Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have a question. As someone who never played FNV - should I get FNV or TOW, or they can't really be compared?
New vegas 100 percent, it's much more unique storywise it's one of the best ever

While the outer world's might seem interesting on the surface it's mostly bland shooting at creatures

Depends if you're after the story or care more about game play, such as combat, and graphics.

FNV gameplay was bad. TOW (and Fallout 4) is a little better, as long as you don't try to melee.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So does this get better in any way or is it the same bland slop the whole way through? I'm 7 hours in and ready to give up.

One observation though: ToW isn't New Vegas in space, it is low rent wacky Mass Effect with boring writing.

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm talking Fallout 1 structure, not Fallout 1 quality you ding dongs.

These "people" are constantly brofisting or outright posting themselves contradictory statements and opinions, as long as the tone and conclusion are the same - or negative in this case to be more exact.
Even if many of the game elements were totally opposite of what they are monkey would still be screeching and throwing their feces at it.

EDIT: It's not like we needed any extra proofs, but thank you for providing them. :)

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Man, what is it with those people? What can drive a man to get sucked into this dumbfuck religion? Lack of testosterone?
1527687526965.png

Longshanks

Augur
Cut him some slack, he's sustained massive butt injury from how mediocre the game has turned out to be.
Yeah i wonder why he's on Codex in the first place. Why not join something like ResetEra instead of here? I don't mean this as an insult, but it's obvious he's not exactly the right fit for this place. I mean... the freaking first page of the forum says we are terrible people...
Hard to believe but the R in RPGCodex used to stand for Role, not reverse-sjw.

gongal

Educated
The fact that Tim Cain approved this product creates a clear picture of a low IQ boomer.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
World kinda keeps me in, writing isn't that bad. Anyone who says otherwise is an ANCAP retard who gets triggered over how Ancapistan is portrayed. The gameplay/shooting however, is pure ass. I'd rather play FNV again from that perspective.

Prime Junta

There was some place I was going through, forget which one, where there was a marauder sitting on the can. Shot him right in the head. That was lulzy

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If they wanted make fun space western, they should've watched The Adventures of Brisco County jr. even though it's just western show with very light steampunk elements on it, but it has a lot more charm and the comedy works.

I'd love to get a game with character like Pete Hutter played John Pyper-Ferguson, who is genuinely fun and comedic character, who is very likable even though he is a criminal.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It astounds me when I see people finishing 20-hour games in two to three days and then be like "it was bad/mediocre". Takes me at least a week to beat a game of this size even when I like it.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Well, I beat the game. It was pretty OK. A bit annoyed the story only started to get interesting right before it ended. Not many memorable quests or characters, faction system seems kinda pointless. Maybe I'll go play Disco Elysium.
yeah but without interesting quests or characters or good lore what is even the point to play it? Dated graphics, mediocre combat and a huge amount of WOKE!

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
World kinda keeps me in, writing isn't that bad. Anyone who says otherwise is an ANCAP retard who gets triggered over how Ancapistan is portrayed. The gameplay/shooting however, is pure ass. I'd rather play FNV again from that perspective.
I mean if your vision of ancapistan is taken from ancap ball memes(botched and unfunny ones) then yes, indeed.

Longshanks

Augur
Best recent actiony-close-to-RPG I've played is RDR2 and this game looks nowhere near that level.

Eh what?
Ok not close for some RPG definitions (including mine for the overall game), but at times it felt more like one than many openworld action RPGs. Mostly due to world building and emergent or emergent-seeming gameplay. if it makes you more comfortable let's say best recent actiony-game-with-rpg-elements. What it seems to have over TOW is better writing and a far better realised world. It could have been truly great if R* had decided to advance their game design and also lean further into a more serious sim.

Bonerbill

Augur
I'm talking Fallout 1 structure, not Fallout 1 quality you ding dongs.

These "people" are constantly brofisting or outright posting themselves contradictory statements and opinions, as long as the tone and conclusion are the same - or negative in this case to be more exact.
Even if many of the game elements were totally opposite of what they are monkey would still be screeching and throwing their feces at it.

EDIT: It's not like we needed any extra proofs, but thank you for providing them. :)

These people here are retards who hate everything. There no getting through to them.

Longshanks

Augur
It's as if the Microsoft buyout and the Epic deal made the Codex a nuisance from the distant past.

This game was pretty much complete by the time they got the Epic deal and the Microsoft buyout. It's a symptom of the same disease but not caused by them.
It was always clearly an attempt to cash in on their success with FO:NV. Being their own game it would inevitably need to be safer, but they were aiming for the same market. They'd have been mad not to try.

I don't think it says much about their future direction as Microsidian is a different company. My guess is they'll make similar games but with more support they may not have to be quite so safe. Potentially higher peaks and lower troughs.

Replying to those who tagged as Fabulously Optomistic - not myself.

Eh, not optimistic. "similar games" is not what I'm after. A game of this type could be worth playing if the writing were good and the world more than a background for zaniness. I have some hope we could get that with Microsoft backing, but not much and even then the high bar is still only a game I'd barely want to play. To be fair though, I don't play many games anymore.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
thinking. "Why am I even playing this piece of shit?" I've already beaten it and done every quest why am I doing it again? It isn't even a good game.

Deep inside your heart, there's something that you like about the game. Are you playing as dumb character now ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom