Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with most intelligent puzzles

Are you guys implying Dark Heart of Uukrul has more intelligent gameplay than Ultima Underworld? I am skeptical. Anyone played both? octavius Fowyr

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are you guys implying Dark Heart of Uukrul has more intelligent gameplay than Ultima Underworld? I am skeptical. Anyone played both? octavius Fowyr

It depends on what you mean by intelligent.
UU has more logical and not too hard puzzles. Uukrul's puzzles are more abstract and some, like the crossword puzzle, brutally hard.

UU is more like a simulation, while Uukrul has more abstract gameplay.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Does Return of the Obra Dinn count? Because then it's Return of the Obra Dinn.

I thought about getting it a while back, is it good?

Absolutely. It's one of the very rare (As far as I'm aware) detective games where you actually have to use your own sense of deduction to solve the puzzles, rather than selecting the right questions from a list, like the sherlock holmes games or LA Noire. If there actually exists more games like Obra Dinn, I'd very much like to know!

Hyperion

Arcane
Lufia 2

Golden Sun and its sequel The Lost Age
Shining the Holy Ark
Brain Lord
Alundra
Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria (platforming + puzzles)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yep, pretty much that Octavius said. DHoU has a lot of navigational and more abstract puzzles. It has a crossword puzzle, it has a cube maze, it has shitton of spinners and unmappable areas.
EDIT: Some puzzles of Wizardry 4 trump even DHoU. That invisible maze was great.

Last edited:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
1st: The Talos Principle, it uses SS3 engine and has a really immersive soundtrack.
The Talos Principle handled its philosophical ''artsy'' side better than any other game I've played, and the way you find all the hidden puzzle pieces was just brilliant.

The best gaem evar said:
Last night I had a simple but brilliant idea. Everyone who would like to write about philosophy or spirituality, especially to make some kind of grand statement about the nature of the body and the soul, should first experience a really bad tooth infection. I don't just mean a slight toothache, I mean the kind of hardcore infection that happens when several incompetent dentists miss a cavity in one of your back teeth and the thing keeps growing and growing until the nerve itself is really badly infected.

I mean, the pain is *unimaginable*. It comes in waves, and these waves drown out everything else about you. You can't talk, you can't move, you can't think, there's just pain and absolutely nothing else. It's like your brain just gets hijacked by it.

And then? You go to the dentist, and (assuming you get a decent one) they stick some chemicals in you, which make you go numb. Then they drill a hole in you, cut the nerve - snip snip - and it's over. Just like that, like repairing a car or a watch. Your whole existence was crippled by this tiny, tiny nerve sending electrochemical signals into your brain, and this unimaginable pain, which nearly blotted out your very consciousness, can be stopped just by a little cut.

We should call this the Toothos Principle, but that's incredibly stupid.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The first half of Fez is great, but the second (optional) half is all about autistic puzzles that require out-game logic.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm going to assume that by intelligent you mean something along the lines of 'intellectually stimulating, requiring little/no pixel hunting or busywork'.

Most adventure games are thereby immediately discarded. For more traditional puzzles I would concur with upthread about Obra Dinn and Talos Principle.

For more open ended puzzles, I would recommend factorio(although there is some busywork in this one). I also hear good things about the zachatronics games, but I couldn't get into any of them personally.

HansDampf

Arcane
If you mean puzzles in RPGs or other non-puzzle games, I can't recall anything that stands out. Maybe the Zosma Tower from Baten Kaitos? It's been a long time, but I remember it giving me headaches.
But if you want challenging puzzle games: SpaceChem, Stephen's Sausage Roll (starts simple, gets crazy), Baba Is You. These are among the hardest I've played.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Obviously the riddles in Krondor.
A subtle set of not puzzles per se but obscured information are found in the first Witcher game: For instance Alzur's surviving apprentice and mistress still remaining in the area. The hints concerning Azar Javed and his foibles. Who works for who in the Temple Quarter. Jacques identity etc.

Gerrard

Arcane
Puzzles in RPGs require you, the player, to solve them using your own intelligence, and not determined by your characters' stats, therefore games that feature them are not RPGs.
:rpgcodex:

J1M

Arcane
SpaceChem and The Witness both start with simple concepts and challenge you to apply and combine them in increasingly difficult ways.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom