Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Laidlawesome is a console declinist

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
When asked about the influence of DE on RPG design: "People will hold all RPGs to this standard, without recognizing what it took to achieve the level of writing here [...] It's going to have a huge impact, we're very much going to be in a post-Disco Elysium world..."

Like we were in a post-Torment world.

Wow I have no idea where that thing is. It might be easier to draw another one
She was on Dropbox, you villain. And you murdered her! Here's the original post as proof of your crimes:

Did you guys notice that NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES is at SXSW?

Here, I drew some fan art of a showering Klaasje to accompany the news:

SxSW.png

See the rest of ´em here.

Note, how ZA/UM STUDIO has it´s legal name listed. They should have included the VAT code as well, why don´t they

I'm bringing you in.
6zW0M8T25q9pAqFUs.jpeg

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
27 hours and a half - or in the game world, 7 full days. That's what it took my detective Harry du Bois to solve the case, reconcile with the past, regain some degree of self-respect and get readmitted to the ranks of humanity (and 41st Presinct).

Sure, it's not the promised 60 hours. But I feel 27-30 hours is the right length for a detective story of such kind. A longer saga might have lost focus and pace. So I am happy with how it turned out. And boy, what a game that was.
I must say that the Tribunal scene was more emotionally engaging than most combats I fought in RPGs in the last several years. Constant skillchecks, so many that they basically made save scumming unlikely. Rhetoric, my findings or lack thereof, reflexes, hand-eye coordination... I just rolled with what I got from my skills, previous detective work and merciful dice. Good writing of a dynamic scene with everything happening in the same time, once I made the tough decision of pulling that trigger. Chaos, people dying all around and me thinking more about saving Kim than my own character... that's definately a stuff of legends. BTW, I lost 6 people: 3 mercenaries and 3 hardies. Managed to save Kim and avoid the first bullet. Took the other one for the team, like a good policeman would. Felt fear and despair when Harry was drowning in darkness. And then a great relief when he decided not to die, because the case was still not solved. Definately I will remember this as one of my greatest gaming experiences of all time.

And then there was more. Meeting Dolores Dei/Harry's former wife. The conversation with the deserter. Appearance of the phasmid and bizarre, hypnotic discussion with it. Final police "trial" in the fishing village. Great, profound shit. Excellent writing, fascinating lore, rich world full of delightful weirdness. I savoured every bite of it.

I know that many events were heavily scripted and that players' choice was often an illusion. But the tale that Disco Elysium tells somewhat justifies these choices (though I would prefer to have an option to do things in a different order, thus achieving different result of the Tribunal). I expected a classic noir story and got so much more. I am sincerely happy that I listened to the initial RPGCodex hype and decided to make the purchase.

For me Disco Elysium stands proudly among the giants of the genre. A proud successor of Planescape: Torment that did not try to imitate, but achieved a similar mastery of worldbuilding, storytelling and player immersion.

To summarize this long post: it was a fucking good journey and I regret nothing.

Terenty

Liturgist
I gotta ask, is the infamous shivers check of 20 that lots of people had problems with
the one with the wall near the village? When i encounered it with my 2 shivers i had 86% chance, cause i had 6 or 7 modifiers from all the side stuff i did prior. Needless to say i had zero problems with it.

If you just rush the game whose fault is it really

Silentstorm

Learned
Yes, it's a great game, now where is my DLC where Harry Dubois spreads the joy of dancing after having awakened his inner dancer in the Church?

The salvation of the world through dance music and just plain awesome dance skills, that is the destiny for which Harry was born for and what will lead him to surpass Dolores Dei as the most beloved human in history!

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
For those interested (because I sure wasn't going to wait for the official OST release), I have recorded in-game and uploaded the dice maker's theme to YouTube.

Stakhanov

Augur
I gotta ask, is the infamous shivers check of 20 that lots of people had problems with
the one with the wall near the village? When i encounered it with my 2 shivers i had 86% chance, cause i had 6 or 7 modifiers from all the side stuff i did prior. Needless to say i had zero problems with it.

If you just rush the game whose fault is it really

Agree completely. To me the complaining about this check, esp. on the Steam forums, is the mark of a retard. You need to pass this to progress? BAD DESIGN wahhhhhh. These idiots are literally bamboozled by a text-based RPG.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Prime Junta is wrong.
What's "Jamrock"?

74e254af2ebdd3e74052aee2b2f2dd97.png
Jamrock and Martinaise are both districts in the city of Revachol, which is located on an island and is also a nation. Jamrock is split up into various "districts" or sections itself. Harry Du Bois lives in the district of Jamrock while this case takes place in Martinaise, another district. This is what Kim references when he says it is an interdepartmental pissing contest, as it's implied that there is an overlapping of jurisdictions between Kim and Harry's precincts.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uh okay but how is what you’re saying contradicting what I’m saying?
Because it's not a town. Martinaise and Jamrock are both in the same city. It'd be wrong to say that Chinatown is different from say the Fashion District in DTLA.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Different cities frequently overlap by are still different administrative regions. Take Tokyo for example, it's like 6 cities that have grown together.

I see no contradiction between them being two cities but both being part of the greater Revanchol.

Vatnik Wumao
I wrote “part of town” not “town.”
Martinaise is also part of the town though, the way you wrote it implies it's separate from Martinaise. And, even more importantly than all this other stuff, you ninjad my quality post with your boring explanation.
It's clear that he stated that it is a part of town and not part of a town and given that you already knew that Martinaise is part of Revachol, you would naturally perceive his phrasing as referring to another part of Revachol near Martinaise, but not necessarily next to it.

This is getting silly though.

Prime Junta

Hey now, we’re all friends here. Let’s go to the other thread to hate on California together.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
My second day of playing continues from day 3, and brings insane dopamine release during the questioning on the roof. Man that was superb fun, especially internal squabbles between skills. The game is so wonderfully rich with details. I'm only lamenting not enough time to binge the shit out of it.

Prime Junta

A patch dropped yesterday. This time they even had notes!

DISCO ELYSIUM Patch notes for version C50F6815 (viewable in the F1 menu, bottom right)
  • Fixed duplicate thoughts bug
  • Fixed Win7 game boot bug
  • Item and description changes
  • Adjusted text for Ultraliberal
  • Fixed Thought Cabinet “Problem” persisting upon finding a Solution
  • Fixed character creation stats not showing correctly bug
  • Fixed Kim badmouthing issue
  • Fixed misplaced area names
  • Fixed Dicemaker VO
  • Fixed Pigs spacebar bug
  • Fixed map white checks showing incorrectly
  • Fixed red tint after red check bug
  • Fixed gun not disappearing correctly after looting bug
  • Fixed boombox not playing
  • Fixed issue causing Kim dialog to lock
  • Improved character pathing and navmesh
  • Fixed Cleaning Lady visual glitches
  • Fixed Tequila getting stuck after sleeping on island
  • Fixed orbs in various places
  • Fixed cutscenes hovering over checks
  • Fixed quick-save/load breaking menus
  • Reduced max text size
  • Fixed player getting stuck in Dicemaker dialogue
  • Adjusted text for Overproductive Honour Glands
  • Fixed jackets sometimes hiding shirt items
  • Fixed HUD icons open state override
  • Fixed major nerd glasses bonus
  • Fixed Thought Cabinet white texture bug
  • Fixed inventory grid alignment bug
  • Fixed Egg Head animation glitch
  • Fixed Karaoke UI bug
  • Adjusted Church rumble VFX
  • Fixed the other shoe bug
  • Fixed issue with save file after player discovered the insulidian miracle
  • Fixed skill points negative accumulation
  • Fixed Frittte typo in area name
  • Fixed Tequila stops for inventory fix
  • Fixed whirling doors no longer bleeding light
  • Improved saving games.
  • Fixed issue caused by the thought “Insulindian Miracle.”
  • Fixed resolution switcher
  • Fixed internalized thoughts remaining highlighted in selection menu
  • Fixed camera weirdness in certain conditions pertaining to journal and character sheet
  • Adjusted ESC key for specific in-game segments
  • Solved the mystery of the disappearing shoe.
  • Fixed Kim remaining in a holster position under certain conditions
  • Fixed visual part of stat resets upon new character creation.
  • Fixed waking up bug
  • Fixed certain keyboard combinations breaking the HUD
  • Fixed Cindy camera lock issue
  • Fixed Gary's apartment door lock
  • Improved GOG achievements
  • Fixed karaoke crowd and loot
  • Fixed Doomspiral outline issues
  • Fixed Unity light artifacting issues
  • Improved weather changes during dialogues
  • Improved FPS all around
  • Fixed electrochemistry smokes bug
  • Fixed health bar displaying incorrect amounts
  • Fixed getting stuck at phasmid after electrochem check

Remember to report any bugs you may find! - Bug Report -

Anybody know how to get the gluten achievement by the way?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Achievements? I play on my office laptop (it has a mobile GTX1660) and I just install from GOG with no Galaxy. Perfection.

Stakhanov

Augur
A patch dropped yesterday. This time they even had notes!

Anybody know how to get the gluten achievement by the way?

I'm curious about this too, if only because it makes me wonder what major secret(s) no one has found yet. My theory was it might have something to do with the borscht you can get from the cook or the sandwich you can convince Gaston to relinquish, but couldn't find a way to use them.

Longshanks

Augur
Disco clearly hits most of the marks I look for in an RPG and the low to no combat is a big plus. Only have my laptop atm though so will need to see if that's gonna work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom