to every street beggar? Including me ofc.

This is the first RPG where an evil playthrough is actually way more satisfying than a paragon one. Felt so good shoving my shotgun up Adelaide's asshole and pulling the trigger, then sending all her people back to Edgewater to trudge on in the local cannery, then turning the main quest in with Tobson and then shooting his spergy sadistic face off too. Being a murderous asshole in this ugly, hateful feminist dystopia is great.
Just wait until you've tried it in the real world.

honkhonk.png

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Say what you will about Japanese games. But most Japanese devs simply don't give a shit and won't censor. That's why so many games from Japanese devs are going the Nintendo Switch route because PS4 has a shit ton of censorship with Japanese games. Since Sony moved their playstation operations and game approval divisions to California they have been censor happy. So if there are multiplat games then the Switch version in uncensored and the PS4 version is censored.

:lol::lol::lol:

When uncensored games can only exist in their pure and unadulterated form on fucking Nintendo of all the places - you know the world is coming to an end.

Perkel

Arcane
Obsidian state reminds me of Bioware. They were fine for some time and then gradualy went to shit as focus testing took over and killed their spark that gave them status.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

:lol::lol::lol:

When uncensored games can only exist in their pure and unadulterated form on fucking Nintendo of all the places - you know the world is coming to an end.
What a time to be alive

Skdursh

Savant
I'm going to spend some time today and see if I can mod out the filtered word list, then make a bunch of characters will various racial and otherwise insensitive names and post screenshots of all of them tagged to Obsidian from a bunch of sock Twitter accounts. See how many people it riles up.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't be arsed starting new game to check if that world filter exists, but if it does, it's the dumbest shit ever devised. It's like they are asking to be review bombed.
Probably has something to do with Twitch Streamers. The beards too.

Absolutely. They've put that kind of censorship in a single-player RPG because nowadays every mildly popular game will be streamed on some kind of service. That's still not good enough of an excuse because:
1) this is an M rated (age 18+) game so putting offensive or downright hateful content is permissible, if not outright expected
2) if some of the streamers (who should be of legal age in the first place to stream an M-rated content) are dumb enough to abuse it - the service is there to suspend their accounts

Self-censorship is pathetic, but unfortunately, it definitely isn't an unseen behavior when it comes to game developers, especially Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom