Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Prime Junta

did the reviewers get pot & cocaine along with their review copies to actually like this garbage? Or was it the sweet microsoft dough!

Nah. The tragic thing is, a lot of people actually like this shit.

I'm not at all surprised at the review scores. This is really easily digestible.

I know I've been shitting on it here nonstop but that's only because I was hoping for something more, not just another lazy, safe, one-note, one-joke thing.

why am I searching abandoned factory on acid planet for fruitcake for an asexual

I found the fruitcake. Now she wants nicer togs. She's one demanding asexual. Also apparently unable to do the most basic things, like her own shopping. I'm amazed she made it to 28.

Theophrastus

Educated
Something that irks me the more I think about it: waking up from an unexpected 70 year cryostasis would be an incredibly traumatic experience - not just physically (which the game notes) but mentally too. The entire world you know no longer exists and everyone you loved is likely to be dead. The game doesn't address this at all. I'm not saying there should have been a backstory quest of some sort, which would harm role-playing potential, but it would have been less jarring if you could comment on how much (or little) things had changed.

Prime Junta

Much of the stuff you ask for in that post does in fact exist in the game. It may not lean into it as hard as you want, but it’s definitely there. Half the people in Edgewater told me to stop asking so many questions and stop mentioning the Hope, or the board will come down on me and possibly the whole town. Numerous other references to collective punishment. There’s propaganda all over the place. The company towns are all police states with a free market fetish. They’ve created a whole religion to justify the regime. Just weird to pretend like none of that’s there. I wish TOW had more bite, but that doesn’t mean it’s toothless.

I strongly differ here. It is toothless. It's all window-dressing, or hammering away at the one-note joke. The propaganda is joke propaganda, the religion is a joke religion, and the brainwashed drones don't even take their own brainwashing seriously. Like, the religious character's vision quest ended by taking drugs and him shooting his ego in the face, FFS. There's no weight to any of it. It's carefully de-fanged, pretend satire, the diametrical opposite of something with teeth.

If there were most posts like @Kyl Von Kull this forum would pass for a legitimate place to discuss games.

Strong agree, he's a quality poster even if he's sometimes wrong.

I'm not saying there should have been a backstory quest of some sort, which would harm role-playing potential, but it would have been less jarring if you could comment on how much (or little) things had changed.
Nah.. why do that when they can give you a trait for +4% effect from food items? It's obviously so much better this way...

Nines_Anarch

Learned
Well, the game does one thing good:

It serves as inspiration to shitpost about it.

We cannot deny it. Obsidian did a good job on that regard.

Avellone did abandon the ship on time. We can't blame him. I mean, who would happy to appear in the credits of TOW?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Something that irks me the more I think about it: waking up from an unexpected 70 year cryostasis would be an incredibly traumatic experience - not just physically (which the game notes) but mentally too. The entire world you know no longer exists and everyone you loved is likely to be dead. The game doesn't address this at all. I'm not saying there should have been a backstory quest of some sort, which would harm role-playing potential, but it would have been less jarring if you could comment on how much (or little) things had changed.

You get a bunch of “the world has gone insane” type dialogue options in Edgewater.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

Avellone did abandon the ship on time. We can't blame him.
Nines, let me tell you one horrible truth. The Outer Worlds isn't great, it's just OK. But it's already much better than what you can hope for with Bloodlines 2.

Quillon

Arcane
The entire world you know no longer exists

Wasn't that the point? :P

everyone you loved is likely to be dead.

Assuming the loved ones were back on earth; you've already accepted to be 10 years younger than they will be and never to see them again. And if they came with you, its more likely they are still frozen on Hope rather than have woken up 60 years earlier on Groundbreaker. There is a convo with Vicar in which you can say you have friends, family etc still frozen.

Rafidur

Learned
There's a conversation with felix when he asks "isn't it weird when an old friend contacts you and...", one of the responses is along the lines of "ALL MY FRIENDS ARE DEAAAD".

Bendu

Augur
I would say it's Obsidians worst written game yet. The companions are boring and the story isn't very interesting so far. Except for the Moonman I haven't met an interesting NPC yet. But I like the artdesign and the setting (though it really should take itself a little more serious) and the game seems to have some nice C&C. Maybe I will try a Lone Wolf/The Board playthrough someday.

But Obsidian should really reconsider its writing staff. On the one side we had Kreia, Okku, Gann, Kaelyn, One of Many, Veronica, Boone, Arcade and so on... Now we got Maia, Xoti, Tekehu, Parvati, Felix and Ellie.

:negative:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If there were most posts like @Kyl Von Kull this forum would pass for a legitimate place to discuss games.
What do you think this here is? ResetEra?

No but somehow at times it manages to be worse than reddit.

Give it time. Edgelords ranting about politics and fruitcakes writing weepy farewell letters to Obsidian but somehow continuing to play the game is just business as usual for a Codex launch week.

Nines_Anarch

Learned

Avellone did abandon the ship on time. We can't blame him.
Nines, let me tell you one horrible truth. The Outer Worlds isn't great, it's just OK. But it's already much better than what you can hope for with Bloodlines 2.

I know, but I won't believe it till I play it.
Unfortunately they say the worse is yet to come...

I am fine as long as I am in the game and kick somebodies ass. For the good old days...

But yeah, it seems the good old days will stay in the past forever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Give it time. Edgelords ranting about politics and fruitcakes writing weepy farewell letters to Obsidian but somehow continuing to play the game is just business as usual for a Codex launch week.
Not everyone lives in your black/white world. We are just disappointed.
Woe typically takes a break from the forum on weekends. She'll probably be back tomorrow.
Cute

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
But it's already much better than what you can hope for with Bloodlines 2.
Mmhm. Pour one out for anyone optimistic about that game, that thread will be unreadable when it launches.

Yep, I can't even imagine Bloodlines after it gets sanitized by political correctness they way TOW is. That franchise should stay dead, there's nothing interesting they can say in that setting in the current climate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It doesn't deserve it,it needs it! How am i to finish this shit if can't just alt tab every hour or so and laugh at some edgy shitpost???
Even the shit-posts aren't enough to hold me through this mediocrity. I abandoned ship.

Makes me wonder though, did the reviewers get pot & cocaine along with their review copies to actually like this garbage? Or was it the sweet microsoft dough!
Nah,they played the first 5 hours and just ditch it. Why do you expect journos to actually finish the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom