Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Deleted Member 22431

PoE still had a soul.
Look at how far we've come. This piece of sheit is so bad that it made PoE look like it had a soul. Can you imagine a game being so uninspired that it made PoE look good? Let's stop and think about that for a moment.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Quick explanation for "people" who don't understand why the Pvarti quest/character is bad.

We are railroaded into not only condoning the mental illness homosexuality but also taking part in facilitating it, this is evil. At no point can we say "Did you know you are mentally ill? How can you be trusted to repair my ship?"

If this game had good writing we'd be able to fix her illness. Oh if you tell her to "Focus on your work" then it breaks her character and she can't talk to you anymore and it says she dies in her ending even if she is alive.

Actually you can tell her to fuck off however you cannot tell her to fuck off because she is gay.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm talking Fallout 1 structure, not Fallout 1 quality you ding dongs.

How Fallout are we talking here? One of my favorite things about Fallout 1/2/New Vegas is that you're told to find a thing and with metaknowledge you can immediately go to the thing; there's no forced "you have to go here and do this then go here and do this then go here and do this" like in most RPGs (including Arcanum, unfortunately) at least until after you've resolved your primary objective (though Fallout 1 lets you go after the military base and Cathedral in the order of your choosing and there are multiple ways of dealing with them).

15 hours in the main quest is basically a McGuffin, so I'm sure there's a way to speedrun it, once you figure out where everything is. And then you also have the option to screw the main quest guy right at the start. I'm not sure if anyone has tried it yet and how it goes.

I wanted a libertarian simulator and this isn't it at all. I can't even buy recreational nukes.

I just robbed some stinking unemployed commies and they were forced to go back to work and slave away at the factory for minimal wages.

Corporate man, through and through.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually you can tell her to fuck off however you cannot tell her to fuck off because she is gay.

To top it off the character is voiced by Ashley Burch. Hello? I feel like I am the only sane person here she's the sister of a genuine cuckold.

How is this permitted? What are then even doing at ObCISian?

Prime Junta

Is it like KotOR where you get to pick the order of the planets or is it railroaded?

At least partly railroaded. I didn't actually check every bit of this so I may be mistaken (I'll note the bits I didn't verify), but it goes something like this:

First, you're dropped at Edgewater. You need to complete the quests there to get your spaceship back in the air, until then you can't leave.
Then, you go to a space station, where you're informed that you need a landing permit to get to Stellar Bay on Monarch, which is the next step for the quest. So I ran errands to do that. However, I think Cascadia, another location on the same map as the quest target is open, so you could actually go straight there, then trek cross-country.
Another couple of locations appear to be open on the map all the time. I didn't check whether they were open from the beginning or if something I did opened them.
There is at least one major location* (Byzantium) which is still locked. I checked. It figures in a companion quest and a dialogue option with her actually was "But we can't get into Byzantium."

*Apart from the endgame dungeon

So this is much more closed than Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV, or even KOTOR, with many significant areas plot gated.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
is asexuality an actual sexuality?

No it isn't. This is caused by a hormone imbalance or mental trauma from being molested, similar to homosexuality. All of these illnesses are caused and can be cured.

To even pretend that these illnesses are going to be in a SCI FI setting with space ships and plasma guns is ridiculous to say the least.
"I'm asexual"

quest notification: take Parvati to the doctor dungeon

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No it isn't. This is caused by a hormone imbalance or mental trauma from being molested, similar to homosexuality. All of these illnesses are caused and can be cured.

To even pretend that these illnesses are going to be in a SCI FI setting with space ships and plasma guns is ridiculous to say the least.
Sources...?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is her whole thing!

- It's like Cook-Cook is rapist
- MCA: ok... but why?

- Well Parvati she's like asexual
- MCA: ok... but why??
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHY

Her whole personal quest is dis shit!

I'm 10 hours in and there has barely been any of it so far. She talked about her dad a lot and was awkward around the guy who had a crush on her, that's it. If it gets "hammer to the head" annoying later, I'll be sure to call it out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is it like KotOR where you get to pick the order of the planets or is it railroaded?

At least partly railroaded. I didn't actually check every bit of this so I may be mistaken (I'll note the bits I didn't verify), but it goes something like this:

First, you're dropped at Edgewater. You need to complete the quests there to get your spaceship back in the air, until then you can't leave.
Then, you go to a space station, where you're informed that you need a landing permit to get to Stellar Bay on Monarch, which is the next step for the quest. So I ran errands to do that. However, I think Cascadia, another location on the same map as the quest target is open, so you could actually go straight there, then trek cross-country.
Another couple of locations appear to be open on the map all the time. I didn't check whether they were open from the beginning or if something I did opened them.
There is at least one major location (Byzantium) which is still locked. I checked. It figures in a companion quest and a dialogue option with her actually was "But we can't get into Byzantium."

So this is much more closed than Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV, or even KOTOR, with many significant areas plot gated.
On this part I disagree, you can actually try to report Phineas when you arrive at the Space Station and that opens an alternate path where you go to Roseway at Terra 2, then Bizantiun, THEN Monarch.

Mojobeard

Augur
One of the things that works in these types of games is everything having a clear identity. Broad strokes. Hooman brain like clear distinction, ugh.
F:NV factions are all obvious; inmate explodyboys, greasers, romans, etc. You immediately know who I'm talking about. Try in just a few words describe any of these corporations. Hell, take your time and try remembering anything about them.
And it is a Star Wars thing to have an city planet, a desert planet, forest planet, etc. But it works, worked in KotORs well in giving a broad identity to a planet. Like an ice level and an undersea level in an old platformer. The game is visually incredibly bland in something that's not going for realism and with such saturated colors.
It's just one of those things that needs to be underlined many times in the design doc. And they fucked it up.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There is at least one major location* (Byzantium) which is still locked. I checked. It figures in a companion quest and a dialogue option with her actually was "But we can't get into Byzantium."

You can enter Byzantium if you buy the Board guy's ID badge back from the granny. You don't have to go through with selling out the scientist guy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I started a new New Vegas playthrough. Last time I played was maybe 5 years ago and I'm delighted to find out I don't remember jack shit from this game. It's like a fresh new experience, nice.

I've only cleared the tutorial village but so far I can say this - I was wrong, open-world is better. It's just fucking better, full stop. No matter the flaws - the occasional trudge, a few pointless places etc. - the feeling of freedom is priceless. Instances are fine but they'll always be inferior, especially if they're locked with retarded plot keys.

Also the tutorial quest in NV is meagre as fuck, at least TOW improved on that one thing. But the writing calibre is already clear, the dialogues and general vibe aren't forcing me to inject crystal meth directly into my brain to stay awake, altho the VO is shit to be honest. Just a 2010 standard I guess.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://archive.is/LRe05 Enjoy. I've got some cool infographs too if you don't like reading.
You can go and fuck yourself with that last sentence, Repressed Homo. I'll take a look at that, though I can't tell if that's just a list of random links or list of research papers. I'm only interested in the latter to be clear. I see some jstor there, so that can be not completely worthless...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

*Apart from the endgame dungeon

I wouldn't say it's more closed then KOTOR - Edgewater is much quicker than either Peragus or Taris. Plus you can probably metagame your way out of it even faster and I'm guessing the same goes for the navkey to Monarch. Otherwise, yeah. I've been mostly diddlying around various planets so far and only doing main quest when it's convenient.

Molina

Savant

There is at least one major location (Byzantium) which is still locked. I checked. It figures in a companion quest and a dialogue option with her actually was "But we can't get into Byzantium."

On this part I disagree, you can actually try to report Phineas when you arrive at the Space Station and that opens an alternate path where you go to Roseway at Terra 2, then Bizantiun, THEN Monarch.
We have nothing to decide on.The choice is given far too early.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom