Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Finished first playthrough. Played on hard and did most of the sidequests. Took something between 16-18 hours.

Wtf? You finished it in less than 2 days since it came out? 18 hours in 2 days? That's like 9 hours a day? How? Why?

Binged it since I have a free weekend and it kept me interested enough.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Man, what the hell. My play time is almost at 16h and I still haven't stepped foot at Monarch and there are 2 or 3 other planets I think beside it to explore that are shadowed out as well and you guys are finishing it already?

Same, i'm like 8h hours and just starting Groundbreaker.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It is interesting that game has alternative 5 hours playthrough, but it has a problem of beginning basically after tutorial meaning you skip 99% of content. It is somewhat close to Kan Hua from Arcanum, but in Arcanum you would have played most of the game by that point. It is nearly not the same as New Vegas either, where the endgame branches for different factions/variations on the story.

I take it the NPC switch happens captured princess style,
canon villain is probably leader of Halcyon, but alternatively your scientist savior replaces him if you serve the Board

I wonder if there is other branching possible but I am not sure about this, since the change looks a bit awkward.

I spoiled myself main plot for this, and imo plot twist/overall main plot becomes ok. Not needlesly epic, but interesting anyway.

However, the meat of the game, i.e. side quests and cities and quests in them is on far lower quality.

Also, main plot somewhat... makes you actions meaningless in the long run I think. Anyway, if anyone wants to spoil themselves, at least the part of main tweest:
the whole colony is dying due to shit bureocracy/degeneracy and food shortage, which is why you see colonists turn to shit as they live on on carefully dispensed appetite supressers and rationing, while rich live in their Byzantium in luxury

the good Board gal (she is black smart lady) doesn't like dis and wants to use Hope technology to freeze population until problemo solved
your Scientist friend has some other plan about this

game ends with skipping Hope to some place depending on your choices and I take it fighting some boss maybeh, depends on who you side with - your Scientist friend becomes main boss if you side with the Board plan about putting colony into hibernation. if u do dis, people who you made productive and helped go first and will unfreeze first (?)

I also finished black pinkhaired huntress lady companion quest. It was very boring.
The main plot is not very boring. But the whole game around it really is.

When you're out of the loop for 70 years, you really want to hear what the world is like - and I feel Edgewater is how they try to introduce the corporation angle. We have the Employer & Employee relationship working out and how the things we perceive as 'mismanagement' is justified as 'community challenges that needs to be tackled together as a family'

It gives the idea that 'Ok, so that's what passes as 'normal' nowadays.'
And if they cannot hook you after that intro - there's no way to recapture you into the plot IMO.
Either you accept the status quo or just try to break the system whenever you can to less satisfactory results.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
God, that Pavarti quest, it's like they handed off two decently written characters to a twelve years old tumblr fanfiction writer and called it a day.

You know what's funny? Everybody hates that quest and everybody keeps doing it anyway. They knew exactly what they were doing. It's the most infuriating dumbest quest no sane person would want to do, but they've given it to companion so nice and kind you can't force yourself to kick her out of the party.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
10 hours in, game keeps crashing when I try to return to Groundbreaker no matter how much I fiddle with settings, I guess this is God's way of saying to give up already.
Exploration was fun, shootings at bugs and robits with my big gun was fun, everything else blew dick.
My main takeaway is that Tim should be locked in a cage and not allowed to design systems anymore, I'd take Balanceman shenanigans anyday over this babyproof'd nonsense .

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
God, that Pavarti quest, it's like they handed off two decently written characters to a twelve years old tumblr fanfiction writer and called it a day.

You know what's funny? Everybody hates that quest and everybody keeps doing it anyway. They knew exactly what they were doing. It's the most infuriating dumbest quest no sane person would want to do, but they've given it to companion so nice and kind you can't force yourself to kick her out of the party.

Well... killing an entire factory of robots... braving gunfire and death is worth less EXP than taking a girl to her idol for a small chat.

:lol: Hooray reward vs effort!

Theophrastus

Educated
There are a couple reasons for my short run-time. The first perk I got was the sprint one. Since you can run indefinitely it was p. easy to sprint everywhere and then use fast travel. I think I cut even more time through sneaking and using disguises. The final world was meant to be this big climax but I didn't fight anyone until the final boss. I passed a dialogue check which gave me an ID to use.

It's pretty disappointing how there isn't much reactivity with disguises. On Tartarus, the final planet, you get help from all your allies. I had the Groundbreaker and MSI / Iconoclasts. Since I was wearing a Board disguise I expected to get shot at by them, but they ignored. So I ended up just waltzing through the final mission while everyone was killing each other :negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Official word count for The Outer Worlds: 600,000 https://www.newsweek.com/outer-worlds-script-size-story-war-peace-developers-1467597
There was no traditional script for The Outer Worlds, but rather a long series of flow charts with different dialogue trees for quests. The whole game features about 600,000 words of spoken dialogue, which is comparable in length to epic novels like War and Peace.
Equal to Knights of the Old Republic

Additionally, placeholder companion writing credits:

Ellie - Carrie Patel
Parvati - originally Chris L'Etoile, then Kate Dollarhyde
Nyoka - Dan McPhee
Felix - Nitai Poddar (confirmed by Patel)
Vicar Max - Leonard Boyarsky with additional writing from Megan Starks
SAM - Megan Starks

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Game is consistently crashing at a point stopping me from talking to chairman rockwell?

Anyone had this? I think I can shoot my way past but I want chat time.

mondblut

Arcane
They don't want streamers using offensive named for their broadcasts.
What sort of retarded logic is that? They can stipulate to the streamers not to use offensive names on their streams.

or what?

I am almost tempted to pirate this shit, hex edit the character's name to "Nigger jew faggot cunt" and stream it, but that sounds like too much effort. Pirating and streaming, that is.

Vatnik Wumao
They don't want streamers using offensive named for their broadcasts.
What sort of retarded logic is that? They can stipulate to the streamers not to use offensive names on their streams.

or what?

I am almost tempted to pirate this shit, hex edit the character's name to "Nigger jew faggot cunt" and stream it, but that sounds like too much effort. Pirating and streaming, that is.
In regards to either the streaming platforms or those given early access by the developers. Otherwise they can't justify forbidding anyone on how to play their game.

And yeah, wouldn't bother to pirate it myself.

Codex Year of the Donut
Man, what the hell. My play time is almost at 16h and I still haven't stepped foot at Monarch and there are 2 or 3 other planets I think beside it to explore that are shadowed out as well and you guys are finishing it already?
I'm at over 20 hours and I'm still on Monarch, I haven't visited most of the planets yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom